Would You Buy An S or RS Audi Avant

• Yes

Votes: 39 90.7%
  • No

Votes: 4 9.3%

• Total voters

JT641

Banned
Oh god yes. I wrote PARAGRAPHS in both the survey's I got for my S3 and S4 (they go to the dealership but also to AoA) for the additional comments. I begged them to A) Give us the already low production.low sales Avants like the RSs B) Give us limited numbers of at least the S4 Avant, and C) To fix the Allroad and offer it with at least one additional powerplant (give us 3.0 TDI).

I have explained to my dealer that if they will give us the RS3 in Sportback and NOT sedan, I would trade out for it. LOL

I had a Q5 TDI for 10 months, one of the best SUVs out there for handling and power with that monster torque diesel. But it was still an SUV, my 328d wagon may have less power but it is SO much more fun to drive. I do sometimes miss the nimble Quattro but hey if Audi won't sell what I want, I will go to where they do.

I know a lot of the issue is crash testing for the federal government, but seriously, isn't Europe way more nanny and health and safety than us? So can't we just say "Look, it's safe enough for those high visibility jacket wearing Euros, it's got to be safe enough for the US." :D

Yes limited numbers might be the way to go at least for the RS Models (Volvo Did that with there V60R Polestar and sold everyone of them), But it would definitely be nice to have an RS6 Avant (my choice) that's like a Gallardo disguised as an Avant/Wagon :D But I may end up doing like you did Except I would go with a Mercedes Benz as they are the only one (out all of the German car companies) currently offering a Super Wagon/Avant/Estate there E63-S AMG. BTW they are coming with a competitor to the RS3 the C450 AMG.

I would definitely prefer a Wagon / Avant over a Crossover or SUV.

I think the reason S / RS wagons aren't sold in the states is simply due to the lack of demand. Wagons are already unpopular in the US market. Those looking for a vehicle to seat 5+, haul bikes, gear, kids, groceries, and tackle any weather would probably lean towards an SUV. It's not to say that the wagons are less capable, it's just marketing and public perception that SUV's are the way to go.

Now considering that wagons are unpopular in the states, the margin of buyers looking for an S / RS model is even slimmer. Audi already offers the RS5, and the RS7. Considering the small group of buyers, you've got both camps covered ... one super coupe and one super sedan. Once you offer RS3, RS4, and RS6 wagons to an already decreasing market, I suspect Audi would see tons of unsold cars on their lots.

I'm not saying bring over everything, Maybe one S model and one RS model but also an A model in Avant (we had the A4 or A6? Avant up until a couple years ago). The only thing Audi of America offers currently (New) is the Audi A3 Sportback E-Tron That's All Folks !!! The way for these Vehicles to get sold here in better numbers is through marketing which is up to them to do that. They need to do what the US Big 3 Auto Makers Did in there marketing of the SUV basically.

I think if you look in the comments for the above videos and other videos of those models You'll see the US's public perception is changing, Just not what it is in Europe though.

Last edited:

colslaw87

Ready to race!
We know that wagons and hatchbacks are plenty capable because we're enthusiasts. We bought them for a reason. It's the public's perception of safety and cargo capacity which makes people lean towards SUV's. We've been groomed to believe that the large SUV's are better in bad weather, safer than smaller cars, and have more room inside. There is obviously truth in some cases.

In general the US has more physical space to park SUV's. I guarantee you'll see more wagons and hatchbacks in US cities because people tend to be more conscious about space.

Honestly, it's all about marketing. Auto manufacturers could easily create campaigns to herd the millions of sheep towards buying wagons and hatchbacks again.

theunholy

Go Kart Champion
That's cool, Just want Honest Legitimate feedback. I think some people have just become predisposed to choose SUV's because they think they're more capable (not entirely true) thanks to commercials and the way they are promoted. Fact is there aren't many options as far as wagons go, As there numbers have dwindled to almost nothing because of SUV's. Yet there are people out there that would prefer to have a Wagon/Avant instead but there choices are to Limited. On the other hand it's the opposite in Countries Like England and Germany. Think about it, All an SUV really is Is just a tall Wagon/Avant. I think a lot of people would prefer driving a wagon because some have a hard to driving them, Just go to any Supermarket parking lot and watch them trying to Park there SUV's it's ridiculous :lol: A wagon will handle better because of it's Lower Center of Gravity and be easier to see out of. In the Early Days of the SUV you had a lot of people flipping them over because of there High Center of Gravity and even with more safety features it's still happening Today Though not as much as it use to. I think if we had more choices we would have more people looking at them and realizing they prefer a Wagon over an SUV, But Sadly we don't :(
True, Its funny that to me Audi has the best wagon model line up out there. But all we get is the silly Allroad.... lol

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Yeah, I think they need to try at least one first, say an RS3 avant version here, to see how it flies, and then go from there.

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
That's cool, Just want Honest Legitimate feedback. I think some people have just become predisposed to choose SUV's because they think they're more capable (not entirely true) thanks to commercials and the way they are promoted. Fact is there aren't many options as far as wagons go, As there numbers have dwindled to almost nothing because of SUV's. Yet there are people out there that would prefer to have a Wagon/Avant instead but there choices are to Limited. On the other hand it's the opposite in Countries Like England and Germany. Think about it, All an SUV really is Is just a tall Wagon/Avant. I think a lot of people would prefer driving a wagon because some have a hard to driving them, Just go to any Supermarket parking lot and watch them trying to Park there SUV's it's ridiculous :lol: A wagon will handle better because of it's Lower Center of Gravity and be easier to see out of. In the Early Days of the SUV you had a lot of people flipping them over because of there High Center of Gravity and even with more safety features it's still happening Today Though not as much as it use to. I think if we had more choices we would have more people looking at them and realizing they prefer a Wagon over an SUV, But Sadly we don't :(

Another reason is european taxes, SUV/CUV's have expensive taxes, which will require bigger engine than an average car and wagon, gas is more expensive, and also small spaces. I can see why the cars we want in the market are popular there. Being born and raised in Europe, seeing SUV's almost everywhere are odd to me, especially when a 16 year old drives one, whereas where i'm from 18 year old SUV driver = rich kid, no way around it. In my country cars like Suburban, Tahoe, Expedition, Escalade cost $16,000 a year in taxes alone :eek:

Cars like CRV, tiguan, rav 4 are considered to be expensive there.

I can definitely see why crossovers are popular in my area, since we have shitton of potholes, they somewhat make sense.

JT641

Banned
Good valid points all of you :thumbsup:

Personally I think a good percentage of those driving Crossovers IE; Subaru Outback Volvo XC60 ETC.. would consider or buy a Wagon/Avant. My oldest sister went from a Big Mitsubishi Montero to a Toyota Matrix, My next oldest sister bought a Subaru Outback. Some of there decisions were based on price and some of it was based on marketing and maybe some because so and so has one?. I think there is this gradual subtle shift in the mindset of the Average Car Buyer that is Slowly Moving Away from SUV's and Maybe it's something that needs to Be Pointed Out To Them. We need to Speak Up Loud and Clear so Audi and the Rest get the Message that we want more choices and better ones as well. Otherwise it's not going to change. We Need to Tell Them What We Want & Not Them Telling Us What We Should Have!!!!! Post it on there Facebook and Twitter Pages until they get the Message, Invite them To Car Meets So they can see How Much We Liked/Like there Past Offerings. Change Starts By Speaking Up Loud and Clear.

Updated post #1 with Audi FB Page link

Last edited:

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 Golf R Stg3 APR
Hell, they killed the CTS-V wagon after, what, 3 or 4 years?

These are sad days, friends.

LOL, that thing was atrocious though. They killed the Magnum too, but both were just catastrophically ugly and cheaply built.

Should we stop selling hatchbacks cause the Yugo is gone? ;)

It really does come down to advertising and the gullibility/foolishness of the American consumer. People are convinced they need 13" of ground clearance and a giant vehicle to take 2 kids to school. And what's the most hilarious is now everyone is like "the SUV is too big...." and they are flooding the market with just tiny SUVs like the Q3, X1, Rav4 (and Honda is making any even smaller one now with 2 doors? WTF). So, people are basically buying hatchbacks....that have been force fed and fattened up.

It's hilariously stupid.

You KNOW there are guys out there with nag wives forcing them into minivan's and SUVs, the guys take the SUV cause it's more manly than a Minivan.......but picture this for a commercial.....and this is TOTALLY Audi's type.

An old wood paneled station wagon rolling up to a stoplight next to a SUV, the guy in the SUV looks over and laughs as the light turns green he takes off and an overlay shows his gas gauge dropping.

Then a S4/RS4 roars past with two kids sitting nicely in the back seat laughing at the SUV. The driver smiles up at the mirror at the kids, flicks the downshift paddle and carves up a mountain road while the SUV trundles along way back......

Closes with the words "Not your grandfather's wagon......."

Another one could be the big dumb SUV in snow ditch since they just spin on ice they are so fat, and an avant driving past safely to showcase Quattro and the nimble low center of gravity.

I'm not saying they'll sell 200,000 Avants the first year, but......you won't sell any if you don't try. You have to advertise them and you have to bring them over so people can actually buy them. Claiming no one is buying them when you don't advertise them and only sell a watered down version that doesn't offer anything more is silly.

JT641

Banned
LOL, that thing was atrocious though. They killed the Magnum too, but both were just catastrophically ugly and cheaply built.

Should we stop selling hatchbacks cause the Yugo is gone? ;)

It really does come down to advertising and the gullibility/foolishness of the American consumer. People are convinced they need 13" of ground clearance and a giant vehicle to take 2 kids to school. And what's the most hilarious is now everyone is like "the SUV is too big...." and they are flooding the market with just tiny SUVs like the Q3, X1, Rav4 (and Honda is making any even smaller one now with 2 doors? WTF). So, people are basically buying hatchbacks....that have been force fed and fattened up.

It's hilariously stupid.

You KNOW there are guys out there with nag wives forcing them into minivan's and SUVs, the guys take the SUV cause it's more manly than a Minivan.......but picture this for a commercial.....and this is TOTALLY Audi's type.

An old wood paneled station wagon rolling up to a stoplight next to a SUV, the guy in the SUV looks over and laughs as the light turns green he takes off and an overlay shows his gas gauge dropping.

Then a S4/RS4 roars past with two kids sitting nicely in the back seat laughing at the SUV. The driver smiles up at the mirror at the kids, flicks the downshift paddle and carves up a mountain road while the SUV trundles along way back......

Closes with the words "Not your grandfather's wagon......."

Another one could be the big dumb SUV in snow ditch since they just spin on ice they are so fat, and an avant driving past safely to showcase Quattro and the nimble low center of gravity.

I'm not saying they'll sell 200,000 Avants the first year, but......you won't sell any if you don't try. You have to advertise them and you have to bring them over so people can actually buy them. Claiming no one is buying them when you don't advertise them and only sell a watered down version that doesn't offer anything more is silly.

:laugh: :word: You also have people switching to Crossovers Like the Subaru Outback, Volvo XC60, Audi Allroad, Etc...

You can't sell what people don't know about or understand. It's up to corporate and marketing to come out with some good commercials.

I came up with one a while back, "Quit The SUV Get Back On The Wagon" Not sure if that would play out well in a commercial though :iono:

But I think your idea with the Dad in the S4/RS4 would definitely work well, I do once in a great while see some middle aged guy driving an S4 Avant and even an S6. So there are people out there that will buy them, But it's also a matter of appealing to the mainstream market as well for this to change long term.

Last edited:

JT641

Banned
Clearly there just not selling well enough, This showed up in my FB News Feed.. http://www.motorauthority.com/news/...z-cls-likely-to-drop-shooting-brake?fbfanpage Personally didn't care for the styling I Like the E63-S much better. We All Need to Tell Them (The Car Companies) or Else the Wagon will end up Like the Dinosaur:( :iono: It's like said above #24 "You can't sell what people don't know about or understand. It's up to corporate and marketing to come out with some good commercials". It's Clearly Obvious By this thread That There's a Definite Market for Them "Avants/Wagons" The Big Wigs in The Car Companies Just Need to Get The Message LOUD and CLEAR This is What We Want.

Some more Audi Awesomeness that We Don't Get :cry: :( https://www.facebook.com/revlimits1...209412296481/1627512757466145/?type=1&theater

Last edited:

JT641

Banned
LMAO!!! But also well put at the beginning of this Funny Video. These aren't the Wagons People Like me grew up with "These Are Way Cooler"!!!!!! :thumbup:

P.S. If you go to the Audi USA FB Page and look under Posts To Page you will see my comment (can't miss it) and you can add your +1's to it :D

Audi USA https://www.facebook.com/audi?pnref=lhc