GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Working under a car with jack stands

HipToss

Behind the iron sights
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Hey all,

Have to install a TBE, DV, and some new mounts. Do not have access to a lift today. Would it be "safe" to install these with the car on jack stands with all the wrenching and pulling to get the stock items off? Should I be worried about the car falling off and killing meself? Car will be on a VERY slight angle BTW.

Respect,

A

TwentyonePSI

Crody
Car(s)
FSI
I've done those (with the exception of the mounts) under stands in my driveway and felt fine about it. E-brake on/in gear/ block the tires and you should have no worries. My driveway has a slight incline as well.

Dredknut

DSG Fart Fanatic
Car(s)
2007 GTI
If its on an angle make sure you block the wheels for sure... However, if you only use 2 jackstands its going to be pretty tight to get under there to install something like a tbe...

Sounds like a big PIA, i'd just wait until you have access to a lift?

Genome

Hippest Teacher. Ever.
do it on the side of the street in front of your driveway or something, where its flat.

Thats your best bet to do anyting with efficiency.

Last edited:

Lucidity

Marx
do it on the side of the street in front of your driveway or something, where its flat.

Thats your best bet to do anyting with efficiency.

That sounds like a horrible idea...

PJ81

power hungry
why does the car have to be in gear? does that mean i put it in D with e-brake?

where do i find out where the jack stands go? is it in our owner's manual?

any suggestions on a quality (not not overly pricey) jack stand?
i'm looking to eventually install a TBE myself, so i want to make sure i'm doing it right.

kind of off-topic:
anyone else here have a CBFA TSI engine? it's annoying that we have to pay $15 extra for our intakes. i wanted the APR quad-tip TBE, but it's only available for CCTA... :(

RSC17

R32 OG
why does the car have to be in gear? does that mean i put it in D with e-brake?

where do i find out where the jack stands go? is it in our owner's manual?

any suggestions on a quality (not not overly pricey) jack stand?
i'm looking to eventually install a TBE myself, so i want to make sure i'm doing it right.

kind of off-topic:
anyone else here have a CBFA TSI engine? it's annoying that we have to pay $15 extra for our intakes. i wanted the APR quad-tip TBE, but it's only available for CCTA... :(

A manual car is different from a DSG car. If you have the car in gear it's like having it in P with the DSG.

Depends what you're doing. You can put the stands in the channel spot behind your skirts. That's where I usually put them.

Pretty much any jack stand will do the job. you really can't fuck up a jack stand.

Bliyun

GTI Scene Newbie
Car(s)
GTI MKV
Why don't you just wait til you can access a lift? This is your life you're putting on the line for 2 jack stands......IMO - WAIT FOR LIFT ACCESS! :)

safety first no matter how confident you are with those jack stands

dorn101

Jai Guru Deva Om
I just did a downpipe and DV on jack stands, no problem. Give the car a little shake before you get under it to make sure it settles, then put some spare wheels underneath the side skirts for some extra security.

HipToss

Behind the iron sights
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Car will be on 4 jackstands. I have the TBE installed, rocked a bit, but i was okey dokey. Time to finish...

Lucidity

Marx
maybe you didn't grasp what I said.

Instead of doing on his drive way that has an incline. he should do it in FRONT of his drive way on his street where there is no incline.

then again, you may be an idiot.

Working on a car in the street sounds like a horrible idea for various safety reasons; cars passing by being number one. Before calling someone an idiot, you might want to proofread.