Which Corvette will Chris buy?!?!

• C5

Votes: 12 32.4%
  • C6

Votes: 25 67.6%

• Total voters

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
What column lock eliminator did you end up with? I'm thinking about an LMC5. Want to install that pretty quickly.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FFXXXTC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I just bought this, hopefully it's fine. Seems pretty straight forward. I'm not really going to be home for more than 12-16 hours or so until 10/29 (fuck) so it'll be a bit. Tomorrow morning I'll do the rinseless wash and put the cover back on after I get the re-fixed headlight motor installed.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Pretty much. I committed to buy it from a guy, but he wants cash which requires me to move some funds around, and that takes a few days. Hopefully I'll have it next week.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/cto/4658703133.html

TL;DR version is I talked to this guy about a month ago. He was cool, he liked me, I was going to go drive the car when life came up. Then I went to drive a C6GS, and got on that kick. He contacted me last week that he really wanted to move the car (bought a house, needs money, etc) and that he wants to deal. I figured I should at least drive a C5 before making up my mind because a cash car with no car payment really intrigues me. So I drove it and found it to pretty much be 90% as awesome as a C6 GS to me (mostly because it's older and can be driven ZFG), and less than half the price. My wife even really liked the car, so no brainer. I got him down to $17.5k, which is on the high side for what I wanted to spend, but the car's in awesome shape, and it's got the colors and features that I want. It also seems like the C5 market has firmed up significantly, and that $17.5 is the best deal I could find on an 02+ car.

I'm going to turn it into a Corvette All-star AKA Baller on a Budget (BOAB) C5 with C6 Z06 shocks, C5Z sway bars, C5Z front spring, C5Z exhaust, and maybe a set of long tubes 4 teh lolz. For less than $20k, I can have a Porsche eater.

Got caught up

Yeah I remember that car....not bad

I really was pulling for you to get a C6 GS though, but I get it though.....the C5 is less than 1/2 the price

What's the (rated) power difference between the two anyways?

So is it a done deal today??

I know you mentioned Z06 wheels for the C5....but why not find some C6 GS wheels for it instead? (they look better IMO)

TOTAL side note.....saw what I thought were Camaro tail lights speeding thru the Pontiac Trail round about on M5 today and sped up to catch it.....it was a C7...weird. :rolleyes:
Guy obviously didn't know how to drive it or something

PetrolHead

When's the next track day
Car(s)
MKVI GTI
Got caught up

Yeah I remember that car....not bad

I really was pulling for you to get a C6 GS though, but I get it though.....the C5 is less than 1/2 the price

Yea, I was really into the GS too, until I drove the C5. It's really a ton of fun, and the GS is nowhere near double the fun. So...I'll save my money and build a C5 all-star.

What's the (rated) power difference between the two anyways?
C5 (LS1)= 350hp, C6 GS (LS3)= 430hp

It's a pretty big difference, but the C5 weighs less, and it doesn't take much to uncork the LS1 in the C5.

So is it a done deal today??

Probably tomorrow. I'm still waiting for a bank transfer to complete. It's amazing how long electronic transfers take between banks. Plus, I need to get cash, and to avoid the IRS getting involved, I need to pull less than $10k/day, so it's going to be a few days.

I know you mentioned Z06 wheels for the C5....but why not find some C6 GS wheels for it instead? (they look better IMO)

I think they might be too big, but we'll see. I really like the 17/18 combo on the C5. For me, money is better spent on suspension and power improvements.

TOTAL side note.....saw what I thought were Camaro tail lights speeding thru the Pontiac Trail round about on M5 today and sped up to catch it.....it was a C7...weird. :rolleyes:
Guy obviously didn't know how to drive it or something

Oh, nice. Strange the dude could drive, doe.

PetrolHead

Car(s)
MKVI GTI
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FFXXXTC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I just bought this, hopefully it's fine. Seems pretty straight forward. I'm not really going to be home for more than 12-16 hours or so until 10/29 (fuck) so it'll be a bit. Tomorrow morning I'll do the rinseless wash and put the cover back on after I get the re-fixed headlight motor installed.

Oh, nice.

I ordered this one:

http://www.complianceparts.com/lmc5description.html

Wife wants to take the car up north this weekend, and if the wheel locks on us, I'm toast. I need to solve this preemptively before disaster ensues.

Merkle

Banned
Monday morning and I see things have progressed well over the weekend.

I'm taking a page from your book Chris, I've started ordering Dodge stuff.

PetrolHead

Car(s)
MKVI GTI
Only order things you know you'll need. In my case, I know the wheel locks without the key in, so the CLB needs to be done ASAP. I'll buy the car once my stupid money gets transferred, so I'm just waiting on the bank.

I usually don't order things before having the car, but I want to do the CLB ASAP because it would be my luck that we're off wine tasting, she's giving the iwanttoblowyou eyes, and the stupid wheel locks and the day goes 180. Then all I get to hear is how stupid I am for buying that car, what an idiot I am, etc while wrestling with the stupid wheel. I'd probably end up rolling the car with locked wheels into Lake Michigan.

I want to save the car. The CLB is critical.

Merkle

Banned
Only order things you know you'll need. In my case, I know the wheel locks without the key in, so the CLB needs to be done ASAP. I'll buy the car once my stupid money gets transferred, so I'm just waiting on the bank.

I usually don't order things before having the car, but I want to do the CLB ASAP because it would be my luck that we're off wine tasting, she's giving the iwanttoblowyou eyes, and the stupid wheel locks and the day goes 180. Then all I get to hear is how stupid I am for buying that car, what an idiot I am, etc while wrestling with the stupid wheel. I'd probably end up rolling the car with locked wheels into Lake Michigan.

I want to save the car. The CLB is critical.

Uh..

I just bought a cell phone mount, and a center cap for one of the wheels...

You sure do have an active imagination. :bellyroll:

PetrolHead

Car(s)
MKVI GTI
Uh..

Oh....

You sure do have an active imagination. :bellyroll:

I know how quickly dumb stuff can escalate.

golftdibrad

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'10 GTI, miata, vers
Uh..

since you'll use goolge maps, i'm sure you'll get home now. just follow all signs south and hook a right on I-10 if you get lost :D