GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Why do I keep hearing 252 hp?

Wantagti

insufficient funds
Car(s)
Chevy Suburban Z71
I can only think they are claiming flywheel hp. I've not see a legit dyno sheet showing 252 whp from only an APR chip. Would some of you who have chips post a dyno graph? Alf, I've seen yours, which was about 213 whp. Thanks to anyone who contributes. BTW, on any other forum related to performance cars, anyone who posts flywheel hp got flamed to no end, which included me at one time.

alf

Modwhoreator
Car(s)
2006 TR GTI
yea ive never quite understood why they did that (flywheel HP). mine was on REVO flash though w/ a conservative tune on that one. since that dyno ive gotten an oil change and new tune, so im looking at about MAYBE 220-230WHP. a friend and i ran and did a before and after comparison. before new tune it was half a car i won by. and new tune i won by 3-4 cars :)

alf

redGTI

Axis Motoring
Car(s)
02 & 08 GTI, 08 M3
APR always advertises flywheel horse power..Probably because it will be a higher number and looks better for sales...

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
Wantagti said:
BTW, on any other forum related to performance cars, anyone who posts flywheel hp got flamed to no end, which included me at one time.
Well since APR doesn't give you the dyno numbers from the wheel, these are the only ones people have to post. So until I dyno my own car (which I may never do) these are all I have to go by. Blame the dealer for that one.:iono:

Wantagti

insufficient funds
Car(s)
Chevy Suburban Z71
It's just kind of bogus in a world of customers who go by wheel horsepower. Kind of like saying "We've run a recorded 13.55 quarter mile time" ....... with our Gtech. At least I know now. That would be approximately a 25 flywheel hp gain then. I figure they make 225 flywheel stock estimating mine losing 13% for driveline loss.

damo

Oval Newbie
scuderiavw said:
it is very understandable not to post flywheel numbers because that number changes due to a lot of variables and they can be hold liable for these reasons.
Dont you mean dyno numbers have a lot of variables eg. ramp angle, load, what type of dyno, what gear your in ? your run is should be done in 4th as in closest to 1:1 ratio. 3rd will give 10hp increase.:iono:

Where flywheel hp is exactly that, bolted to the flywheel no gearboxes, tyres, dyno's in between filtering out hp.

damo

Oval Newbie
scuderiavw said:
how about temperature, humidity, altitude.....
Dont they apply to dyno's as well ? Someone in say Denver v another in Seattle, the Seattle car will kill the other for numbers.:rolleyes: Manufactures use flywheel hp. Your not going to take your engine out of your car and give it to someone with an engine dyno, are you ?
All manufactures bench test their engines in "controlled conditions" before the putting them in their cars.:thumbsup:

DBCPerformance

OEM & AFTERMARKET PARTS
Car(s)
An Imaginary GT2
damo said:
Dont they apply to dyno's as well ? Someone in say Denver v another in Seattle, the Seattle car will kill the other for numbers.:rolleyes: Manufactures use flywheel hp. Your not going to take your engine out of your car and give it to someone with an engine dyno, are you ?
All manufactures bench test their engines in "controlled conditions" before the putting them in their cars.:thumbsup:

you really dont make sense, what is your point here? The same mentality why do all auto manufacturers apply cranck hp instead of whp? so everyone is wrong you are right

damo

Oval Newbie
scuderiavw said:
you really dont make sense, what is your point here? The same mentality why do all auto manufacturers apply cranck hp instead of whp? so everyone is wrong you are right
No you were saying that dyno readings have less variables than flywheel hp, Im saying thats bullshit there are a lot more variables with a car on a dyno, than manufactures who bench test engines. Just have a look at all the different numbers form the boys with their standard dyno sheets there is a gap of 30hp thats real accurate isn't it.

APR is quoting 188kw which is 252hp. This is where the numbers are coming from.

Last edited:

bigdyno

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
As a Dyno owner, I can tell you there are plenty of factors to consider when looking at dyno charts. Some of these include temperature, humidity, tire inflation, engine temp,ammount of tension on tie downs, forced cooling/intake air (or lack of), oil level, operator....I could go on for days.

Also, the numbers are to be taken as a guideline, not gospel. You can get varying numbers from two of the exact same dyno on the exact same day, side by side. The drums they use may be marginally different weights, although they do try to accommodate for this, the bearings on the dyno may be in different condition, again I could go on.

Lastly, the software it's self has several tweeks or settings that can be modified to produce padded numbers. Elevation settings are one example.

If you use the same dyno with the same opperator in as similar weather as possible, you can use this as reliable tuning data if you look at the change as opposed to the highest numbers. If you go from 260 to 265 hp, big deal. But if you make a 17% change, that is the kind of number I would pay attention to.

Wantagti

insufficient funds
Car(s)
Chevy Suburban Z71
OBTW- I'm a believer in 4th gear pulls, however, the dyno pro I went to said after doing a 3rd and 4th gear pull, he said it took twice as long and was much more strain to pull 4th. As long as we all run 3rd gear runs, we'll all be able to compare numbers just fine. It should only be used as a tool for ya anyway. I think APR just markets their product a little on the far side, which would definitely snag those who aren't in the know.