GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

whats happening....

mjh

vtech yo
Well it is hard on your engine for one. There is a reason you are supposed to wait for the car to come to operating temperature before going into the higher RPMs. You wouldn't stick your dick into a women's asshole without some foreplay and lube, so why do it to your engine? The jerking of your car is it saying "please stop going in dry". Also you probably look like a fucking tool sitting in a parking lot revving your car.

probably the best thing I have ever read.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
You only need to "warm up" an engine until the oil is circulating, which takes seconds. What are you guys doing, listening to grandpa's about how to drive? I start my car, put on my seat belt. That's enough time. The oil is pumping at 40 PSI, about the same as the pressure in a water hose in the U.S. It gets to the top end in seconds. Ever start your car with the valve cover off? How long before you have oil all over the engine?

Car(s)
Subaru
You only need to "warm up" an engine until the oil is circulating, which takes seconds. What are you guys doing, listening to grandpa's about how to drive? I start my car, put on my seat belt. That's enough time. The oil is pumping at 40 PSI, about the same as the pressure in a water hose in the U.S. It gets to the top end in seconds. Ever start your car with the valve cover off? How long before you have oil all over the engine?

Wow, just wow.

Listening to grandpas... No one is listening to you man cause what you said is wrong.

You're right it takes a second for the oil to circulate but engine wear occurs faster at lower temps. Also, oil is thicker when it's colder.

Sent from my iPhone

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Wow, just wow.

Listening to grandpas... No one is listening to you man cause what you said is wrong.

You're right it takes a second for the oil to circulate but engine wear occurs faster at lower temps. Also, oil is thicker when it's colder.

Sent from my iPhone

Wow, you really should research before you post. I think you'll find that no one ever takes anything you post seriously because you have no credibility. All you do is offer sarcasm and frankly uniformed ideas. Start with how multi-weight oil performs when cold and when hot. And here's some more info for you - most wear occurs only at the instant of starting. I designed and worked on systems you never heard of that are still in use today. I'm the last one to be pedantic but I do have a bit of higher education and hands-ons experience. I would love to go into detail but I would still need to be working and you would need to be assigned to my team.

Car(s)
Subaru
Wow, you really should research before you post. I think you'll find that no one ever takes anything you post seriously because you have no credibility. All you do is offer sarcasm and frankly uniformed ideas. Start with how multi-weight oil performs when cold and when hot. And here's some more info for you - most wear occurs only at the instant of starting. I designed and worked on systems you never heard of that are still in use today. I'm the last one to be pedantic but I do have a bit of higher education and hands-ons experience. I would love to go into detail but I would still need to be working and you would need to be assigned to my team.

yes, different weights, but vw recommends i think 5w30... not a 0w

also, lookup what temps show the least where on engines. i had to do research on that a long time ago and it was something like 220f. i had to do the research like 8yrs ago, so it might be off a few degrees, but you get the idea... way over a cold start.

hairyblackrabbit

Powerful like a gorilla

yes, different weights, but vw recommends i think 5w30... not a 0w

also, lookup what temps show the least where on engines. i had to do research on that a long time ago and it was something like 220f. i had to do the research like 8yrs ago, so it might be off a few degrees, but you get the idea... way over a cold start.

Now, i've always been told not to be hard on a car while warming up not because of lubrication, but because of thermal expansion factors.

Especially in engines with varying materials, i.e. iron block with aluminum heads.

dustinwark

Miesian
Car(s)
'07 VW GTI

Well wouldn't listening to you be the same as listening to a grandpa? Fed, tell me you don't think it is stupid to walk out to your car parked in the middle of public, get in, cold start, rev the engine for a while, then turn it off and leave?

-SnowMan-

Ready to race!
Well wouldn't listening to you be the same as listening to a grandpa? Fed, tell me you don't think it is stupid to walk out to your car parked in the middle of public, get in, cold start, rev the engine for a while, then turn it off and leave?

You misunderstood what he was saying. He is saying you do not need to warm it up before driving off. Never said you could redline it immediately. Your car warms up faster and better if the engine has a load on it. Get the car to proper operating temp by driving it under 3k rpm.

He isnt saying that cold starting and revving high is not bad.

Tutti57

Ready to race!
I bought a book years ago that says that cylinder wear occurs 200% more while the engine is cold due to the enriched open loop operation washing down cylinders with extra fuel.

Please don't ask me what the book is called...

Not sure if that is the case on more modern engines though.

freshpots

r'zub n t'zug
Car(s)
'22 GTI, '19 GT350R

dustinwark

Miesian
Car(s)
'07 VW GTI
You misunderstood what he was saying. He is saying you do not need to warm it up before driving off. Never said you could redline it immediately. Your car warms up faster and better if the engine has a load on it. Get the car to proper operating temp by driving it under 3k rpm.

He isnt saying that cold starting and revving high is not bad.

He never says "you don't need to warm the car up before driving off" and this thread is about revving the car cold, so I am pretty sure that is what he is talking about.