GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What is RSMark5 working on now!?

BoardSnow6

Banned
Car(s)
Capita Scaremaster
We actually are getting the next gen thema, but its based on the chrysler lx platform. Either were getting them, or i saw a truckload taking them to port. So much better looking than a 300.

Senor Blanco

+10,000 or so
man that saab is a blast to drive, i think it could take a gti EASY.... and its its daddy's age lol

RSMark5

Go Kart Champion
man that saab is a blast to drive, i think it could take a gti EASY.... and its its daddy's age lol

Thank you sir! It will indeed. I've taken a stage 1 mk6 with it. Its damn close to my passat too. Glad I let some one else on here drive it though. Haha wish you could have been down here longer buddy. :w00t:

RSMark5

Go Kart Champion

I'm back to work on it. Had to replace the slave cylinder so the car had been down a few months. Having it back has motivated me to get back to work on it and maybe buy another one. I'm thinking about joining the big turbo club with this one though.

RSMark5

Go Kart Champion
Bringing it back again!!!

So the saab was getting some much needed attention after nearly a year of abuse from me and my friends. I'd fallen back in love with the car so it was time to fix everything.

First things first, I needed to fix the leaky gas tank. No pics of it, but just imagine 2 over tightened fuel tank straps with no rubber insulator chaffing a split into a plastic gas tank.

So we messed up taking the check valve out of the fuel pump so new check valve, fuel filter and washers.

Then brakes on all 4 corners. Wanted something better like some hawk HPS's or something, but its not available. So I got the best OEM replacements I could find that are ceramic not steel or that organic crap. Got new OEM replacement rotors. Cross drilled and slotted were much cheaper, but screw that. This car gets tortured.

Replaced the airfilter with a K&N Oiled unit. Staying with the OEM air box for now, but wanted to get some better flow so we swiss cheesed the OEM air box.

Pretty cool, because the air box is in the drivers side fender behind the fender liner in that sealed box. That tube directs over the lower grill so its constantly sucking in cold air. OEM CAI...got to love it.

Overnight parts from Japan

Again no real pics of it, but the HVAC system hasn't worked since I got the car. It didn't blow anything, no heat, no defrost, no a/c nothing. So we got a new blower motor and resistor and sure enough that fixed the problem. But the second we turned on the a/c for the first time it blew alllllll kinda crap out of the a/c vents. So new Cabin filter pictured above. Pretty cool that a car from 93 has a cabin filter IMO.

So, was tooling around craigslist looking for some used wheels and tires, and I stumbled on a new gem.

97 9000 CSE turbo. Had 209,000 miles. He was asking out of my price range, but I went to look at it anyway. On the test drive me and my buddy Spears noticed that it wasn't making any boost. None. The boost gauge was stuck at half. We expressed our concerns to the owner of the car, with the rust, the 'dead' turbo etc... and walked away with with the car.

We had the car home maybe 2 hours when we finally got a chance to look and work on it. Turns out the problem with making no boost was the wastegate accuator was disconnected from the wastegate. Clipped it back on and TADAAAAA, full boost. Cleaned it up today to over the rest of whats wrong with it and figured I'd share the pics.

So, as you can see its a tad bit rusty. The PO let his wife use it as her daily beater back and forth to work. The car came from NJ and hadn't been washed in many moons so its no surprise.

Some rot around the windshield just kills the car for me. I was considering pulling the windshield out since its cracked and doing a patch panel.

This one is pretty cool because it has the rear foglight. The 93 Aero doesn't. The tail light designs are slightly different.

Its got a pretty nice interior though. The dash is uncracked and CSE's got the woodgrain option. Plus, this one has cupholders.

Back seats typically look brand new.

These things have huge trunks. Makes the GTI looks small.

Soooo yeah. I'm undecided what to do now. The red 93 Aero is the best. Its so much cooler than the CSE. Its almost like comparing a 328i to a M3. Its a totally different animal. I've ordered some go fast goodies for one of the cars. The 93 Aero has a TD04HL-15T from mitsubishi. Its really similar to a T28 from nissan, infact T28's are totally interchangeable sans the oil/coolant lines. The 97 CSE has a T25 which is exactly that, just a T25. Saab made the autotragics all have the T25, and put a torque limiters in 1st and 2nd gear to keep you from trashing the gearbox. I've gone ahead and ordered a T3/T4 .57 trim and T3 manifold, as well as red top 35lb 350cc injectors and a walboro 255LPH. One of these cars will be shooting for 350hp. But until then, the CSE sleeps.

Senor Blanco

+10,000 or so
muy bueno, i cant wait to get down there and tear into some saab!