GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What does 'Sport Mode' do exactly?

8kGoodEnuff

Ready to race!
It could just be me but if I ever get dynoed, I will select the different modes to see if there is actually any difference.

rip steakface

Go Kart Newbie
I haven't noticed more power in Sport Mode than Normal Mode - if you push your foot flat to the floor the response is the same. If you nudge it about 1/3 of the way, Sport Mode is quicker because of the faster response.

this. the throttle (mapping?) is ramped up in sport.

when in manual, i like the more linear throttle when in normal, it's easier to modulate. sport seems too on/off for me. you may have to move the pedal more in normal, but you get out what you put down (so to speak...), and i like knowing that i'm getting what i ask for rather than 100% throttle at 50% pedal input or whatever sport adjusts it to.

plac

GTI Master
i can't get it set just right. i like when the stick is moved to S mode.. but i wish i could custom tailor it. the electronic stuff is not the same even if i adjust it.

the S mode revs a bit higher than i like, but that's not the worst part. the 100% soundaktor is the issue. I dont think my "custom" electronic settings moving the sound to "eco" changes this, need to test a bit more. also dont think i have the same throttle response in any of the electronic modes, as i do when i move the stick to S. all my electronic modes are sport for the engine.. but the throttle feels way sharper when i move the stick..

I think S mode in the stick does different things than the electronic sport mode. otherwise, why would you need a sport button, as well as a sport stick?

DP03

Ready to race!
i can't get it set just right. i like when the stick is moved to S mode.. but i wish i could custom tailor it. the electronic stuff is not the same even if i adjust it.

the S mode revs a bit higher than i like, but that's not the worst part. the 100% soundaktor is the issue. I dont think my "custom" electronic settings moving the sound to "eco" changes this, need to test a bit more. also dont think i have the same throttle response in any of the electronic modes, as i do when i move the stick to S. all my electronic modes are sport for the engine.. but the throttle feels way sharper when i move the stick..

I think S mode in the stick does different things than the electronic sport mode. otherwise, why would you need a sport button, as well as a sport stick?

So you can have a combination of both. You can have the car in sport mode, but pull down on the shifter so the trans is in normal. This way your steering and suspension stay in sport, but the DSG shifts in normal mode. I use this combo when commuting when the higher revs don't matter and I'm looking for mpg....

plac

GTI Master
After ignition off, and back on, what custom settings does it retain without touching any buttons?
(when running "custom" with everything on except fake engine noise.)

I disagree with the way most people think it works, and I will vagcom and log it later to prove it. You do not only lose the transmission shift points if you start the car in your custom mode. You also lose the throttle. I confirmed this 100% butt dyno tonight, where i couldn't spin 1st or 2nd in manual mode when i first cruised the car. then i pressed the mode, and then custom button. right after that, i was still in manual shifting mode. I could spin 1st and 2nd very easily. With those findings, i don't beleive any of the other custom settings are active either, but i know the throttle and trans isnt.. i plan to log the throttle position to prove this at a later time.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
After ignition off, and back on, what custom settings does it retain without touching any buttons?
(when running "custom" with everything on except fake engine noise.)

I disagree with the way most people think it works, and I will vagcom and log it later to prove it. You do not only lose the transmission shift points if you start the car in your custom mode. You also lose the throttle. I confirmed this 100% butt dyno tonight, where i couldn't spin 1st or 2nd in manual mode when i first cruised the car. then i pressed the mode, and then custom button. right after that, i was still in manual shifting mode. I could spin 1st and 2nd very easily. With those findings, i don't beleive any of the other custom settings are active either, but i know the throttle and trans isnt.. i plan to log the throttle position to prove this at a later time.

Shifting the DSG to S (or manual control obviously) is the only thing that will affect shift points. The driver profile button and settings do not affect the transmission. Changing the trans to manual or sport mode also changes the throttle mapping even more then having the driver profile set to sport or in custom settings. Custom settings stay enabled throughout turning off the car. The only thing that doesn't is the DSG mode. When you move it to D after starting up, it stays in D. You have to put it into manual or S mode for the shift points and extra throttle provided by those modes.

Last edited:

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I don't see where setting the Mode to Sport does anything. Using the DSG Sport setting raises the idle. That's why you feel like it has more power from a start. At least that what I perceive. Hitting the ESC does even more because it shuts off the traction control.

Mkviis

Car(s)
Mk7.5 GTI
I got curious, so I started poking around the forums to see if this has been posted already and I have not been able to find anything.

These are the changes that I know 'Sport Mode' does to the car:

• Throttle response is instantaneous vs. gradual.
  • The differential (PP) becomes more responsive and aggressive in terms of sending power.
  • The sound of the car becomes more audible.

Does the engine itself have any changes? To me, my butt dyno definitely tells me that there is more power on tap when I'm accelerating from a dig or from a roll. And it's not just the throttle response. The pull feels noticeably harder in comparison to 'Normal Mode'. 'Normal Mode' is so mild in comparison that I sometimes think that there is something wrong with the car.

Can anyone clarify what else happens to this car in 'Sport Mode'?

Thank You.
It become more responsive and I tried racing a 500hp SUV with my stock 7.5 gti, first time I was on normal mode and he took off instantly. Second pull I was in sport mode, I took off for couple of seconds then he came past me flying. So to conclude, throttle response is way faster on sport mode and you feel the g force on it is crazy.