GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What does 'Sport Mode' do exactly?

8kGoodEnuff

Ready to race!
I got curious, so I started poking around the forums to see if this has been posted already and I have not been able to find anything.

These are the changes that I know 'Sport Mode' does to the car:

• Throttle response is instantaneous vs. gradual.
  • The differential (PP) becomes more responsive and aggressive in terms of sending power.
  • The sound of the car becomes more audible.

Does the engine itself have any changes? To me, my butt dyno definitely tells me that there is more power on tap when I'm accelerating from a dig or from a roll. And it's not just the throttle response. The pull feels noticeably harder in comparison to 'Normal Mode'. 'Normal Mode' is so mild in comparison that I sometimes think that there is something wrong with the car.

Can anyone clarify what else happens to this car in 'Sport Mode'?

Thank You.

Zoolook

Ready to race!
I haven't noticed more power in Sport Mode than Normal Mode - if you push your foot flat to the floor the response is the same. If you nudge it about 1/3 of the way, Sport Mode is quicker because of the faster response.

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
  • The sound of the car becomes more audible.

Only because a crap speaker is turned up, sounds even better when the thing is unplugged permanently.

codespyder

Ready to race!
I haven't noticed more power in Sport Mode than Normal Mode - if you push your foot flat to the floor the response is the same. If you nudge it about 1/3 of the way, Sport Mode is quicker because of the faster response.

I used to leave my engine in Normal mode. It bothered me so much whenever I would overtake. I would press my foot and there is a split second hesitation where the engine seemingly asks "Are you sure? Well, if you're sure... here's the power you've asked for- wait, you're sure right?".

Sport mode reduces the hesitation completely. Power delivery is more rapid. I have it on permanently.

For DSG gearboxes, the Sport engine mode also defaults the gearbox to S, which means the transmission shifts at the redline when you bury your foot. Setting it back to D mode makes the transmission shift at a lower RPM. However, D + Sport mode doesn't bring back the hesitation in throttle response in normal mode.

Also, the cornering lights come on earlier in Sport mode for LP cars.

pipsyp

Ready to race!
Primarily.....

Sharper throttle response - 100 % throttle at 50% load or thereabouts.

Firmer steering.

If you have bi xenons the adaptive (not static) cornering function is more sensitive to steering input.

If you have ACC it will accelerate more aggressively to get you back up to set speed if no objects are sensed in front.

If you have DCC the dampers adopt their firmest setting.

Also if you have a soundaktor as all Performance Golfs do you'll get 100% of the artificial engine noise enhancement.

Sport v normal throttle - the reality is full power is available in both modes....in normal on my GTD its a bit more laggy low down and seems to run out of puff a little sooner at higher revs but feels more punchy where the torque swell is between 1750 and 3250 rpms. Sport is more immediate and seems to be keener to rev out but is more linear with less sense of the torque swell in normal.

I like the soundaktor noise on the GTD (makes it sound purposeful rather than like any othet 4 cyl TDI) and enjoy the sport throttle setting and steering weight the most so tend to leave it in sport for the most part.

If I am not on my own or am undertaking a more lengthy motorway journey I tend to use Individual mode....everything on Sport bar normal throttle, Eco engine sound and AC profile...I sometimes set the throttle to sport too as it can be nice to have the sharper throttle without the noise at times....but wierdly without the sound it does feel as though something is missing.

I guess for someone who really hates the soundaktor its a good thing to set individual up just as sport but without the noise; I just bang mine in sport and enjoy the noise.

8kGoodEnuff

Ready to race!
Forgot about the steering and lighting for PP.

I honestly do feel there is more power, but of course it could be perception. In normal, it surely doesn't feel like it's putting down 270 wtq but in Sport, it feels like it does.

I definitely do like the quick throttle response. It is quite an improvement over Normal.

jayk12

Ready to race!
I personally like the normal steering so I use individual mode with the sport settings for engine and transmission. Putting the DSG in sport makes a world of difference and holds the gears according to how you want to drive. The sport settings obviously get the full potential out of the car.

My question is, how are these settings affected when the engine is flashed by APR, etc?

djlace91

I have APR Stage 1. After the flash I noticed that in Normal Mode my steering felt as if it were in Sport mode. And in Sport mode the steering is even heavier. Of course with the tune you get improved throttle response and no more rev limiter. It also does some things to torque management as well. So the car is completely different and feels different too. In Sport mode the car becomes even more alive but all of the features of sport mode, as listed above, stay the same.

jayk12

Ready to race!
I have APR Stage 1. After the flash I noticed that in Normal Mode my steering felt as if it were in Sport mode. And in Sport mode the steering is even heavier. Of course with the tune you get improved throttle response and no more rev limiter. It also does some things to torque management as well. So the car is completely different and feels different too. In Sport mode the car becomes even more alive but all of the features of sport mode, as listed above, stay the same.

Thanks for the info. I'm planning to get the APR Stage 1 in the next year.

djlace91

Thanks for the info. I'm planning to get the APR Stage 1 in the next year.

I just got it 3 weeks ago. You're going to love it! Only downside is I find myself speeding all the time and I'm not even trying...of course always with a smile on my face. I love this car lol.

Zoolook

Ready to race!
I used to leave my engine in Normal mode. It bothered me so much whenever I would overtake. I would press my foot and there is a split second hesitation where the engine seemingly asks "Are you sure? Well, if you're sure... here's the power you've asked for- wait, you're sure right?".

Doesn't that only effect the DSG? It's more a hesitation in downshifting than engine response. In the manual, in the same gear, the response to flooring it seems identical, although I haven't tested it extensively.

I like sports mode, apart from it makes the engine sound like a truck at low RPM.