GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you get in the mail or bring home for your MKVII today?

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Alright, not a fan, at least for my car. Good experiment for $18, but would have been pissed if I paid $40 for the bottle. Not sure if it's just the product, if it didn't like working well with the vinyl, or if maybe there was still residue from previous finishes on it, but it would buff off for me. Just kind of left a gritty plasticy feeling on the section I tried it on.

If anybody wants the bottle and will be at Stafford Speedway tomorrow, they can have it for free lol.
If there’s still a sale. Try the hydro slick spray. Doesn’t last as long as seal and shine but it’s solid

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
If there’s still a sale. Try the hydro slick spray. Doesn’t last as long as seal and shine but it’s solid

Ehh, I'll stick with what I know.

Cleaned that off the hood and used the rest of the bottle of CG Butter Wet Wax on the car. It's carnauba based, never had a problem with it 😃

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny

Cleaned that off the hood and used the rest of the bottle of CG Butter Wet Wax on the car. It's carnauba based, never had a problem with it 😃
Yeah, of the ceramic products need and a clean surface to work with also, if it’s got a wax coating on it already I can see it playing very bad with it.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5

Nice. I’ve used it. It’s a hybrid synthetic carnauba product. All the shine and actually lasts longer than a month

many pics?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Nice. I’ve used it. It’s a hybrid synthetic carnauba product. All the shine and actually lasts longer than a month

many pics?

I'll get some tomorrow. Was busy today, so I waxed it in my garage. Going to the broke.East meet tomorrow with a buddy who has an MK7 as well, I'm sure I'll get plenty of pics then.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Yeah, of the ceramic products need and a clean surface to work with also, if it’s got a wax coating on it already I can see it playing very bad with it.

Yeah, I had just washed the car, but not with one of those specific cleaners meant to strip any prior products. So that's a real possibility.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
You guys know a way to strip wax off of ceramic coating without fucking up the ceramic?

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
U don't want to mess up the coating but want to remove it?

Alltrack was ceramic coated when we bought it. My dumb ass washed a few times with car wash shit that had wax in it twice before I realized the error of my ways. Much of the hydrophobic property is lacking. I’m wondering if there is a way to strip the waxes and shit from the car wash soaps and regain the properties of the ceramic under it all.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Alltrack was ceramic coated when we bought it. My dumb ass washed a few times with car wash shit that had wax in it twice before I realized the error of my ways. Much of the hydrophobic property is lacking. I’m wondering if there is a way to strip the waxes and shit from the car wash soaps and regain the properties of the ceramic under it all.
Oooh ok.

so the waxes from car wash soap can be defeated easily in about a week. Just leave the car out in the sun.

from there, presoak with an alkaline based soap with heavy surfactants. Car pro lift works well. Rinse it off. Presoak again but give it a contact wash. You should be good to go to build layers on the coating now.

any idea what coating and how long ago it was applied?

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
Oooh ok.

so the waxes from car wash soap can be defeated easily in about a week. Just leave the car out in the sun.

from there, presoak with an alkaline based soap with heavy surfactants. Car pro lift works well. Rinse it off. Presoak again but give it a contact wash. You should be good to go to build layers on the coating now.

any idea what coating and how long ago it was applied?

Don’t know the coating, maybe 18-20mo old, foam gun+contact wash only.... used waxing shampoo, dried with microfiber. Have since corrected ways wish the shampoo. Now burning through a gallon of Adam’s pH neutral shampoo. Shouldn’t be hard to get down to the coating.

Thanks for the tip on the high pH, I’ll give it a go. Any products our there that “boost” the ceramic, or just leave it alone?

now to figure out this miracle of wet waxing for the GTI...

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Don’t know the coating, maybe 18-20mo old, foam gun+contact wash only.... used waxing shampoo, dried with microfiber. Have since corrected ways wish the shampoo. Now burning through a gallon of Adam’s pH neutral shampoo. Shouldn’t be hard to get down to the coating.

Thanks for the tip on the high pH, I’ll give it a go.

Wet wax? Turtle wax graphene flex wax. On its own it barely lasts two months, it’s shit. But as a wet wax it’s solid as hell

I use it as a rinse aid. Once I’m done with the car. I spray this all over it. Then Rinse again. Then dry with the leaf blower

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5

Thanks for the tip on the high pH, I’ll give it a go. Any products our there that “boost” the ceramic, or just leave it alone?

Also. Due to the age of the coating. It could be dead in a few spots. So after using car pro lift and rinsing after the contact wash. If it’s not rejecting water on some spots. Go back to using car soap with wax in it. For the sake of giving the car some protection

eventually after a few months. The whole coating will die and u can install a new coating after some paint prep

or if u want to get rid of it faster I can explain how to induce poly cracking and chemically remove the coating. Safe for paint and clear too.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
Also. Due to the age of the coating. It could be dead in a few spots. So after using car pro lift and rinsing after the contact wash. If it’s not rejecting water on some spots. Go back to using car soap with wax in it. For the sake of giving the car some protection

eventually after a few months. The whole coating will die and u can install a new coating after some paint prep

or if u want to get rid of it faster I can explain how to induce poly cracking and chemically remove the coating. Safe for paint and clear too.

I’m lazy and have arthritis in both shoulders.. waxing and paint prep are out of the question anymore. Might just get them paint corrected and a good wax/polish done professionally.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I’m lazy and have arthritis in both shoulders.. waxing and paint prep are out of the question anymore. Might just get them paint corrected and a good wax/polish done professionally.
If the coating has failed. It’s cheaper if u remove it instead of some asshole wet sanding the car. At the very least do that yourself. No shoulders needed. Just big ass beach towels. And a few spray on stuff

hopefully that isn’t the case and your coating is still strong.