GOLFMKV

what did you do to your mkv today?

dmsquattro

Ready to race!
Just got her back from a carbon cleaning. Before and after... photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

dmsquattro

Ready to race!
Just about 64K miles and no catch can. Got her with 41K miles back in 2010. 2 of the 4 cylinders were pretty bad - the other 2 were OK, but not great. Car has much smoother start-up and idle. Can't tell yet if there has been an improvement in MPG, but it was not great before (~22 mixed driving).

dmsquattro

Ready to race!
Brought it to Eurotech Motorsports in Mahwah, NJ. Those guys are awesome - they know their shit, tell it like it is and most importantly, do right by you.

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
Oh sorry, didn't realize you have been doing this so long, no worries sorry I said anything.....

:lol:

Anywho today I removed my rear brake brackets in preparation to have them duplicated.

What are you running for your parking brake caliper?

My mechanic just called his source for parts and they say Viper calipers are like unicorns. The local Dodge dealer wants $900 for a set of new ones.

The original threads for the kit say we can use Jaguar calipers but it doesn't say anything about the model or year. Do you know anything about that?

Clipse

4 Doors Fit More Whores!
Car(s)
09 VW GLI
how many miles/do you have a catch can?

how's it feel?

DIY or took it in to a garage. If DIY how many hours did it take you?

Just about 64K miles and no catch can. Got her with 41K miles back in 2010. 2 of the 4 cylinders were pretty bad - the other 2 were OK, but not great. Car has much smoother start-up and idle. Can't tell yet if there has been an improvement in MPG, but it was not great before (~22 mixed driving).

Not sure if you guys care for my input, but I'll add it just in case... as dmsquattro stated, the car is much smoother after the cleaning. Here is my experience based on having done the cleaning myself. If you do plan on doing it, start EARLY in the AM, not late in the evening as I did. IIRC I started around 6PM and didn't have the car back together and running until around 2AM.

Taking the car apart was the easy thing. Cleaning as well as replacing the seals on the injectors, well that is where the REAL time is spent. A lot of care has to be taken not to have crap fall into the motor or the injector openings. I'm sure upon doing it more and more, the time can be cut down, however I PERSONALLY would rather take my time to do a great job without running into problems like dropping things into the motor. Hope that can help you guys out with your questions.

What are you running for your parking brake caliper?

My mechanic just called his source for parts and they say Viper calipers are like unicorns. The local Dodge dealer wants $900 for a set of new ones.

The original threads for the kit say we can use Jaguar calipers but it doesn't say anything about the model or year. Do you know anything about that?

Sorry to say but whoever your mechanic is getting his parts from is no good at sourcing parts. They are more common then the Jag calipers due to the fact they are not just used on the Viper, they are also used on Ferrari's and lamborghini's, and brembo makes parking brake kits using them. As far as the Jag calipers, when he was still producing the brackets, he would ask which calipers you were going to use, because the Jag calipers used different brackets, as well as spaced out the caliper because the Jag uses a narrower rotor. Since I have the Viper parking brake calipers, those will be the calipers needed. You just gotta know where to look... Here is a decent deal on a pair...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LAMBORGHINI...M-2-/261405084221?hash=item3cdcf50a3d&vxp=mtr

flat tire

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Electric + 135i
Is this separate e-brake caliper mod just for looks, or does it give more powerful grab by the e-brake, like would be useful for stunt driving?

Clipse

4 Doors Fit More Whores!
Car(s)
09 VW GLI
Is this separate e-brake caliper mod just for looks, or does it give more powerful grab by the e-brake, like would be useful for stunt driving?

ive seen a couple jettas with that. i think its kinda cool looking but think its kinda dumb functionally speaking

It's seperate because the BBK calipers don't have an integrated parking brake.

had no idea. learned something

If you didn't have the extra caliper, you would have no ebrake on the car, unless you integrated a pressure holding system on the brakes while the car is parked. So functionally speaking, it IS functional. I believe stunt cars use a variety of different methods of using the ebrake however this separate caliper I doubt is one of them.