GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What a car enthusiast looks like to everyone else...

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
I thought the same thing, but you never know.

It's like when I talk to my wife about my car. Honey, I want to change the exhaust or add HID headlights. The look on her face is like if I had asked to change the drum motor on the washing machine. "It's just a car" she says. It's clearly not that to us, but to her, the washing machine washes clothes, the car takes her places. It's the same type of utility device.

I'll stop now, enough dumptrolling.

There's never enough dumptrolling. I will likely dumptroll for years to come.

Maybe the problem is I just can't accept how little people care about cars.

PetrolHead

When's the next track day
Car(s)
MKVI GTI
There's never enough dumptrolling. I will likely dumptroll for years to come.

Maybe the problem is I just can't accept how little people care about cars.

Touche, the art of dumptrolling is a great one that can be enjoyed for years and years. I'll continue then.

We get so ingrained in car enthusiasm that when people don't give a shit, it almost doesn't register in our brains. It took me reading this washer nonsense to realize how I sound to my wife and others that don't give a shit. It's almost like finding out Santa isn't real.

mk6monster

Go Kart Champion
That was so odd.. lolol i wonder if people that aren't into cars really see us like that to :lol:

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
See... I must just be in denial. Because to me, maybe 3% of the population cares enough about cars to want to modify, own more than one, drive a manual, anything like that. But in my mind at least 30% of people would acknowledge some cars are cool or at least understand why you'd enjoy a fun car. I guess the fact that people buy cars for style and stuff like that goes to show that they care at least a little bit.

Then again, I guess people buy those hige washer/dryer sets that are colors and look all fancy mostly for the image. Shit. I'm digging my own grave here.

mk6monster

Go Kart Champion
See... I must just be in denial. Because to me, maybe 3% of the population cares enough about cars to want to modify, own more than one, drive a manual, anything like that. But in my mind at least 30% of people would acknowledge some cars are cool or at least understand why you'd enjoy a fun car. I guess the fact that people buy cars for style and stuff like that goes to show that they care at least a little bit.

Then again, I guess people buy those hige washer/dryer sets that are colors and look all fancy mostly for the image. Shit. I'm digging my own grave here.

lolol idk i could give three shits what my washer/dryer look like as long as it washes and dries lol... that guy was upgrading parts in his washer :lol::lol::lol:

Halvie

WOOSA
Can't this pretty much be used with anyone that has a hobby or interest that goes beneth the surface?

Computers
Movies
Music
Sports

Like everything.

PetrolHead

Car(s)
MKVI GTI

It's in the general population's nature to buy things that are visually appealing. The same applies to cars. The sad truth is for 99% of people, that's the extent of their car "enthusiasm". Trying to justify selling my 4-door hatchback econobox for a 2-seat, tiny-trunked, V8 gas guzzler to my wife is like selling a highly efficient, excellent washer for an old high capacity top-loading washer that gets shit really fucking clean. There's just no way to get the idea past. Especially a Corvette, because she thinks it's a "mid life crisis" mobile.

Which brings up another point. Not only do people not give a shit about cars, but when they do form opinions, it's usually a misguided stereotype. Unless it's about how great the Camry is.

We're hosed. :lol:

PetrolHead

Car(s)
MKVI GTI
Can't this pretty much be used with anyone that has a hobby or interest that goes beneth the surface?

Computers
Movies
Music
Sports

Like everything.

Certainly. Thing is, anyone who's really into something doesn't always take the time to acknowledge that others aren't.

I don't give a fuck about sports. People at work look at me like a I have a fucking horn growing out of my forehead when the conversation turns to sports and I have nothing to add.

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
lolol idk i could give three shits what my washer/dryer look like as long as it washes and dries lol... that guy was upgrading parts in his washer :lol::lol::lol:

Me neither but yuppies who buy Audis and Bimmers for the appearance alone probably do factor the looks of their washer/dryer into the equation :laugh:

Computers
Movies
Music
Sports

Like everything.

True point. I always try not to judge people's hobbies because of this. So often I want to criticize things like that that I think are pointless/a waste.

Just the other day I criticized Do Work for paying $800 for an iPhone 5Same.

Halvie

WOOSA
Which brings up another point. Not only do people not give a shit about cars, but when they do form opinions, it's usually a misguided stereotype. Unless it's about how great the Camry is.

We're hosed. :lol:

Which is also basically just like many other hobbies that people care about.

Euro vs Japanese cars
Xbox vs PlayStation
Microsoft vs apple
Sports team 1 vs sports team 2

Edit

This is hard to keep up with on my phone

haleyann

Go Kart Champion
The comments on the picture... "Hellaflush stance, yo" hahaha

I acknowledge that I sound completely and utterly insane to other people when I talk about my car. It's cool though. My little sister picks up on things I say about cars and then uses key words to impress guys.

PetrolHead

Car(s)
MKVI GTI
T
I acknowledge that I sound completely and utterly insane to other people when I talk about my car. It's cool though. My little sister picks up on things I say about cars and then uses key words to impress guys.

My little sister does the exact same thing with me. :lol: