GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Weird problem with boost

04sedantyson

Got a 06 GTI apr stage 1. I have a weird issue that I can't figure out. Bought the car used so planned on doing all the things anyways.
After driving like 30 mins or so I loose power and I can't hear the turbo boosting anymore. I can plug a genaric code reader in and look for codes and no codes are present. If I hit clear codes I get all the power back for a while.
Things I've done from reading up:
Upgraded dv valve
Plugs and coil packs
Intake valve cleaning
HPFP
Fuel filter
New pcv valve components
Forge intake
New thermostat
Transmission fluid change

U don't know what else to look for. It also kinda stumbles a little during idle after its warmed up. Could it be setting some kinda soft code kicking it into some limp mode? When it does it, it pulls good not like it's missing or anything. Just like its pulling a damn trailer behind it. Code reset, and it's back to normal power. In limp mode will it allow u to push to redline just kick out the turbo? No whooshing sound when it does this
Thanks, Tyson

Last edited:

Strieg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI BPY
Mileage? You need to use vw specific reader, or VAGCOM. That will pull up codes, some are present even without a CEL. Possibly bad 02 sensor and/or MAF sensor. But hard to say without codes.

04sedantyson

90k miles, I don't have the vagcom. Read about it though. Very expensive equipment. Just trying to get some more ideas before I blow another couple racks on it

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
90k miles, I don't have the vagcom. Read about it though. Very expensive equipment. Just trying to get some more ideas before I blow another couple racks on it

A VagCom cable is only $250 (new) & ~$200 (used)
OR find someone local that scan the car for you (for a 6 pack of beer usually)....either by posting or searching a VCDS or VagCom locator, like this:
http://www.maptive.com/ver3/VCDS_Locator

But without VagCom (i.e. better diagnosing) you ARE just throwing money at it without solving your issues