GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Waywell WD6050 Multimedia/GPS Head Unit Info thread

bedeadu

Since KV12 has so many posts in this thread, I am going to hijack this a little for us Canadians. First of all thanks for all the good info.

I am debating getting this HU, sounds good from all the reviews. KV12, judging by some of your maps you are in the GTA (404 and Steeles, drive past there everyday), just wanted to ask you 2 questions. One, how is your GPS reception? Two, from what I saw in this thread, looks like you can only have one antenna wire hooked up for FM, how is your FM recpetion (I know, I know, who wants FM when you have this unit)?

Actually 1 more, you said your Ipod stopped working? Are you talking about the front connector? I heard this cable isn't great quality. I only ask because, before I started debating this unit, I ordered the GROM ipod adaptor. So if I do get this, from what I am reading, it should still work through the CD Changer, might be an option for you if the ipod is important to you.

Amended: I overlooked your "GPS HARDWARE" comment, you say reception is "good", from where you placed your antenna. In this case my question is, do you connect right away? Is it spotty? Would you be able to compare to example a Garmin NUVI unit (which I currently use).

kv12

Ready to race!
Since KV12 has so many posts in this thread, I am going to hijack this a little for us Canadians. First of all thanks for all the good info.

I am debating getting this HU, sounds good from all the reviews. KV12, judging by some of your maps you are in the GTA (404 and Steeles, drive past there everyday), just wanted to ask you 2 questions. One, how is your GPS reception? Two, from what I saw in this thread, looks like you can only have one antenna wire hooked up for FM, how is your FM recpetion (I know, I know, who wants FM when you have this unit)?

Actually 1 more, you said your Ipod stopped working? Are you talking about the front connector? I heard this cable isn't great quality. I only ask because, before I started debating this unit, I ordered the GROM ipod adaptor. So if I do get this, from what I am reading, it should still work through the CD Changer, might be an option for you if the ipod is important to you.

Amended: I overlooked your "GPS HARDWARE" comment, you say reception is "good", from where you placed your antenna. In this case my question is, do you connect right away? Is it spotty? Would you be able to compare to example a Garmin NUVI unit (which I currently use).

GPS Reception is good just as good as the Kenwood GPS I've had and even my Portable NUVI which I still have. Signal will cut out in underground parking lots, and it will be spotty in my garage. rarely and only sometimes the GPS drives will fail to load, all you have to do is to take out the key and restart the car to restart the unit and the drivers will be reloaded, however once the GPS is up and running it will not cut out in the middle of it.

I get both AM and FM reception perfectly I am really surprised.

I don't think the port stopped working, I highly believe the supplied Ipod cable (I think it's outsourced) is cheaply made. If that Ipod adapter system connects the same as the OEM CD changer I think it will work as well.

nikbrewer

Go Kart Champion
the ipod cable is just a ormal ipod cable, but ending in a mini usb right? so you couls use a normal ipod cable with a usb adapter on the end?

soze

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Something Else
Does anyone have a link to the igo 8 website with maps for the US? The only site I can find has nothing but European maps listed.

You aren't looking hard enough. Read through the whole thing on that site. I gave hints in a previous post.

the ipod cable is just a ormal ipod cable, but ending in a mini usb right? so you couls use a normal ipod cable with a usb adapter on the end?

No... it's not a usb connector. In fact... I'm not sure what it is. It looks like a USB port, but it's not.

1canuck2

Ready to race!
So, I am still sorely tempted to get this thing. But I really want a step up in audio quality of the stock HU. I love all the blingy features, but if its just "as good as" the stock HU, I'll have to pass.

The question I have, is what can you get in a HU for the same money?

Can you get, say, an Alpine or Kenwood single DIN with double DIN mounting, and steering wheel control adapter thingy and bluetooth?

The features I NEED are iPod integration (and charging second gen Touch), BlueTooth for hands free phone, good quality audio. The things I like are blingy touch screen, GPS, better on screen interface, factory look. The thing I want is line level out to avoid using a LOC. (I have a 4 channel amp and sub amp to do a full setup.)

If I felt the audio quality of this thing was an improvement over stock, then I'd go with a LOC solution for the amps, as it looks like factory but is drool worthy. But if the audio isn't a step up, I can't trade quality for bling and will settle for non-factory look of Kenwood/Alpine. Its freaking drool worthy though looks-wise.

I am also concerned by the few reports of things like iPod not working and bad soldering breaking, etc... Warranty on this is basically non-existet, right?

bedeadu

GPS Reception is good just as good as the Kenwood GPS I've had and even my Portable NUVI which I still have. Signal will cut out in underground parking lots, and it will be spotty in my garage. rarely and only sometimes the GPS drives will fail to load, all you have to do is to take out the key and restart the car to restart the unit and the drivers will be reloaded, however once the GPS is up and running it will not cut out in the middle of it.

I get both AM and FM reception perfectly I am really surprised.

I don't think the port stopped working, I highly believe the supplied Ipod cable (I think it's outsourced) is cheaply made. If that Ipod adapter system connects the same as the OEM CD changer I think it will work as well.

Thanks KV12, that's helpful info. I wouldn't expect GPS to work in parking garabage, but if comparible to a portable unit, that is good enough for me.

Cosmo

chillin'
So, I am still sorely tempted to get this thing. But I really want a step up in audio quality of the stock HU. I love all the blingy features, but if its just "as good as" the stock HU, I'll have to pass.

The question I have, is what can you get in a HU for the same money?

Can you get, say, an Alpine or Kenwood single DIN with double DIN mounting, and steering wheel control adapter thingy and bluetooth?

The features I NEED are iPod integration (and charging second gen Touch), BlueTooth for hands free phone, good quality audio. The things I like are blingy touch screen, GPS, better on screen interface, factory look. The thing I want is line level out to avoid using a LOC. (I have a 4 channel amp and sub amp to do a full setup.)

If I felt the audio quality of this thing was an improvement over stock, then I'd go with a LOC solution for the amps, as it looks like factory but is drool worthy. But if the audio isn't a step up, I can't trade quality for bling and will settle for non-factory look of Kenwood/Alpine. Its freaking drool worthy though looks-wise.

I am also concerned by the few reports of things like iPod not working and bad soldering breaking, etc... Warranty on this is basically non-existet, right?

LOL. So you're basically wondering whether two blingy's, a bling, a drool worthy, and a freaking drool worthy are enough to offset the audio quality that you haven't heard yet?

:thumbsup:

FWIW, I can relate. This is a tempting find, but I'm worried about overall quality and reliability. Worth considering, though...

darcness

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI CW
LOL. So you're basically wondering whether two blingy's, a bling, a drool worthy, and a freaking drool worthy are enough to offset the audio quality that you haven't heard yet?

:thumbsup:

If you throw in a snazzy and upgrade those drool worthy's to an emoticon (ie. :drool:) I think that just might sweeten the pot.

Still don't know if would be enough, but it's worth a shot. :lol:

1canuck2

Ready to race!
"two blingy's, a bling, a drool worthy, and a freaking drool worthy are enough to offset the audio quality that you haven't heard yet?" LOL, nice summary - I think you get my point :)
I guess I over blung (is blung the past tense of bling?).

Darc: Snazzy is not what I am looking for, too 70's... I don't want flares on my HU. And I mean blingy good, not blingy bad in this case, cos it sure looks good. I'll gladly throw in two emoticons for the factory looks :happyanim: :drool:

But seriously, what about the sound quality?? And the reliability (with little to no recourse if something breaks...)

One of the threads mentioned hiss when you mess with the EQ settings. That's concerning. How many peeps have experienced this?

1canuck2

Ready to race!
BTW, my GTI came with "Premium Sound" (6 CD changer, 10 speakers), BUT, it has no amp. I have looked under both seats and there's certainly nothing there.

Are you all hooking this up to the externally amped premium sound system, or a non-externally-amped premium sound?

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
Car(s)
VW GTI MKVI
I have the 10 speaker setup without an amp under the seat... it's an 06 and I don't think they had that amp then. The WD6050 sounds great... I can turn it up to 40 (100%) with no distortion and my sub is going insane... Nice and loud, but it won't kill you. If you are into sound competitions or something you would definitely need to amp the stock speakers along with subs. I have a 500W RMS Rockford P3 in the back off a 1000W amp and with the gains at half way it's perfect for my tastes. I like to listen to my music and feel it, but I don't want my dub to fall apart!

bedeadu

Well, i currently have the OEM "premium system", with 10 speakers. Must say, I don't think there could be a downgrade from quality from this system, but I don't think it's the stock deck. I've never been impressed, I believe the main reason is the actual speaker quality of the factory speakers.

I must admit not sure what "LOC" is short for. I think from early comments, this HU doesn't have pre-outs for hooking up ext. amp. Obviously ext. amp, with aftermarket speakers would make a serious sound quality differernce, regardless of the HU you are using.

I guess what I am saying is, if your looking for good quality sound as number 1 priority, then you need aftermarket speakers and ext. amps. If not pre-outs on WD6050, then besides all the flashy, eye blinging this unit seems to have, you won't have the same effect for your ears. But lets face it, "Bling" is solely for the eye's.

1canuck2

Ready to race!
A LOC is a Line Out Converter, its used to take a speaker level signal (what the stock HU or the Waywell unti outputs) and drop it down to a line level signal (what most aftermarket amps expect).

I have an Alipine MRP-F250 (40W 4-channel amp) and an MRP-M350 (200W sub amp) that I want to use to add a sub to the trunk and to re-amplify the stock speakers (which I'll eventually replace). The decision is, do I buy the Waywell and a LOC, or do I eschew the bling and buy something like the Alpine iDA-X100 since I mostly want good iPod integration. I'd also like good BlueTooth for handsfree phone, but it sounds like the WayWell isn't that great for handsfree phone either...