GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Washed my key by accident.

Colleton

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 GTI w/DSG
No, I don't think alcohol displaces water.

please don't. They aren't even close to the same thing.

WD-40 will cover you key in grease and make you look like white trash - Electrical Contact Cleaner will fix the problem and make your beautiful woman want to have sex with you again and again.

WD-40 is an oil, not a grease, and was formulated to do exactly what he needs - displace water from electronic assemblies. Electrical contact cleaners were not.

Just wipe it off afterward. He's going to have to wipe it down after spraying it with contact cleaner anyways.

gizmo

Banned
:(

Everyone is against me! I just never got my jollys off by hosing off circuit boards with WD-40...

Still think it's a bad idea.

Colleton

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 GTI w/DSG
I'm not against you man. :smile:

I just presented another option and explained why it was a valid option when you spoke against it.

I would disassemble the key before displacing the water though. That way you would be sure to get all the water and wouldn't have any oil leaking out afterward.

TAK07GTI

tak07gti
Car(s)
2007 VW GTI
I would put it in rice for a week or so. There is something about this on the internet about how to dry out electronics. There are a few things like rice that would work.

njfast07

Go Kart Champion
For future reference: One trick I've had success with after getting my cell phone wet is removing the battery and leaving all the components in a jar of rice for a few days before turning it back on.

this. If you hadn't pressed any buttons, I wouldve done this. I'd still recommend you try it and see what happens...

my gf's cellphone was seemingly dead after going through the wash, nothing worked. even the little piece of paper inside of it that tells verizon whether it's been submerged or not was saturated. she threw it in a box of rice for a day and it worked again.

Domokun

Rawrr
Car(s)
GTI MKV
Didn't the dealer provide you with another spare key? I got two set of keys when I picked up my car, unless you bought it from a private seller.

michail77

Go Kart Champion
I think you can program they key as long as you have another working fob. At least that's how it was with the Audi.

You might just be able to replace the bottom part of the fob that contains the electronics from a blank on ebay. Unless the two halves are somehow electronically connected.

GTIWV

WV VW
you dont need the WHOLE key. you just need the electronic part. you can switch the laser cut part of the key, and you can then reprogram the fob to work with your car. there is a how to on this site somewhere. its not hard at all

Chi_GTI_2009

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI
this is good 2 know.... i know someone who has a key with a low battery could you direct me to the how to.... oh and i'll take a sparkling water with that *snaps fingers*

bigbadvoodooguru

GO LAKERS
Car(s)
VW Rabbit
If you want to get water out, that includes getting moisture out of a headlight, taillight, etc.

Open up your dryfoods, look for the silica gel packets. These are hydrophilic little suckers that literally pull water out of the air. Put em in a sealed area for a bit, you'll have an extremely dry environment in the end. They arent safe to eat so dont try, you can imagine what they would do to your water-based body. They also run out of gas after a while, they can only convert so much water before it runs out of juice.

Moses

Go Kart Champion
you only need to replace the back of the key, aka not the metal.

it will cost you ~50 from the dealer.