GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Washed my key by accident.

b0bbyhimself

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
mkv rabbit 08
Firstly I would like to say I did run a search a couple of times and did not find exactly what I was looking for. So if this is a double post I apologize.

So I kinda got a little drunk the other night and my gf took my clothes off while I was in bed (giddy!) and put my clothes through the wash and I accidentally had my key in my jeans pocket. So the sucker got washed and now the lock/unlock buttons won't work. I flipped the key part out and left it like so to dry over night and it's still a no go. Any idea's on how I can get it to work? I know I have a second one but I would still like to be able to repair it if possible for cheap/free :thumbup: Has anyone opened one of these bad boys up before? Any suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated.

07mkvgti

Rally Car Newbie
Car(s)
06 GTi
Firstly I would like to say I did run a search a couple of times and did not find exactly what I was looking for. So if this is a double post I apologize.

So I kinda got a little drunk the other night and my gf took my clothes off while I was in bed (giddy!) and put my clothes through the wash and I accidentally had my key in my jeans pocket. So the sucker got washed and now the lock/unlock buttons won't work. I flipped the key part out and left it like so to dry over night and it's still a no go. Any idea's on how I can get it to work? I know I have a second one but I would still like to be able to repair it if possible for cheap/free :thumbup: Has anyone opened one of these bad boys up before? Any suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated.

i know a girl that washed hers by accident and she said the key still worked. i'm assuming that if it doesn't, you should just need to buy another for around $250. good luck. try a new battery

moniz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 VW GTI
If no buttons were pressed and it was COMPLETELY dried out, it could still work. All it would take is one press while wet and it would short out and your done. I've washed and ipod shuffle and headphones by mistake, and let them dry out completely, and they were fine.

kootenaydub

The Scandinavian Flick
You can apparently buy keys on ebay, get them cut, and then reprogrammed at the dealership, costs about 1/2 the price of going str8 to dealership.

Generally, unless the battery is dead, the electronics will be fried if operated while wet.

VMRWheels

Go Kart Champion
If no buttons were pressed and it was COMPLETELY dried out, it could still work. All it would take is one press while wet and it would short out and your done. I've washed and ipod shuffle and headphones by mistake, and let them dry out completely, and they were fine.

This.

You probably ended up shorting the circuit when you were testing it out. It takes days for small electronics to dry out after being submerged in water.

For future reference: One trick I've had success with after getting my cell phone wet is removing the battery and leaving all the components in a jar of rice for a few days before turning it back on.

gizmo

Banned
Yank it apart and remove the flat cover to expose the circuits. Hit up a hardware store or Radio shack and get some "Electrical Contact Cleaner" It comes in a spray can. Soak it in that and allow it to dry for about an hour. It will disovle/evaporate any crap on the key. While at radio shack, pickup a new battery.

If it doesn't work, you did it wrong.

Bfreiman

lalalalalalalalalalalala
Yank it apart and remove the flat cover to expose the circuits. Hit up a hardware store or Radio shack and get some "Electrical Contact Cleaner" It comes in a spray can. Soak it in that and allow it to dry for about an hour. It will disovle/evaporate any crap on the key. While at radio shack, pickup a new battery.

If it doesn't work, you did it wrong.

The only time that rice is a good thing on this forum.:wink:

gizmo

Banned
rice is natures absorber.

gizmo

Banned
WD-40 will work as well, and nearly everyone has some around the house. It's probably cheaper too.

http://www.wd40.com/about-us/history/

please don't. They aren't even close to the same thing.

WD-40 will cover you key in grease and make you look like white trash - Electrical Contact Cleaner will fix the problem and make your beautiful woman want to have sex with you again and again.