GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

WALK install issue

flat tire

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Electric + 135i
I put in new whiteline front control arm bushings after pressing the old ones out, no issues with that. When I go to reinstall the control arms, the rear bushing and housing (WALK) is maybe a half inch too far back when the front bushing is aligned. The hex spigot is inserted fully and the end is flush with the back of the bushing. What's going on here? I've watched a video and read the instruction sheet and the WALK is correctly mounted in the right direction on the correct side.

flat tire

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Electric + 135i
I should add that this is on the passenger side. The driver side aligns without much fuss.

maybe your subframe has shifted?

tyrolsport deadset ftw.

flat tire

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Electric + 135i
I have a spare pair of the ECS passat subframe retaining bolts that you pair with the shim. Will I get into trouble reusing the rest?

not really "in trouble"

your car is up on jack stands right?

Do you have a torque wrench?

loosen all of the subframe bolts, including the WALk, then see if both sides line up.

then torque all subframe bolts to spec. if i weren't drunk i'd look up that spec for you. iirc the regular ones are 50-some pounds. the black weird ones are 70-some. the bolts that the ECS kit replaces are the black ones. i could be wrong it's 3:30ish and i have been drinking for a few hours.

then get a front-end alignment at your earliest convenience.

(damn, i still have a subframe bolt kit that i will never, ever install because i have a tyrolsport deadset kit)

flat tire

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Electric + 135i
On jack stands, have torque wrench. Please do get back with the torque specs when you have time.

I should clarify, wrt trouble.

ALL BOLTS STRETCH WHEN TORQUED.

the question is whether they were designed to be thrown away after a single use, and internet parts dealers have been egregious in that regard.

see this explanation: http://www.enginerepairshop.com/torque-specifications.html

I'll find my bentley in the morning. sleep time approaches.

kruegernaut

I'm from Detroit, Man...
OP, Im guessing you are off the jack stands by now, but just in case this might help you or anyone else searching this topic. Check out post 199 towards the bottom of this thread:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...d-Subframe-Collar-Kits-(Front-amp-Rear)/page6

In the pic in that post, bolts 1-6 are this: http://www.ecstuning.com/ES8640/

In the pic in that post, bolts 2a/2b and 5a/5b are this: http://www.ecstuning.com/ES468538/

Like Slim is saying those are all stretch to yield, so if they are loosened or removed, they should be replaced. Especially bolts 3 and 4 if they are OEM, they will be skinny pieces of crap. If you get the Tyrol Deadset kit, it comes with bolts 3 and 4.

One more note, the torque specs in that post match my bentley manual, except for bolts 3 and 4, my manual says 52 ft lbs, not 90 for those. Ive seen both quoted in various forums. its up to you.

I wasn't saying they are TTY bolts. In fact I'm pretty sure only the black ones are TTY - these are the ones that the tyrolsport kit replaces with reusable ARP hardware.

All bolts stretch. the question is whether they have fatigued.

VW is in the habit of using fairly mild steel on a lot of these bolts. which is annoying. But for all but those two black ones, if a close inspection doesn't show any distortion, I say put 'em back in.

http://www.enginerepairshop.com/torque-specifications.html

But don't over-torque them, because they will pull apart like taffy.

flat tire

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Electric + 135i
My car is still on jack stands, so thanks for the updated advice. I have replacement bolts for the 2 black ones. I've been driving my range rover all this time since it's such a pain in the ass working on those bolts under the car. Finally got a friend to come wrench for me, so the project should be done this weekend.

kruegernaut

I'm from Detroit, Man...
Sorry about that Slim. I see better now what you are saying. Since these bolts are so cheap, I replaced them all anyway, but, I tend to obsess.

flat tire

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Electric + 135i
How far does the subframe realign? Some of the holes in the subframe are off by around a centimeter.

Also the one larger hole on the outside of the passenger bushing is off by about a centimeter. This hole is NOT in the subframe, and cannot be realigned. What's up here?

kruegernaut

I'm from Detroit, Man...
I know silly question, but you have the bushings on the side they go on? I think passenger side must be on passenger side, etc. Sorry Im not much help there. Ive done the tyrol deadset with front sway, but I have not done the LCA bushings yet. Actually just ordered superpro and will be putting those on in Feb. When I did the deadset though, the subframe was an absolute bitch to get aligned (I was on jackstands too). No way I could have got it done with out help from a friend to reef on it while I set washers and thread bolts.

flat tire

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Electric + 135i
Bump for any suggestions. All research I've done on this kit suggests installation should be straightforward.