GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VW GTI 2.0T FSI REVO Stage II+ with a blown dv?

rippie74

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 GTI
When I am in 6th gear & I go WOT I only hit 17psi. I used to hit & hold 22-24psi all day long. When I let off the gas the car feels weird like when an auto trans slips (I'm a 6spd manual & my clutch is fine).

The slipping is like when the boost goes back down to a level that the dv can handle it makes the car surge foward... like I'm getting a push from behind... that's the best way I can describe it.

Today my boost went way up to 17psi again & the car went nowhere.... lol it was crazy. My boost gauge shows 20-22in/hg @ idle. No CEL's either I'm leaning towards the DV being toasted...

Do you think my Factory DV has finally had it?

Thanks in advance

josein06gli

GLI OWNER
Car(s)
VW Jetta GLI
only one way to find out, get underneath and pull it off

Viking445

Souless Day Walkin Ginger
Most of the time when a DV blows you dont get anywhere near 17psi and there is a very audible hissing/whooshing noise.

Are you still running stock PCV? Do you have a catch can setup? Have you checked the connections on your IC hoses?

But like Jose said. The best way is the fun way. Get your girl up on stands and get under her. :p

rippie74

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I have the factory IC & a BSH catch can & I hear a hissing but its hard to tell, my exhaust is kinda loud under boost

rippie74

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 GTI
ok i ran logs... anyone wanna convert them into graphs for me?

jaycheetwood

Go Kart Champion
Rippie, I was having an issue like this before i adjusted my tune. What it was for me was the wastegate was opening because it was seeing to much boost, then it would close when it was lower. I dont know if this could be the same issue, or if it truely is your DV.

If its the wastegate I had to adjust my boost numbers with my revo settings to accept more boost. Just my .02 but it could be something totally different.

rbradleymedmd

Go Kart Champion
Definitely a boost leak...everything else looks okay. Your timing advance should improve slightly once the leak is fixed and the ECU isn't maxing out the turbo to meet the requested values. FYI, overall timing advance is based on the secondary y-axis on graph 2.

untitled1.JPG

untitled2.JPG

rippie74

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Check the noise pipe connection on the firewall if its still in tact. The most audible boost leaks I have ever heard have been from that port.

Great graphs... Thanks Ryan...

Phil the noise pipe has been removed for about 10,000 miles. I think the spring in my DV has taken a beating for the past 30K miles @ Stage II+.

rippie74

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Well I pulled the dv & its fine. Pushed the hot side intercooler hose into place, it looked like it wiggled out a bit. Took it for a ride & it still hisses & doesn't hit peak boost.. hmmmm....

rippie74

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Spoke with Arin (APR) today @ WF 16. Told him about this issue & he said check your Catch Can. I checked it last week but I decided to check it again today. Low & behold one of the screws (the left side screw on the BSH plate) on the engine was loose. So I checked both screws... right side screw was tight... the left side one just keeps spinning & doesn't get tight, wtf.

How the heck did this happen? It screws into the valve cover that is plastic. When you look down upon where the BSH Catch Can plate mates up to the valve cover you can see the orange gasket.

My Q is: Has this happeed to anyone else? How do you fix it? Do I need a new valve cover?

Viking445

Souless Day Walkin Ginger
Ah you stripped out your valve cover. Thats a pain in the ass to fix. There is a thread around here where someone else did the same thing and was able to fix it somehow.

rbradleymedmd

Go Kart Champion
Valve cover has nothing to do with your boost issue. If anything, that would have affected your vacuum readings, but not boost. Think about it...with your catch can set-up, you blocked off the intake manifold...thus, the PCV system no longer sees any sort of boost. A catch can plate, nor the valve cover itself will create a boost leak.

Rippie, can we get a full breakdown on all your mods?

Also, here is Rysskii's valve cover DIY repair (never used it before, but seems to have helped quite a few people)...

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68183&highlight=stripped+thread