• more options

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • i don't care

Votes: 6 42.9%

• Total voters

dpham00

Modérateur Emeritus
Verizon to stop offering 1-year contracts

So, as you may know, earlier this year, Verizon ended the annual upgrade and the new every two program. It was nice because you could get a two-year contract price and just upgrade every year with the annual upgrade option, but when that was canceled, I was thinking, no big deal, I can still use the one-year contract. Well, now, big red is getting rid of the one-year contract as well as of April 17th. ugh.

In some cases, big red's two year pricing is the same as the one year pricing (!). Why anyone would want to lock themselves into a two year contract when a one year contract is the same price is beyond me. Other cases, the price difference is around $30 for some phones, including smartphones like the Thunderbolt, which, quite honestly, is not a bad deal considering in a year, there may be much better lte phones out there. Obviously there are phones with a larger discrepancy as well, i just posted a few to prove my point. Of course, Verizon has a right to set their rules, but their justification of saying, "Keep in mind, a majority of our customers select a two-year contract when buying our devices, so we are responding to what our customers want."...what customer wants less options?

of course, for those that want a data plan, locking in a longer contract might not be a bad thing as Verizon plans to have tiered data plans this summer.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2383335,00.asp

below are prices, for comparison. note that they include my employer discount,

Attachments

• thunderbolt.jpg
    thunderbolt.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 1,029
  • droid.jpg
    droid.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 990
  • samsung.jpg
    samsung.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 911
  • samsung1.jpg
    samsung1.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 1,012
  • misc.jpg
    misc.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 934

julito04

I plead the fif.
Car(s)
08 WRX Limited
I have sprint too and the 4g is lacking compared to verizon's. Verizon's LTE is sick fast. I was actually contemplating making the switch, but not anymore.

RSMark5

Go Kart Champion
So wait, I'm currently up for an annual upgrade. I was waiting for a new phone to come out, so was holding off. Does this mean I have to go upgrade before the 17th otherwise I won't able to resign for a new 2 year contract until this one ends?

Scharf

After having AT&T it's going to take a lot to pull me away from Verizon.

dpham00

Modérateur Emeritus
So wait, I'm currently up for an annual upgrade. I was waiting for a new phone to come out, so was holding off. Does this mean I have to go upgrade before the 17th otherwise I won't able to resign for a new 2 year contract until this one ends?

if you are eligible for upgrade now thru annual upgrade or otherwise, and upgrade before april 17th, then you can sign a 1 year contract. if you upgrade on or after april 17th, your eligibility to upgrade is not changed, but you must sign a 2 year contract. if you plan to sign a 2 year contract anyways, then this won't affect you. even though the annual upgrade and ne2 programs have ended, you can use them one last time, if you wish. if you do not use them, on this next upgrade, then you will forfeit it, and cannot use it in the future.

i too was waiting for another phone, either the Bionic or ip5 but, i figure, i don't want a phone for 2 years now, esp. with lte in it's infancy. also,big red will most likely be tiering the data, so you might have to pay more for your data, so i want to swing in and get the unlimited for $30.

RSMark5

Go Kart Champion
Hmmmm good point. I'm actually just finally ending an Alltel contract. I renewed right before the Verizon buy-out. I got a notice that I was up for an annual upgrade and they wanted me to come in for a Droid-X, but I was really holding out for a Bionic. Hmmm what to do, what to do. I don't want to get a phone other than I wanted.. But, I don't want to get 1 year into the next contract (if I wait until after the 17th to wait for Bionic) and not be able to upgrade for another 12 months. This really sucks.

dpham00

Modérateur Emeritus
Hmmmm good point. I'm actually just finally ending an Alltel contract. I renewed right before the Verizon buy-out. I got a notice that I was up for an annual upgrade and they wanted me to come in for a Droid-X, but I was really holding out for a Bionic. Hmmm what to do, what to do. I don't want to get a phone other than I wanted.. But, I don't want to get 1 year into the next contract (if I wait until after the 17th to wait for Bionic) and not be able to upgrade for another 12 months. This really sucks.

believe me, i know, i'm in the same dilemma. still haven't decided myself.

Parrothead

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
so fucking sick of verizons shitty new "simplified policies" .... i wish they weren't the best carrier :(

GTIWV

WV VW
I love AT&T, the 24% discount does sway my opinion though.

Parrothead

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
maybe you'll be happier when they make things more complicated and offer tiered data pricing this summer. :yikes:

absolutely not.

luckily I'm in one of their simple "2 year contracts" so I'm good on data for a long time to come...