GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Valve Cleaning DIY

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
I can tell you that running the pcv to atmosphere does stink. I could see it coming out under the car and I could smell it. The only way you wouldn't is windows up with the a/c on recirculate. It was so bad my wife asked what was wrong with the car. There is also an internal EGR which overlaps valve timing and pukes gasses back into the intake manifold. Completely separate from weeping valve guides. This is true of TSI engines anyway.

Zach L

VR junkie
I guess my experience is different as I ran my pcv to the exhaust wihtout using a check valve (aftermarket valve cover) and that negative pressure caused a MASSIVE amount of oil consumption (normally I have none, but in 14 hours of driving I consumed ~15 quarts of oil).
eurocars almost mentioned that he tried routing to the exhaust (he uses the an aftermarket valve cover as well) and he also experienced a huge amount of oil consumption and has since changed to a VTA can instead of exhaust.
Wow! That crazy! Sounds like this happens with the aftermarket valve cover, but I'm not sure exactly why. All the systems I've installed and ran have been without a check valve and with factory valve cover. The vacuum measurements in the post above are without a check valve. It is possible there is some restriction in the factory oil separator as PCV gases leave the crankcase. With a factory valve cover all gases pass through the separator before going out the rear port.

I can tell you that running the pcv to atmosphere does stink. I could see it coming out under the car and I could smell it. The only way you wouldn't is windows up with the a/c on recirculate. It was so bad my wife asked what was wrong with the car. There is also an internal EGR which overlaps valve timing and pukes gasses back into the intake manifold. Completely separate from weeping valve guides. This is true of TSI engines anyway.
From your description it sounds like you ran a hose to the ground or released PCV into your engine bay issuing a VTA can. I can imagine that would create either a spot on the ground or an oily film in your engine bay. Both issues are solved by routing to the exhaust.

For me to smell the slight fuel smell I described earlier, I have to stand behind the car with the exhaust coming right out at me. Other than that there is no difference from a factory car. I love driving with windows down and have never had an issue with smell coming in through the A/C or windows.

I'm sorry some people have had bad experiences, but it sounds like they can be explained and easily avoided.

Strieg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI BPY
^ so, the "best" way to run it is stock VC, with the piece you showed earlier? Going to exhaust? I'm getting ready to redo mine, and clean valves, and really want to cut down on recirc gases

Zach L

VR junkie
^ so, the "best" way to run it is stock VC, with the piece you showed earlier? Going to exhaust? I'm getting ready to redo mine, and clean valves, and really want to cut down on recirc gases
In my experience and putting it on several other cars, yes. I've yet to find a downside.

Cliff note DIY: Weld the nipple in the exhaust, use a BSH PCV Bypass (or similar) to send all gases out the rear port, then use a hose to link the rear port outlet to the exhaust nipple. Use an expansion plug to close off hole in intake that normally connects to the rear port.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Ok your way may smell better but it will not pass emissions/inspection. I still say it's a waste of time. I'm at 106k and haven't needed carbon cleaning yet.

09GTIJOE

Go Kart Champion
emissions are different for every state, here in cali, yes its a no go, but come smog time, reconnect everything and throw on a stock intake and downpipe and your good.

Epic_Sandwich

I Drive a Sedan
In my experience and putting it on several other cars, yes. I've yet to find a downside.

Cliff note DIY: Weld the nipple in the exhaust, use a BSH PCV Bypass (or similar) to send all gases out the rear port, then use a hose to link the rear port outlet to the exhaust nipple. Use an expansion plug to close off hole in intake that normally connects to the rear port.

This would still be effective with a tradational recuirc CC installed instead of the block off plate, correct?

I have the CTS Turbo CC and would like to keep it but run the rear PCV to the exhaust as described. Just want to be sure that the recuirc CC won't harm anything.

Zach L

VR junkie
Ok your way may smell better but it will not pass emissions/inspection. I still say it's a waste of time. I'm at 106k and haven't needed carbon cleaning yet.
I have passed 3 emission sniff tests the last 3 years while having an exhaust routed PCV installed. I'm using a factory downpipe. Much of Texas doesn't do emissions testing, but I'm in Austin. The major cities have had historically high pollution rates so now federally enforced pollution caps require emissions testing every single year. It has been that way for at least a decade. Technically, any emission modification is illegal, but since it passes both visual and sniff tests it might as well be considered legal IMO. No parts changing needed.

All the PCV work I've done to my car has worked effectively, without any issues, and it's all still installed on the car. A waste of time would have been installing some other, less than ideal system then changing to a different system later.

Last edited:

Zach L

VR junkie
This would still be effective with a tradational recuirc CC installed instead of the block off plate, correct?

I have the CTS Turbo CC and would like to keep it but run the rear PCV to the exhaust as described. Just want to be sure that the recuirc CC won't harm anything.
It would still work but the catch can wouldn't have much of a purpose other than keeping your exhaust tips a little less sooty. You could take a small U shaped hose to join the connections where the catch can hoses are now hooked up to the valve cover.

M0riarty

An update regarding MPG: prior to the valve cleaning my best-case mpg for highway cruising was mid 27s. I figured this was because of the roof rack I'm running. Wrong!

I'm now averaging 30-31mpg highway post-valve cleaning WITH roof rack. Also used to occasionally experience a feeling of hesitation/mild vibration from engine when passing in 6th gear on highway - that is also gone. Completely smooth and confident now. Yet another reason to get this done!

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Zach, I'm surprised you pass the emissions. This is good info.

Zach L

VR junkie
Before this thread I don't think I've ever posted my emissions experience. Thanks for voicing your concern and glad I could share. It doesn't pass with a catless downpipe, of course, but I can't comment on how an aftermarket catted DP would do. If someone wants to try on their catted DP, they could always remove the exhaust PCV if they wanted to if it didn't pass. The exhaust nipple is threaded so you can find a cap at Home Depot to cap it off. You could then remove the plug from the intake's metal fitting and reconnect to valve cover rear port. So this is pretty much permanently or temporarily reversible.

wizim

is there another diy for this that still has photos? my 16 year old son and i started this yesterday but it would be much easier with photos.