GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VAG-COM

peterbrown77

Hola -

I just inherited an 07 2dr, and the whack speedometer is killing me. I read I can make it (somewhat) better by changing a digit on the speedo impulse settings, and need VAG-COM to do this.

Visited the Ross website, and see it's $250. I look on eBay and see them for $9. What am I missing here? I don't want to tweak every setting, I'd be happy to disable the auto door locks and get the speedo closer to reality.

TIA

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I suspect you will need a real Ross-Tech cable for that. There is a VAG-COM locator thread on this forum for folks who have cables and are willing to change codes in exchange for beer etc.

eurocars

5/17/15 - Never forget
Car(s)
2006 GTI

live4something

Ready to race!
The cables on eBay won't be compatible with all the features of vagcom software, if it communicates at all. Cost vs value is something to consider. Buying a genuine cable has had the best return on initial cost of anything I've purchased for my car

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
So what do the $9 ones accomplish??? Just reading the codes?

Keep in mind the legality of knock-off cables. I'm unsure how Ross-Tech has their licenses set up, but I would assume that with their official cable, you're also paying for a license to the software. You'd have to read their EULA to see if using a knock-off cable with their software is considered theft.

flat tire

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Electric + 135i
I doubt the $9 cable works with an up-to-date copy of VCDS, so you would be using a pirated, outdated version. That may very well work, but it's always best to support companies making products you like if you can afford it. Keep in mind the cables hold value very well, so you can buy a legit cable used on classifieds and sell it later for what you pay. Any legit cable will work with the latest software, which anyone can freely download from the website.

Also, you need a cable that supports CAN to communicate with MKV, which not all $9 cables may.

peterbrown77

Keep in mind the legality of knock-off cables. I'm unsure how Ross-Tech has their licenses set up, but I would assume that with their official cable, you're also paying for a license to the software. You'd have to read their EULA to see if using a knock-off cable with their software is considered theft.

From what I read on the Ross site, the $9 cable shouldn't work at all with their software since the cable is also the software dongle. I just don't get the utility of it - unless there's another piece of software that is not Ross'? Or I guess you could buy just the software from Ross, using the activation code but then it's no bargain anymore.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
I bought an imitation cable, it was a waste of money. Get the real thing.