GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ukraine: WAR Huh - What Is It Good For Absorootly Nothing

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
The gun? Maybe mount it to a building somehow? Guessing here...

I mean how it functions, how it shoots, and how to get those rounds on target effectively. He should have grabbed the base and tripod. Can’t tell if it’s a manual trigger backplate, or a solenoid type. Jacking a HMG is good shit, but running one is a different ball game.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
You don't need a mount. You just need Arnold.

1648180042381.png

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
So I just read somewhere the because Russians soldiers aren't properly equipped for the weather in Ukraine (the most shocking thing I've read yet) they're having to turn on their vehicles for warmth, which is making them particularly easy targets for Ukrainian artillery using drones equipped with thermal lenses for spotting.

Now that's a lot to unpack there but for those of you who know more than I do on this subject. #1 Are the tanks really that visible on a thermal lenses if they're running? and #2 Are they really invisible if they were off? Obviously the engine and exhaust would give off some heat signature but is it enough to know that this is a tank vs something else.

Forgot to respond to this, busy day today, and I’m sleepy.

Thermal optics “see” variance in the heat of objects in the field of view, then change it to a TV picture for the operator to interpret. Even a dead cold tank in a cold night can be seen on thermal, though not nearly as blatantly obvious as one that’s been running. This is because the earth and surrounding vegetation changes temperature at a different rate than the hull of a tank or vehicle. Even the road wheels with their rubber linings change temp at a different rate than the rest of the wheel. So 99% of the time you can’t hide a tank even if not running. Furthermore when troops are in their sleeping bags you can see their heat signatures. And, oh lawd when they smoke. Running a vehicle at night keeps the engine warm for a quick movement, keeps occupants warm, but also recharges the batteries from constant draining by the radios and other systems. Thermal is a kick, but is kinda line of sight with the heat source. That is you can hang a tarp between the heat and the thermal and be totally hidden, but there’s other ways to see you. That and the Russians are lacking discipline, so doing dumb shit that make them targets is the standard it seems. Between thermal and standard passive night vision, it’s hard to hide. It appears the Russians have limited night time capability, which is bad news in modern warfare. We have strived to own the night for a reason.

The M1A1 is know to cook things behind it. The engine is a gas turbine, and the jet of exhaust pumps out the exhaust louvers like you wouldn’t believe. I’ve seen them ignite cars that pulled too close. I made the mistake of getting too close and my now medium rare gunner asked me repeatedly to back off with his boot.

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
The Russian officer who was run over on purpose by his own junior ranks as he was ordering them about & they have no food, low morale etc...well he's now dead from his injuries..

https://news.sky.com/story/ukraine-...ariupol-12541713?postid=3611936#liveblog-body

Also another commander has been killed

https://news.sky.com/story/ukraine-...ariupol-12541713?postid=3611870#liveblog-body

Oh & here's satellite images of the Russia ship that is in the so called "controlled by Russia" area that got blown up yesterday

https://news.sky.com/story/ukraine-...ariupol-12541713?postid=3612116#liveblog-body

Still trying to figure out what "plan" this is going to Putin.... :unsure: .

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
It's open season on Russian officers.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
My old Lego is having a go at Putin......old saying "quality is what counts, not quantity"....💪

OMD13315---Copy-full-frame-reduced-text.jpg

Last edited: