GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TWINtake Impressions

plyhard13

Passed Driver's Ed
EDIT: Updated with pics

Hey all. I got a TWINtake for Christmas but had to wait until just this last weekend to install it. It was such an excruciating wait!

The build quality is first rate. I don't have much experience with the other major intakes, but this one is definitely top notch...solid welds, uniform powder coating, premium hose clamps (more on that later).

The install was fairly straightforward. There are a ton of pieces, but the directions are very concise and easy to follow. The only little wrinkle I noticed was that you have to use the full length of the hose that joins the two pipes together. I wasn't paying close enough attention and got a bit of rubbing against the engine with the twin pipe on the first try.

I don't have any dyno numbers, but the good 'ole butt dyno really felt a difference. I'm not very good at detecting increases like 5-10hp, but I really felt the difference with this one so I don't doubt the 18hp claims.

The sound is absolutely perfect. Not much difference at idle or cruising, but step on the throttle and this baby screams!

Service: It was purchased from ecstuning, and as far as I know they shipped it out pronto with no issues. The girlfriend was worried it wasn't going to make it in time for Christmas since she ordered a bit late...however, it was waiting for me when I got home from work!

Shout out to Forge: As received, it was missing one hose clamp. Not a problem a 2 minute trip to the hardware store can't fix. However, the most expensive hardware store hose clamp felt like a Cracker Jack toy compared to the ones shipped with the TWINtake. I sent a quick PM to Mike@Forge...without any questioning, he fired one off to me the next day (just arrived). It may seem like a little thing, but its that kind of service that brings people back.

Conclusion: This is a premium quality product (which demands a premium price). It might not be for everyone due to the cost, but it is unique and actually makes real power (subjectively). I would definitely recommend this to anyone on the fence.

Last edited:

vegasGTI

Go Kart Champion
glad your enjoying cheers.

dubbin

All in, All out..
Car(s)
09 GTI
Pics necessary indeed. Especially close up on the side leg that connects near the fog light. I just made a custom "twintake" this last weekend, so I'm curious to see how their setup functions.

OHH is that right...:cool:

:needpics:

:biggrin:

plyhard13

Passed Driver's Ed
As requested, here are some pics. It was 19 and windy when I went out to do this so you better enjoy them! :wink: Also, I know its crazy dirty, but again, it's 19 degrees so no washing for a while.

As you can see from the pics, every part of this kit is high quality.

BlueAHR32

Autocross Champion
Damn very nice. Am I seeing a modified oil neck spout? As in shortened?

plyhard13

Passed Driver's Ed
Damn very nice. Am I seeing a modified oil neck spout? As in shortened?

Yep...it's very easy to do. the neck is just a spacer (my guess is other FSI applications don't use it). Either wait until the engine is hot and just pull it off (if you have some muscles), or get a big set of channel locks and twist it off.

BlueAHR32

Autocross Champion
Yep...it's very easy to do. the neck is just a spacer (my guess is other FSI applications don't use it). Either wait until the engine is hot and just pull it off (if you have some muscles), or get a big set of channel locks and twist it off.

Haha I have a TSI so mine is already flush :biggrin: