GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Turbo went bad (TSI '08.5)

patrick_irwin

Go Kart Champion
ok so here the update on my car, driving home from work, gas light came on, stopped to get gas. got back in the car, car wouldnt start, tried 4 or 5 times, finally got pissed mashed the gas and turned the key. amazing the car started. started to drive out of the parking lot car started shaking really bad, popped it into neutral, engine light started flashing. car cut off. WTF right? car wouldnt crank. sat for a little bit, call vw said they would send a tow truck, told them id try one more time. started revved to 5000rpm for about 5 seconds shook really hard again. drove off and the rpm kept jumped and falling. got home at the car shook when i was sitting the drive way. cel started flashing again vw is sending a tow truck in the morning

dubbin

All in, All out..
Car(s)
09 GTI
^^WTF? ooo sh*t, our chipped TSI's have a weak point, at the worst possible point at that...l;gaf;ghqeaoa!!

clockwise33

New York Giants Fanatic
When it comes to dealers in NJ it's gotta be Douglas all the way. JC in the parts department and Pat in the shop have hooked it up for me like nobodies business in the past couple years. It's over twice as far as Jack Daniel's and Crestmont for me, and I still don't hesitate in taking the drive when somethings up with the car. Do not use another dealership in northern/central NJ. :thumbsup:

dubbin

All in, All out..
Car(s)
09 GTI
well its one or two reported so far, these thiings start getting miles on them in a chipped status, an then they start going, i only got 11k so far so im sure im good, for now. An not every chipped gti is on the forum either, or part of one, there could possibly be more..im jus saying, i havent heard but a handfull of k03's on the fsi's go...some ppl push the hell out of em at that, tsi's arent that heavy yet into stg2 yet, so well see...though ill remain positive an not really care too much cause it is only one or two..

PJ81

power hungry
O btw i blew my bpy turbo at 2500 miles. Yes 25 hundred.

what in the world?! you were completely stock too?
that's ridiculous...
did you at least get it covered under warranty?
oh, and i see you have a FSI, not a TSI.

i can't believe they wouldn't do warranty work because of a forge DV. that's actually a part that would PROTECT the car more, not put more strain on it. i actually have parts that put legitimate strain on the car. that's strange. was the guy who took care of you named joe?

eurocars

5/17/15 - Never forget
Car(s)
2006 GTI
all i can say is that we seem to have better luck than the mazdaspeed guys do. the k04's that they have seem to blow up quite regularly. i have a friend with a 2007 mazdaspeed6 that had the turbo replaced, then 2 weeks later he got a new engine. all he had was an aem cai. from what i hear, the vw k04's are designed differently.

patrick_irwin

Go Kart Champion
Oh please. 1 or 2 turbo's failing does not indicate a weak point for chipped TSI's.

Turbo's can fail when the car is completely stock.

:rolleyes:

And I don't think patrick_irwin's problem is a bad turbo.

car has been at the dealership since about 7:30, they said that they drove it around town for about 15min and experienced the same problems i was telling them about. they called me at 12:00 say they had no idea what was wrong. the computer crashed and cleared out all my information. they called me at 3:00 said they service the car for free and that it didnt count as my 30k service. they said that straightened everything out and couldnt find any problem that it was running like new again.

so what do you guys think, was wrong with my car.

cevMkV

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 UG MkV GTI MT
O btw i blew my bpy turbo at 2500 miles. Yes 25 hundred.

i too blew a turbo with only 5000 on my 08 FSI. i had apr stg 1 bsh dv, eurosport intake, and a few others.

got it replaced under warranty, as it should have been