GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TSI: cold start - Idling stumble/popping(misfire?)

2003rex

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Yes lol
Car Info:
2009 VW GTI - TSI CBFA
56,000~ miles: Owned since new
6 spd Manual
New set of spark plugs to install tomorrow, when changing the oil. (OEM Plugs)

I've had this reoccuring problem for the last month or so right after I received my APR stg1 flash. I don't believe its the flash that created the problem at all though. My car has had a little hesitation here and there at idle before I ever received the flash and never a CEL. As long as I can remember it has, I felt it was normal engine vibrations for VW's as I've felt the same in other GTI's.

What I have going on since the flash is that on a cold starts 90% of the time the gti starts with a initial strange idle as its cycling the secondary air system. Soon after it begins to stumble and some slight popping off at idle like it's misfiring then the CEL begins to flash. After the system cycles, it will idle like normal. Any start ups after that throught out the day, the car turns on and idles just fine. The CEL just continues to stay on. Once in a while, the CEL will turn off, but 1 out of every 10 cold start ups.

When driving around when the car is warm, it's completely normal and pulls hard when I do open it. Just for reference I pulled a GLI/DSG with just an intake pretty badly, so there does not seem to be any power loss at all. I've had no strange hesitation or any other CELs pop up while driving, just only cold start.

I know it's tough to know what the problem could be without telling you the code it is popping, but any ideas as to what it could potentially be.

I hope I provided enough detail to narrow down what the problem could potentially be without giving the code it's popping. I should have the code tomorrow morning so I can provide that also.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Luis

2003rex

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Yes lol
Well just the left the dealership:
P0300, P0302, P0303, P0301 misfires

P2015 position sensor range performance

U0429 invalid data from steering column module

"Sporadic misfires due to carbon buildup. Checked intake manifold runner change over for freedom of movement, found actuator rod moves freely and without normal resistance."

Recommendation: perform de-carbon service along with fuel injection service and clean intake valves and injectors. Replace intake manifold runner position sensor.

1364.00 labor
514.00 parts

Overall, great way to start my morning.......... they are crazy to think Im paying this.

2003rex

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Yes lol
They would not give me the parts list. Wouldn't the intake manifold be covered under the powertrain warranty

xcrazydx

Crack Rock Fresh
Car(s)
2007 CW GTI
Technical Service Bulletin Transaction No.: 2019394/1
01-08-32 - DTC P2015 (2968) Stored in ECM Fault Memory (U.S. Only)
Release date: Nov 21, 2008

Condition:
DTC P2015 (2968) Stored in ECM Fault Memory (U.S. Only)
DTC will set with or without MIL ON

DTC Description:
P2015 (2968) Intake Manifold Runner Position Sensor/Switch Circuit Range/Performance Sporadic

Technical Background:
• Intake manifold tumble flaps sporadically stick.
• Engine performance is not affected.

Production Solution:
Production countermeasure implemented.

2003rex

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Yes lol
So is this a tsb for tsi engines as well. I know there was one for fsi's. I'm about to go back to the dealership a bit pissed off if this is so and they told me they wouldn't cover my issues under warranty

melancholygypsy

Bring out the Gimp
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Are you taking your car to Neftin? they have never given me trouble for warranty claims before, but I don't doubt they would try this crap... Let us know what happens!

2003rex

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Yes lol
No, I called New Century where I originally purchased my car new and they have been nothing but spectacular over the phone. Patrick with the service department was amazing to deal with and I'm scheduled for an appointment tomorrow. The group at new Century truly understand the value of great customer service.

xcrazydx

Crack Rock Fresh
Car(s)
2007 CW GTI
No, I called New Century where I originally purchased my car new and they have been nothing but spectacular over the phone. Patrick with the service department was amazing to deal with and I'm scheduled for an appointment tomorrow. The group at new Century truly understand the value of great customer service.

Excellent man! Glad you're getting taken care of! You explained the TSB and everything?

2003rex

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Yes lol
I didn't really have to, Patrick already knew about the tsb. Over at Barber VW they just checked the cel and gave me a parts and labor list. With New Century, Patrick wants to find the root of the problem by getting some hands dirty. Check to see if its carbon build-up causing all this or actually crack open the car and check/replace the intake manifold under warranty if need be. Whether under warranty or not I'm glad I went to them.

I'll keep everyone updated as things happen tomorrow.

Luis