Banned
Car(s)
Jetta
rain-x is much better, doesnt leave blue residue crap all over

nintendodude

Banned
Car(s)
Jetta
does it go by conductivity? I thought there was a float switch or something.

Guticb

Ready to race!
i dont understand what the conductivity of your washer fluid has to do with anything.

It measures how much fluid there is through the conductivity of it, doesnt it?

nintendodude

Banned
Car(s)
Jetta
no, I think, if it uses conducivity to measure, that there would be two posts on opposite sides of the tank, and when they no longer complete the high resistance circuit (level too low) it would trigger and indicator. hard to tell since it is out of sight, but who really give a flying fuck anyway?

thez19

GITEE Up N Go!!
Car(s)
2018 GTI SE
Fucking...fill up ur damn washer fluid...

I mean, sometimes it sloshes around, may trip a sensor, I DOUBT this is something to get ur panties in a twist about man..

Ricesteam

Passed Driver's Ed
Finally, someone who is actually helpful and not mocking me.

The warning gets annoying because it displays every 3min or so.

It's obviously not empty otherwise I wouldn't have post to get some insight on this issue.

I believe it has to do with the substance of Rain-X as Chris said because after work, the temperature was warmer, the warning no longer goes off.

Of course, this morning the temperture was way too cold for normal, and the warning is on.

I'm gonna try add some tap water after work.

Also, I'm not a car mechanic/techie so I don't think i want to fiddle with anything...yet.

The cap does not have a sensor and the system is not pressurized so it has nothing to do with that. They would never put a warning on something like that as it would just cost money to make and waste thousands of dollars and time diagnosing non issues at the dealer.

That being said as per my testing a few weeks ago with similar issues people were having with methanol in there washer bottles and the slight coming on it seems that the fluid is not conductive enough. Distilled water and methanol do not conduct electricity very well at all. The rain X fluid was noted as causing a problem most likely because of the high methanol content and it is probably manufactured with distilled water vs tap water.

I would mix in some tap water even just 5-10% would probably be fine and it should fix it.

Barros VeeDub

uhm... wait what?
Car(s)
2008 VW GTI
Finally, someone who is actually helpful and not mocking me.

The warning gets annoying because it displays every 3min or so.

It's obviously not empty otherwise I wouldn't have post to get some insight on this issue.

I believe it has to do with the substance of Rain-X as Chris said because after work, the temperature was warmer, the warning no longer goes off.

Of course, this morning the temperture was way too cold for normal, and the warning is on.

I'm gonna try add some tap water after work.

Also, I'm not a car mechanic/techie so I don't think i want to fiddle with anything...yet.

then the fluid prob froze over a little even tho the orange stuff isnt ssuppose to freeze. the frozen fluid just set off the sensor. that is all.

Fivespeedg

Ready to race!
There are so many variables here.

I believe the washer fluid sensor does go based on conductivity. There are probably two points inside the plug, and so long as there is washer fluid between them, it closes the circuit. If you've got methanol and water in there, it's possible the circuit is staying open and tripping the light.

So...check the sensor. Make sure it's plugged in or hasn't been damaged, that no fluid is frozen around it. If the light is on, and your bottle is full, run some fluid through and fill up with regular tap water (not filtered or bottled water) just tap water with good old calcium, flouride, chlorine, lead, arsenic, etc :) Warning -- this will greatly increase the freezing temp of your fluid. If you determine that's the problem, then change out the washer fluid to something with more conductive crap in it.

If that still doesn't fix it...throw it at the dealer ;)

Starbucks

Ready to race!
now you got me worry.... I still have 2 bottles sitting in the garage...

but a lot of people in the Canada part of this forum uses X rain... I don't think any of them has any problem... even in "extreme" cold...

gtimkvftw

18dogbaby
Car(s)
2008 BMP GTI 6MT
I use rain x. But I also disabled my washer fluid warning before winter started. I dont need the car to tell me when it's empty because I check all these things when I check my oil.

nintendodude

Banned
Car(s)
Jetta
I use rain x. But I also disabled my washer fluid warning before winter started. I dont need the car to tell me when it's empty because I check all these things when I check my oil.

I go through a bottle of fluid every 3 days sometimes. I doubt any sane individual checks their oil that often.