GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

"Top up wash fluid" warning

JimmyzMKV

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08' CW GTI 5 Door
I had the same issues with the Mercedes over the road trucks. When some ass hat put non Mercedes coolant in the system, the low coolant light came on and stays on until the coolant is changed to the correct spec. I'm sure the GTI uses the same type sensors, conductive resistance circuit. No moving parts. they have two ploes in one sensor. Gotta love the Germans...

MADgolFER

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
08 MkV
instead worrying about freezing temp going up after adding water, just put some salt in table salt in there... sodium and chlorine ions conduct electricity well and as long as you don't put pounds of stuff in there it won't clog or damage the piping, etc...

Barros VeeDub

uhm... wait what?
Car(s)
2008 VW GTI
instead worrying about freezing temp going up after adding water, just put some salt in table salt in there... sodium and chlorine ions conduct electricity well and as long as you don't put pounds of stuff in there it won't clog or damage the piping, etc...

dont forget the pepper :fighting0030: :bellyroll:

not a bad idea tho, honestly... but i say, just go back to reg washer fluid.

nintendodude

Banned
Car(s)
Jetta
mix rainex with VW fluid. everyone wins, and your windshield will smell awesome.

AshiieMarie819

Topped Fluid

Hello Everyone,

My husband has a GTI and is in storage because he is currently deployed, recently i went home for the holidays and when i came back home to went to drive it around like i normally do, the "Top Up Wash Fluid" sign was flashing so i check it and it looks good but added more into it anyways but the sign won't turn off, Also when i was driving it the RPM's jumped to 5 when i was only doing 30 mph.
Does anyone know why this would happen?

xola3que

euroturd
^ I think the sensor might be all gunked up after sitting around too long not driven. Do this at you own risk but you can degunk them by put a 50/50 vinegar water and driving around a while and let it sloshes until it cleans everything then empty it out by disconnect the line to sprayers into a bottle. I wouldn't spray those vinegar all over the paint.

OP...This happens to me too.
the reservoir leaks on mine when it's really cold out. It'd empty the whole gallon in a few days by itself. Fill it up again and lay some newspaper at the bottom to see if anything drips.

Last edited:

4Motioner

4Motion, baby!
Car(s)
2007 Golf V
Man, is this thread for real!?

There's a sensor in your washer fluid tank that looks like it has 2 nails sticking out. The fluid closes the contact between these pins and the light on your dash turns off. So yes, you need fluid in there to conduct electricity and to ground the sensor.

The washing fluid system is NOT pressurized and it doesn't matter if you have the cap on or not. This is not like the coolant system.

You need to keep in mind that frozen water, also called ICE, doesn't conduct electricity so the system doesn't work if your washer fluid is frozen. I'm not sure what the freezing point of that Rain-X stuff is since we don't have it hear, but you should always use a mix that's appropriate for your area. Should go without saying.

jkmboler

Ready to Mod!!!
Add 2 oz of regular antifreeze (engine coolant antifreeze) to your full windshield washer reservoir.

This will do two things:

1 - Increase the conductivity of the fluid and should resolve the problem if Rain-X isn't conductive enough for the sensor.

2 - Increase the freeze point of the fluid and helps to prevent freeze misting of the windshield.

This will not harm the system or smear on the windshield.

I have done this with years on many cars with no problem.