GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Time for A PCS, and not digging the new List

DT EXP

Chewing Gum & Kicking Azz
Car(s)
2009 TiG
So its time for my family to move on from offut AFB...

Our options are Cannon AFB, SCOTT AFB, MEADE, LACKLAND, and LANGLEY AFB's

I'm not digging any of them off the bat, has any of you lived there? (military people or just if your from there)

I hate big cities but I can deal with whatever..

Any helpfully info would rock..

thanks

patrick_irwin

Go Kart Champion
Cannon AFB- I know nothing about
SCOTT AFB- I was born there. too cold are its an interesting place to live in a bad way
MEADE
LACKLAND- Too many Mexican but there is always something to do in TX. Texas is a great place to live.
LANGLEY AFB- VA its VA that's all I can say.

just be glad you didnt get stationed at seymore johnson in goldsboro, NC. thats the last place that I moved and I hate it. see if you can change jobs and stay a few more years and hopefully next time around youll get a better selection. I am not in the Military but my mom was. so I know a few things

DT EXP

Car(s)
2009 TiG
My list right now is looking

1. Scott (we like the mid-west alot)
2. LANGLEY (ehhh)
3. LACKLAND (no state tax, but I really hate big citys)
4. Cannon (I hear its in the middle of nowhere)

residentevol

Fugitive Trucker
Car(s)
On order 09 GTI UG
I was stationed at Cannon AFB for 3 years before the mission changed it used to an F-16 fighter base now its heavies and helicopters.. It was total culture shock moving there from the DC area but after a while I kind of welcomed the slow paced quiet lifestyle. Albuqurque, NM is about 3 hours away and Lubbock and Amarillo, TX are about 1 hour away. I wouldn't put it on the top of my list and I have no desire to go back but I could deal. Langley as far as a base goes I've heard nothing good about. A lot of high ranking brass and a lot of politics going on there so I've heard it can get rough. But I would love to be close to DC w/out having to actually live there.

Good luck btw are you coming from overseas or are you just not interested? I love being in Germany you should get over here!

DT EXP

Car(s)
2009 TiG
Thanks for the Info Residentevol!

Not really interested in anymore overseas.. We have 10 month old now, and I love getting together with my parents and the in-laws as much as we can...

I would love to live in nowhere land.. but my wife is a city girl.. so I don't think we can do Cannon...

residentevol

Fugitive Trucker
Car(s)
On order 09 GTI UG
Yeah there is absolutely no city life to be had in Cannon unless you want to drive for hours every weekend. There is a wal-mart however.

What is your AFSC if you don't mind me asking?

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
Offutt eh? The old SAC HQ in my days.

Been to all of those bases in my 20yrs. Choices would depend upon your AFSC, rank and where you want to go in your career. Mid-West winters suck at Scott! AMC (MAC) blows too!

suckmyGti

please
Car(s)
08 Red Gti
im not air force but instead navy and i live about 5 miles from langley. i love the area and thats why ive requested to do multiple tours here. ive done 8 years in this area of va and loved every minute of it. if you want big city your close to dc or you can compromise and go downtown in one of the 7 close cities in the area. or if you want the boonies you can get that too. just a lil input.

josein06gli

GLI OWNER
Car(s)
VW Jetta GLI
Im from san Antonio its dope here, why don't u try I think its randolph air force base.

josein06gli

GLI OWNER
Car(s)
VW Jetta GLI
Good luck in whatever u do man.

jbrone

Passed Driver's Ed
I am not AF, but I lived in Fairborn OH where Wright Patt is located. That would be an OK place to live. Langley would be wonderful, but very expensive to live. If you are living off-base, housing is ridiculous, and DC has not seen the price slump like the rest of the nation. I have a lot of friends who liked Lackland. I don't know about Scott, but St. Louis is OK. Cannon I have never heard of, but you should live in Lubbock if you go. This from the web about Clovis (nearest town to Cannon):
"How is this a great place to raise kids? There is nothing nice about the "parks", they are full of trash and meth addicts and there are no public swimming pools... the only good thing is the little zoo in clovis. This is the worst place my 4 year old and I have ever lived. If you like civilized, polite people, do not come here with your children."