GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Time for a New Headunit

remigi

Ready to race!
Hey Guys,

So im finally back in aus after being in europe for 1.5 years and im driving my beloved GTI again. Its time to upgrade the Stereo from the original RCD (without MP3) support. I have a Mk5 GTI 2006 edition.

I remember there being a lot of discussion about the new headunits, i think they were called AVC9000 or there was something also called WD6050 i think. Or is it better to get a RNS510 (their just stupidly expensive).

I was just wondering

a) how did they turn out (what are the cons)
b) did all the bugs get fixed?
c) is it easy to install, just take the old one out and put the new one in?
d) where can i get one?

Is this one of them here (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/DVD-GPS-TV-D...m&pt=AU_Electronics_GPS&hash=item414ecd00ee)?

thanks a lot for your time!

Maverick

Go Kart Champion
I remember there being a lot of discussion about the new headunits, i think they were called AVC9000 or there was something also called WD6050 i think. Or is it better to get a RNS510 (their just stupidly expensive).

RNS 510 can be picked up for around $1000 second hand.

I was just wondering

a) how did they turn out (what are the cons)

Do a search, they're utter rubbish IMO. Endless problems and no support.

b) did all the bugs get fixed?

No but many new ones were introduced with each revision of the head units.

c) is it easy to install, just take the old one out and put the new one in?

No, the diversity antenna system doesn't work after the upgrade so one antenna has to be picked which means a big compromise in performance, there are power drain problems which resulted in flat batteries, CAN bus issues, button issues and so on and so forth.

d) where can i get one?

Plenty of people selling their old ones.

remigi

Ready to race!
Hey

Thanks for the fast reply :) In regards to the RNS510, i have a GTI Mk5 2006 with the antenna still in the rear windshield (no antenna on the roof) How do i work out what revision of the RNS i need

YouSnooze

You won't feel a thing ;)
Car(s)
2006 Mk V GTi
Any will work but better to get a newer model - i.e. a revision B or C unit. You will definitely need the CANBUS upgrade as Mav mentioned (simple DIY [esp if you're DSG]) & an antenna adapter. After those & a GPS antenna (factor in another ~$200) & you're good as gold. Easy swap of head units but you'll need VCDS to code it. It's worth it 100% - I did it on my 2006 GTI & have not regretted it for a second.

remigi

Ready to race!
Where would be the best place for me to get my hands on a RNS510 at a cheaper price, i saw the group buy for $800 but i missed out... im not DSG i have a manual... so what do u mean by it will be simple if its DSG, since i have manual what will be harder?... where can i source this antenna adapter?
How do i do this CANBUS upgrade/ whats a VCDS code?

sorry im a bit of a n00b when it comes to car and car terms..

Also i saw you have xenons, where did u get the projector houseing? im after a set too.

YouSnooze

You won't feel a thing ;)
Car(s)
2006 Mk V GTi
It's easier to change the CANBUS module on earlier model GTIs if you have DSG because the location is basically above where the clutch pedal would be. If you have a clutch pedal then you will need some sort of monkey to get to it - it's not impossible, just trickier because space is limited. Antenna adapter - see Mav's website www.my-gti.com for info [he has a wealth of info on upgrading from old headunits to new ones]. You'll likely be able to get it from EBay. VCDS=VAG-COM i.e. you need to have the new headunit 'coded' so that the car recognises it & it will work properly. Takes about 5 minutes to do if you can find someone with a VCDS. My xenons are factory........

thefullarchie

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI, BM, 3Dr, MT
Remigi,

if you're keen to organise a group buy I may be interested. Currently looking at the RCD510 to keep the price down but if an RNS was available at the right price i'd be in.

just a thought.

-Charlie

wagits

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 GTI DSG
Remigi,

if you're keen to organise a group buy I may be interested. Currently looking at the RCD510 to keep the price down but if an RNS was available at the right price i'd be in.

just a thought.

-Charlie

I'd be interested as well. Hey Remigi, good to see another Sth Aussie on the board.
I have also read that the RNS510 has voice control, cant really find much info on it on Aussie sites

warhead

Passed Driver's Ed
I'd be up for a group buy as well.
My WD6050 ( Mk I ) has a faulty GPS module I think. Been playing up for the better part of a year and I think it's finally given in. The head unit won't detect a GPS device anymore no matter how many times I reset the thing.

It's either get an RNS510 or wait for reviews on the new Dynavin.

A big swaying point for me would be a unit that actually has a decent sunlight readable screen.

buckets

Ready to race!
Did somebody say Group Buy? Count me in if it goes ahead....unless I jag one in the meantime :smile:

thefullarchie

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI, BM, 3Dr, MT
I know a few guys have purchased from Tommy: tommy.cupra(at)seznam.cz

But he's from the CR so it's a little daunting if anything were to go wrong with them. Plus, I don't think he has the LED versions, only the older LCD versions. Not sure on a local source sorry.

remigi

Ready to race!
Hey guys,

Depending on price i would def be interested in doing a group buy. Im not to good at organising that kind of stuff so maybe someone with the right contacts/more of a forum regular is better. But i would be part of it.

Thanks rem