GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

thoughts on painting my calipers/grill stripe blue?

Brad09

Ready to race!
I can't decide whether or not this would look good on my gray car. I've seen colored calipers on different cars/color schemes, but not many gray cars with blue calipers. I think that painting the grill stripe as well would would help tie it together and give the calipers something else to match. Does anyone have any pics of this color scheme on anything, preferably an mkv?

Here's some photoshop images I did of my car to give you an idea...

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Blue is what R32 MKV calipers are, if that is what you are going for. This is all about your own taste though, do whatever floats your boat.

For me it was about painting out the red moustache and the red calipers. I blacked out the red moustache and got black R calipers. Again, just personal pref.

Brad09

Ready to race!
Blue is what R32 MKV calipers are, if that is what you are going for. This is all about your own taste though, do whatever floats your boat.

For me it was about painting out the red moustache and the red calipers. I blacked out the red moustache and got black R calipers. Again, just personal pref.

Didn't know that about the r32, thanks

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
I think the blue looks good, definitely better than pull-me-over red. If you go blue, I would consider painting the black grille another color, maybe body color or anthracite.

If you do go through with this, do it right and take it to a body shop for good paint and powder coating for the calipers.

The first time I did it, I used ceramic spray paint. It was great looking for a year until the grill stripe started to fade and look dull from the sun. The calipers looked fine but there were some chips showing up here and there.

Once you do this, there's no easy way of going back. You want this to be done correctly the first time.

Last edited:

Brad09

Ready to race!
Thanks, I really like the look of the Duplicolor Metalcast Anodized Blue. It says it can be used on calipers an can withstand 500 degrees. Anyone used this stuff before?

Also, trying to decide if I want to paint my rotor hats black or silver...

Last edited:

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
I'd just paint them black, the calipers are what should attract the eye in my opinion. Project Mu has blue hats on their rotors and I'm not a fan.

As for the stripe, I found that 3M pinstripe tape works well. I tried paint but the shape of the stripe just doesn't hold it, 1/2" tape worked perfectly. I just used a hair dryer and folded the extra bits around the edge

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Centric rotors come with black powder coating, it's nice. I have painted a few grille stripes, prep is everything. Clean it, scuff it, clean again, paint as directed. It will stick.

fd2black

Karma Police
Car(s)
2008 GTI 2dr
My grille stripe is painted blue, and the grille itself was plastidipped.
Going to be taking off the front plate soon and I ordered a new grille to replace the crappy plastidip one.
I will probably paint the strip on the new grille blue too.
It's nice seeing a different color there when all the MKV's in my area have the red stipe