GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The ULTIMATE Workout Thread

xGaspy

Go Kart Champion
Took a day off yesterday. I hate taking days off. So much wasted potential. Do you guys think they are neccesary? Im assuming they are.

Yup, you absolutely need to rest. Otherwise you'll just end up damaging yourself. You're human remember, not a robot. Beat the body down and heal it back up. Repeat.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
Took a day off yesterday. I hate taking days off. So much wasted potential. Do you guys think they are neccesary? Im assuming they are.

Depends on your goals. I am exercising primarily to burn fat, not grow muscles so I try to exercise every day because total calories burned is higher that way. If you want to grow muscles, though, you will need recovery days.

hvltg

Ready to race!

if you hate taking days off, don't do it... your body will tell you when you need to rest.

i feel the same way as far as wasted potential.

on my what i call "days off" i always try to do some cardio, abs or calves.

it feels pretty awesome when you get done too, knowing that it was your day off and you still did someting...
but to ech is own, i look at working out no different then brushing my teeth everday. it's just part of my routine.

balius

Go Kart Champion
What's FST-7? I googled it, but only found an excerpt on it that wasn't very descriptive.

the FST stands for Fascia Stretch Training. The theory is to pump your deep muscle fascia full of blood in order to stretch it and promote growth. It goes deeper than that, but that's the theory in a super basic nutshell. The training part of it involves hitting 7 sets of 8-12 reps with super short breaks between sets. You do this with a muscle part after its already been hit in your normal workout. Your goal is to hit 12 reps on each set, but at a minimum stay above 8. When you get to the point where you're only able to hit 8 reps, you drop the weight a bit for your next set. Between sets you take 30-45 seconds rest, and during that time you're flexing the muscle you're working and sipping on water. You get a great pump from it and it always leaves me sore for a few days. Simplyshredded.com has a good write up on it if you search there.

xGaspy

Go Kart Champion
the FST stands for Fascia Stretch Training. The theory is to pump your deep muscle fascia full of blood in order to stretch it and promote growth. It goes deeper than that, but that's the theory in a super basic nutshell. The training part of it involves hitting 7 sets of 8-12 reps with super short breaks between sets. You do this with a muscle part after its already been hit in your normal workout. Your goal is to hit 12 reps on each set, but at a minimum stay above 8. When you get to the point where you're only able to hit 8 reps, you drop the weight a bit for your next set. Between sets you take 30-45 seconds rest, and during that time you're flexing the muscle you're working and sipping on water. You get a great pump from it and it always leaves me sore for a few days. Simplyshredded.com has a good write up on it if you search there.

How often do you do the FST-7?

Jaxper

Go Kart Champion

Cool, thanks! I may delve into this a bit more then!

balius

Go Kart Champion
I do one exercise for it each day I lift, and two on my chest/tri day. My first leg day I hit seated hamstring curls with it, first back/bi day I hit lat pullovers, shoulders I hit machine lateral raises, second leg day I hit quad extensions, second back/bi day is machine preacher curls, then on chest/tri day I do it at the end of chest with machine flyes then at the end of triceps with a DB overhead extension.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Just did:
6mins rowing 8/10ths pace
6mins biking, 1.85miles, approx 18mph speed

Tri arm pull downs - 3 sets of 30, 60lbs
Ab crunches with the machine on the floor - 3 sets of 30, 80lbs (70lbs on the last set)
8lb medicine ball for abs - the side to side dealie while sitting on the floor... ouch

Then ran 1.5miles continously in about 15mins, then a 3min cool down. I feel GREAT.

mikeydubs

Ready to race!

Days off don't have to mean sitting around not being active. Active recovery is much better for you in terms of how quickly your body heals and recovers.

Go for a bike ride or a swim, play soccer or tennis, anything that gets your blood flowing. This helps deliver nutrients around your body and helps keep the muscles loose.

Sent from my Galaxy S2X

reelknead1

Go Kart Champion
Not really a work out routine so to speak but I've been trying to do a couple things to stay in shape. I graduated college last spring and went to work full time a large firm. Hours are crazy sometimes and its hard to find time to work out let alone sleep.

I found P90x to be great for doing a short Yoga section to stretch out my back and legs and also ab workout. In addition I do push ups and dips when I can. I haven't visually changed sitting at a desk all day but i have a feeling eating lunch and dinner sitting at my desk is eventually going to catch up to me.

Any other helpful tips to stay in shape while work crash hours during busy seasons?

mikeydubs

Ready to race!
Not really a work out routine so to speak but I've been trying to do a couple things to stay in shape. I graduated college last spring and went to work full time a large firm. Hours are crazy sometimes and its hard to find time to work out let alone sleep.

I found P90x to be great for doing a short Yoga section to stretch out my back and legs and also ab workout. In addition I do push ups and dips when I can. I haven't visually changed sitting at a desk all day but i have a feeling eating lunch and dinner sitting at my desk is eventually going to catch up to me.

Any other helpful tips to stay in shape while work crash hours during busy seasons?

If you can't find time to go to the gym, you will have to put an even larger emphasis on proper nutrition. Like you said, it will catch up to you.

Take the stairs, bike or walk to work if possible, walk to lunch if you go out.

Sent from my Galaxy S2X

balius

Go Kart Champion
Even just little stuff like getting down on the floor every hour an hitting out a few pushups and situs will help out. When I used to have an actual office at work I would do that all the time.

livefast

Ready to race!
Good information on the off days! I'm active pretty much everyday even when I don't work out, and I'm working out to gain mass right now. I do chest/shoulder/tricep, back/bicep, and then legs. Sometimes I just go 2 weeks without an off day and feel like I can keep going, but I feel that what you guys are saying is right. I'm just going to stick to one off-day a week.

KurtP1

Go Kart Champion
Days off don't have to mean sitting around not being active. Active recovery is much better for you in terms of how quickly your body heals and recovers.

Go for a bike ride or a swim, play soccer or tennis, anything that gets your blood flowing. This helps deliver nutrients around your body and helps keep the muscles loose.

Sent from my Galaxy S2X

Bingo. I use my off days to stretch and foam roll, sometimes ill do a couple light 2 mile walks or a very light jog.

Jaxper

Go Kart Champion

Hartford, CT, eh? :thumbsup:
I'm right down 91 in Rocky Hill but I started working in Hartford at the beginning of the summer. Are you working in Hartford too or do you only live there?

If you can't find time to go to the gym, you will have to put an even larger emphasis on proper nutrition. Like you said, it will catch up to you.

Take the stairs, bike or walk to work if possible, walk to lunch if you go out.

Sent from my Galaxy S2X

mikeydubs covered it pretty well. If possible, just go to a different location while you're eating, even if it's just around the corner from your desk. Staying at your desk and working while eating isn't the healthiest option.