GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Ultimate "Driver's" Road Trip

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Highest premium price I've ever seen was like $5.50, what the hell. Where was that gas station?? And how does your gas door break?? It requires almost no force to swing open.

In-N-Out burgers are great. Animal Style is great. Their fries taste like Yu-Gi-Oh cards. The times I've come up to an In-N-Out and the drive-thru was hopelessly full -- spilling into the actual street -- I just walked in and there'd be hardly anyone inside.
That's not even premium! 91!

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
It's a lot. I'm gonna need to start making better financial choices.
Ahem. [cough, cough] 😜 LOL. Good idea!

But holy jesus-h-f'ing christ, $7.39 a gallon? For friggin' 91??? I know Cali is crazy on some stuff, but, gawwdd......
Cali people. Earthquakes, fires, and now this. Y'all must be insane.

Anyway, I filled my GTI up today too, 93 octane, Shell, $2.35/gal :giggle: :giggle: There ARE certain ''ripoff'' zones for gas prices. If I go out toward the airport, it's $4+ a gallon. Downtown Miami is even more, nearly 5 bucks. I love driving that PCH but it's probably a 'ripoff' zone, they know they've got you by the short hairs way out there.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Check out an app called gasbuddy

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
Check out an app called gasbuddy
Unfortunately I had no reception whatsoever. Even if it has offline maid I'm not sure I'd have had the foresight to check.
That said, I just downloaded it and it's pretty nifty. I was hoping it would have a distinction between 91 and 93 Octane, but it's just labeled as premium ☹️

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Unfortunately I had no reception whatsoever. Even if it has offline maid I'm not sure I'd have had the foresight to check.
That said, I just downloaded it and it's pretty nifty. I was hoping it would have a distinction between 91 and 93 Octane, but it's just labeled as premium ☹
Def. A shortfall.

Used to use it a ton because of my commute. Now I live near the cheapest gas around and seldom refuel away from there.

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
Day 21: Misadventures 2: Electric Boogaloo
IMG_20200606_192443.jpg

I wanted to get some miles down, so I set off pretty early.
Drive for a while and would up on some California route called 299. It was a completely random road, but damn it turned fun - and beautiful - fast.
Something I just remembered now is on a couple of these long right hand corners where I was just cruising rather than driving hard, I felt the XDS bite my left brakes ever so slightly. Now, that confused me a bit, because I don't know why XDS would be biting the outside corner and not the inside, but also I was going a steady speed with no steering angle adjustments. It wasn't enough to alter my angle, though. I would've thought nothing of it didn't happen twice. I'm going to turn off XDS and see what my performance difference is. If there's none, I'm going to keep it off. I don't want my brakes randomly engaging on slow corners, even slightly.
After 299 I reached California 1 again, just before the redwoods. At this point, I picked up a Porsche on my tail, but they didn't seem to be driving fast. Took some nice pics, drove some cool roads
Remember that Porsche from earlier? Well apparently they wanted to go fast now. We bombed around the forest roads together. Played around until I got to my gas station, then they left me.
That is until I caught up with them because traffic was dead stopped. For 6 hours we were unable to progress. Why not just turn around, you say? Simple: a mile before the obstruction was a one-lane road under construction that was now packed solid.
At least we were suck in the redwoods, though I had nearly no reception, just enough to get a text every so often.
Little while into the stop we find out there was a car chase that ended in a wreck and the man is now threatening to kill himself. They don't want to let anyone pass for fear of casualties.
Anyway, I'm bored so I start unpacking my car. I cleaned, I cooked hot dogs, I jacked up my car and fixed the hanging o2 sensor wires. We had to rearrange cars a couple times. Eventually I went looking for the Porsche and sure as shit found them, also stuck. They recognized me and we talked for bit.
(Pic up top)
They were surprised by how my car could keep up (they pulled on me on the straights, and they could've in the corners, too, if they were more experienced with driving it). Learned it was the driver's mom's new-used 2016 Porsche Carrera GTS she bought a week ago, they were driving it up from somewhere for her ("oh god if I must" they told me laughing). The passenger owns a stock STI, and previously had a 2001 BMW 540i (I'm pretty sure I got those numbers right, I know it was an '01 5 series). Driver didn't mention what he's driving. We shot the shit, hung out for awhile.
Eventually I found this huge fallen tree off to the side. We knew we'd be there for a few more hours so I decided to start smoking 🤷🏼‍♂️ worst case I'll pull my car off to a pull off on the road (I don't drive under any influence, ever. Very strict about that. I do enough stupid shit sober). Anyway, the tree goes out over this hill for about 50 feet, straight into this jungle-like forest. I bring a towel (everything is damp from rain and general moisture), a book, and my headphones and lay at the end reading in total serenity.
Something those close to me know, I have this inane internal clock that really doesn't make sense. I wrapped up reading, gathered my belongings, and balance-beamed my way back to the road, where cars were being turned around starting from the ones at the back. By the time I was in my car with it turned on, my turn was next 🤷🏼‍♂️
I headed back far enough to get some service, found a rest area backtracking an hour, and stopped for the night.
363 miles, not all of which were progress
Screenshot_20200607-093341.png