GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Dumbest Thing You've Ever Done To Injure Yourself While Wrenching

Bad hare

Ex-mkv owner

07DSG

Ready to race!
Changing my fuel filter last year, when it came off a jet of fuel squirted all over the back of my head. I should've showered but just went to sleep later that night with gas getting all over my pillow. Woke up the next day and felt completely dazed, which lasted over a week.

GodSquadMandrake

Radioactive Rotary Rocket
cut/pinched my finger off

Ok now that I've seen this like 4 times now I have to ask... what's the story and rule #1.
The longer this thread goes the more I think it should be a sticky as ways to avoid hurting yourself.

f_399

07 GTI and 06 Passat
air ride + remote control = no bueno

i was working on a rear bag and my key (with the air ride remote) was in my pocket. when i leaned forward the button on the remote was pressed inside my pocket and it inflated the bag.

my whole hand could have been crushed but i was able to pull it out but the top portion of my middle finger(half the nail area) got caught

Angel@forge

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
06 A3 sport
I've had my fair share of stupid injuries while wrenching.

I was removing the exhaust on my supra in preparation for going single turbo. Had all but two hangers at the rear free and the system was all unbolted, as soon as I freed one of the two remaining hangers the exhaust rotated 180 degrees slicing my left wrist open in much the same way that you'd look to do if you were trying to off yourself. I barely made it inside the house before I started feeling very lightheaded from blood loss. Removed my shirt to use as a tourniquet and got a ride to the er.

I also removed the tranny from the same supra by myself on my back. No huge deal, just lowered it down onto my chest/stomach once I backed the input shaft out enough for it to disengage and fall free. Only problem, I didn't raise the car enough to get it off of me. So I'm trapped under the trans in the tunnel, could not put it to the side or work my way out from under it so after wrestling with it in vain I had to lift it back up and basically bolt it back in place, get out lift the car higher on the stands and do over. The getrag trans in the supra is beefy and quite heavy so it's a bit of a fight. No injury but a pain in the ass.

Another non injury. Spent three days getting my supra back together after switching the greedy t78 out for a pte 74mm, bigger cams and some port work along with a fresh oem shortblock. Basically three days of little sleep getting ready to take a drive from fl to tx for one of the annual meets. The night I dropped the motor back in and loaded up the base map I had written the car fired right off only to come to a screeching halt within 30-45 seconds. Looked around and didn't see anything strange so I started it again, same thing but happened faster this time. Looked at the cam gears and noticed one had slipped, figured that was the cause, readjusted, started and same thing. Pull the valve cover off and find the 10mm socket I had been using just chilling between the cam and the head. It had ground tons of material away from the cam and basically just acted as a wedge, stopping the cam from spinning. I knew that the shavings had gone through everything at this point but with only 4 hours to go before we had to leave I had to try and make it. I changed the oil, strapped it onto the dyno, saw 900 whp and loaded it up to leave. Had 3 blowouts before getting out of fl, necessitating using the supra at one point to go pick up tires for the truck. Ran all over the panhandle securing those, reloaded car and made it to Houston. Pulled the car off the trailer to make tech and it started knocking before I could drive it 100 yards. All the bearings had failed, but they waited until I had driven all the way there to let me know. Car had previously went 10.2 with 666 whp so I had high hopes for what it would do with nearly 250 more and the 10.20 would have been competitive that day as it turned out.

Knowing what I know now I'm sure I could have used my dick in the tranny situation but I'm not sure about the other two.

Angel@forge

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
06 A3 sport
Damn Angel. The 10mm socket thing hurts worse than anything I have done to myself physically. :mad0259:

Yeah man, cost me thousands plus all the time and stress. Never put the car back together after that. I sold it while I was in the bahamas working on a shitty movie to a shop in tampa that put it back together and resold it.

I would like another though, it was my dream car since 93. Still fancy 'em.

FaLLeNAn9eL

JESUS HATES FLAT TIRE
Knowing what I know now I'm sure I could have used my dick in the tranny situation but I'm not sure about the other two.

For the first scenario, you could've easily used it as a sword to block/deflect the swinging exhaust. :slice: