GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Car Gods must be MAD

Sinjin

Rally Car Newbie
at me. This weekend I spent about two hours cleaning the inside and outside of the car and today this happened-

just crusing on a backcountry road and smack a rock hits my windshield. I must have done something very very wrong.

erick.s

Autocross Champion
I just got caught in a hailstorm today. Dings all over the place.

alf

Modwhoreator
Car(s)
2006 TR GTI
been there done that, prepare to wait weeks for a new windshield.

i waited a week and a half, i had to redflag mine from germany. this was back in march though.

alf

EDIT: heres mine, it was unrepairable:

alf

Modwhoreator
Car(s)
2006 TR GTI
Sinjin said:
Ouch Alf. What did they bang you for? Dollars that is.
well long story short...

i was told that the windshield would be 220 dollars, but when the glass guy showed up it was an MkIV windhshield. then he searched all over the U.S. to all dealers and NONE in the united states.

so he redflagged it from germany costing him about 650 bux. he felt so bad though that he didnt charge me because he had to make me wait about a week and a half.

so he just charged me the 220 bux that was the original quote.

alf

yours look repairable, i hope there isnt any spreadage, like the spider web affect.

redGTI

Axis Motoring
Car(s)
02 & 08 GTI, 08 M3
In Florida, windshield damage is covered for free by your insurance company, $0 deductible. :thumbup:

Ram_Kev

Derbyshires Finest!
VdaWg said:
How do you actually repair car glass?

Here in the EU, if the crack is fairly clean or the Chip is not in the direct line of sight of the driver then Windshields are repaired by injecting clear resin into the crack. This bonds the crack or fills in the chip and provides acceptable, although not perfect vision.

Never forget that your windscreen is a structural part of the car. Go with OEM replacements never third party.

MachSchnell

Rally Car Champion
I have Geico insurance, for an extra $50 per year they fix or replace windshields at no extra charge.

I had two windshields in my old MkIV fixed without leaving my office, they came here and worked on the car while I sipped coffee and watched them through the window:w00t:

alf

Modwhoreator
Car(s)
2006 TR GTI
if the windshield is NON-VW, but it doesn't matter. VW doesn't make glass anyway, it's outsourced to PPG. VW puts their stamp on it and sells it for double.

PPG is definantly the way to go.

BMWDavid

Drag Racing Champion
Wow! That sucks big time. I've been there also. Got a large rock thrown up on windshield and the other day got another large rock thrown onto the drivers side quarter panel above tire well opening.

Never had anything like this but my VW must be some sort of magnet. Makes me want to stay at home.

David