GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Suzuki GS550 resto-mod project

eurocars

5/17/15 - Never forget
Car(s)
2006 GTI
day 4:

started tearing down the engine. after being stuck together for 32 years, it did not want to come apart easily. also disassembled some more pieces for powdercoating. im trying to have it all done at one time because its cheaper/much less of a hassle to try and have more things coated. carbon build-up wasn't too bad at all, but oxidation has definitely taken its toll on the studs and bolts holding it all together. the cams looked good and showed minor wear under the caps. tomorrow will be looking for a valve spring compressor to fully disassemble the head, removing the pistons/rods and maybe the crank (involves splitting the entire case = long/big job). here she is after today...

Attachments

• P4190103.jpg
    P4190103.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 3,025
  • P4190110.jpg
    P4190110.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 3,240
  • P4190115.jpg
    P4190115.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 3,163
  • P4190116.jpg
    P4190116.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 3,100
  • P4190109.jpg
    P4190109.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 3,108

Simmsled

Parking Garage > Tree
Car(s)
its not special.
Sweeeeeeet. My 2 cents... The rear swingarm from GSXR will be a HUGE pita and take away from the resto-mod look. I would consider a pair of Penske shocks out back with some new springs WAY before I would try a GSXR swingarm. Otherwise, it may not be so retro.

Nice project!

eurocars

5/17/15 - Never forget
Car(s)
2006 GTI
Sweeeeeeet. My 2 cents... The rear swingarm from GSXR will be a HUGE pita and take away from the resto-mod look. I would consider a pair of Penske shocks out back with some new springs WAY before I would try a GSXR swingarm. Otherwise, it may not be so retro.

Nice project!

after looking into it, that sounds like a great idea. i may have to re-fab the stockers back before i invest into penske's. maybe i'll go for progressive suspensions coils (~ $50). looked up pricing on penske's and all i have to say is daaaaaammmn. i bet you get what you pay for though..... im still planning on the gsxr front end atleast, as it's a bolt-in sway minus the bearings which i will have to have custom fabbed to accept the head.

Last edited:

eurocars

5/17/15 - Never forget
Car(s)
2006 GTI
not much accomplished today, lots of work to do besides this project. pulled the valves from the head. i didnt have a valve spring compresson, but a socket and hammer work just as well. i also pulled the exhaust studs. the only thing left on the head are the valve guides/seals but that is for another day. tomorrow im polishing the fork tubes...

Attachments

• P4230134.JPG
    P4230134.JPG
    163.7 KB · Views: 1,631
  • P4230135.JPG
    P4230135.JPG
    168.2 KB · Views: 1,667
  • P4230136.JPG
    P4230136.JPG
    173.8 KB · Views: 1,707

eurocars

5/17/15 - Never forget
Car(s)
2006 GTI
so the project stalled out for a while, but im finally back on track. i decided to move ahead with a gs650 head/cylinder conversion. im going to have it bored out 1mm to turn my once 550 into a 700cc motor. i will have to rebore the case to accept the new cylinder jug but imo, it will be well worth it. cylinder and head were ordered today. got them both on ebay for 120 shipped (even came with a set of pistons, but i cant use them :( ) im still looking for gs650 carbs as the 550's carbs wont flow enough for what i plan to do. also, im thinking about ordering a set of headers with no chrome plating and having them nickel plated instead. thoughts???

Angel@forge

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
06 A3 sport
All that sounds great.... but I'd go black on the pipes. Nickel would look better than chrome for sure though.

so the project stalled out for a while, but im finally back on track. i decided to move ahead with a gs650 head/cylinder conversion. im going to have it bored out 1mm to turn my once 550 into a 700cc motor. i will have to rebore the case to accept the new cylinder jug but imo, it will be well worth it. cylinder and head were ordered today. got them both on ebay for 120 shipped (even came with a set of pistons, but i cant use them :( ) im still looking for gs650 carbs as the 550's carbs wont flow enough for what i plan to do. also, im thinking about ordering a set of headers with no chrome plating and having them nickel plated instead. thoughts???

Silver-Bolt

Ready to race!
Have the header Jet Coated. Nickel or chrome will look horrible within a few miles.

You might be surprised how well that seat pan will clean up. Bead blast it.

DavisELK

Ready to race!
Car(s)
06 GTI
man, i love those GS'...

my dad fully restored a GS1100, bored it out, full fenders, fully chrome engine and everything. Rebuilt carbs and a badass custom paintjob...

looking for pics, maybe it can give ya some ideas.