GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sunroof opening by itself

langer

i fix teefs
I have a 2008 MkV Golf Estate. My wife and I went to the supermarket two days ago, and came back to find our sunroof open! The car had been locked - ignition clearly off. The car wouldn't respond to the switch, and is currently at my local dealership as it was about to rain. The dealer told me they'd never heard of this happening before. Anyone else had this manifestation of the sunroof problem?

Mine never did it while ignition was off. My dealer replaced the sunroof switch under warranty and I haven't had the problem since. I got 99 other electrical problems, but a sunroof ain't one.

freshpots

r'zub n t'zug
Car(s)
'22 GTI, '19 GT350R
I got 99 other electrical problems, but a sunroof ain't one.

I had to :biggrin:

It got worse! The dealer tried to wind it back manually, but it wouldn't go. They've just quoted me £1300 for a new sunroof, as the frame has bent! Gonna sell this reliable bit of engineering, and replace it with a Kia......or a Hyundai!!

GTI lover all over again

Over fifty and lov'n it!
Car(s)
2007 GTI
It has happened to me a few times, I find the sunroof tracks get dirty, there is a pressure limit sensor to keep from pinching fingers in the sunroof that will trigger, I open the roof all the way open, and clean the tracks.

thechromecoyote

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE
It's also caused by an aging switch. The contacts don't make a clean disconnect and will read as though you asked for the roof to open. Replacing the switch is the first step of diagnosing this odd but common issue.