GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sun Visor stuck

Silver89

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey guys,

Just got my new (but used .. new new if I wasnt a broke student :p) MK5 Golf, love it but there's a few small things that need fixing.

One of which is the drivers sun visor, when you pull it out it slides along but it has got stuck so can now only go 10% out to 100% out, the small 10% where it won't slide means it's impossible to clip it in and hangs down.

I tried taking that little screw out and have a fiddle around with it but not sure how to unplug the wire?

If no solution I'll have to look out for one being sold somewhere, is there a way to detach the light wire or can it just be cut and rejoined to the one?

Thanks!

josein06gli

GLI OWNER
Car(s)
VW Jetta GLI
dont cut wires on your car man.

FNR32

Ready to race!
LOL @ cutting a wire on a Volkswagen. Welcome to the VW community and please heed the above advice and take it to the dealer. Last thing you want to do is cut a connection in a VW.

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
sun visor removal and caveats

I tried taking that little screw out and have a fiddle around with it but not sure how to unplug the wire?...

The plug is behind the headliner, gently pull on the harness until it emerges.
It is very easy to damage the harness,
I will copy all of VWs instructions and warnings below.
Clip something to hold the harness before disconnecting the visor
so the harness does not disappear behind the headliner again.
---
You may have made a new problem removing the visor mounting screw.
VW has issued a TSB on the topic.
The visors are mounted to the headliner before the headliner is mounted in the car.
When the headliner is mounted in the car, the clips holding the grab handles and visor screws may become distorted.
When you removed that screw, if that clip moves as a result of the distortion, replacing that screw could become impossible.
When this happens, VW recomends droping the whole headliner, replace any distorted clips, and re-install.
Hope you don't have to go through that.

Bentley a5g service manual said:

Using a small screwdriver, open cover caps - 1 - and - 2 - .

Remove bolts - 3 - and - 4 - (2 Nm).

Carefully pull sun visor mount - 1 - out of mount.

CAUTION!
Hold sun visor securely. Allowing sun visor to hang by wiring harness is not permitted!

Grasp sun visor wiring harness - 1 - with thumb and forefinger as shown in area by molded headliner opening.

CAUTION!
When removing connector from retaining clips as follows, it is possible that the wiring harness may be damaged. This is the case if the connector is removed from the retaining clip with a jerking motion. For this reason, remove it extremely carefully with one hand on wiring harness while supporting the hand with the ball of the hand on the vehicle. This allows the pulling force on the wiring harness to be measured out better, thus avoiding rough removal of the connector.

Hold onto roof grab handle firmly, then pull lightly on wiring harness in direction of windshield until connector comes out of retaining clip in molded headliner.

Carefully pull connector - 1 - out through opening in molded headliner, pulling out just far enough until connector is located closely beneath molded headliner.

CAUTION!
Do not pull harness connector further, since the excess length of flat wire - 2 - is limited and there is a hazard it will shear off.
Flat wire must only be pulled a maximum of 1 cm out of opening in molded headliner.

Carefully disconnect connector without pulling on flat wire.

Installing

Note:
Slide a small foam pipe (part number 535.971.790) over harness connector when installing sun visor.

Installation is performed in the reverse order of removal.

Silver89

Passed Driver's Ed
When you removed that screw, if that clip moves as a result of the distortion, replacing that screw could become impossible.
When this happens, VW recomends droping the whole headliner, replace any distorted clips, and re-install.

I'm pretty sure that clip has vanished behind the headliner and the screw no longer screws, does anyone have information on removing part of the headliner and how tricky is it to do this?

Might have to look for a bodge method to hold the clip in if it's that bad :\

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
I'm pretty sure that clip has vanished behind the headliner and the screw no longer screws, does anyone have information on removing part of the headliner and how tricky is it to do this?

Might have to look for a bodge method to hold the clip in if it's that bad :\
Headliner is one piece, you have to pull the whole thing.
Once you are past removing the trim - A-B-C pillars both sides, trailing edge trim, roof console, rear dome fixture, etc.
it is not so hard to do if you are cautious with the wiring up there.
Wouldn't start such a task without a supply of the VW 1K0 867 633 headliner clips in hand.
OEM part number: 1K0-867-633 / 1K0867633

I can send you a pdf of the VW TSB 2007.02.14 - 'Headliner, grab handle, sunvisor installation tips'
if you provide an email address via PM.

Silver89

Passed Driver's Ed
I've only just got round to doing this as I'd been way too busy with exams etc ..

Basically the bracket thing is in the right place but the screw just slides through and doesn't screw into anything? Does that mean the bracket needs replacing or is there a bolt that I've lost that goes at the top?

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
I've only just got round to doing this as I'd been way too busy with exams etc ..

Basically the bracket thing is in the right place but the screw just slides through and doesn't screw into anything? Does that mean the bracket needs replacing or is there a bolt that I've lost that goes at the top?
The bracket includes a plate that is threaded to accept the screw.
i.e. it is not a standard nut, it is piece unique to the bracket.
Once the bracket is distorted, the threaded plate can slide out.
A new bracket is only $2 BTW

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
Okay thanks, what's the best place to get them sent to the UK from? Tried one shop earlier but they quoted me $150 shipping ..
You should be able to get them from any VW dealer.