GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stripped PVC screw hole BSH stage 1

james.bigouette

Officially boring
I have been debating on telling this story all weekend but now i believe i have caused a boost leak in my PVC system by being a jackass.

I bought the BSH stage one PVC remap and love it. I put it on originally but found a small gap on the left side of the plate (the side away from the tube) So to check my work i took everything apart being as careful as i could in the tight area and when putting it all back together i was on the last screw (the screw hole i stripped) and it is just spinning freely and i cannot get a proper seal on the remap. The car still works fine there is just a degrade in performance shown by a couple VAG logs.

My question is. How in the hell can i fix this so my plate will actually seal correctly? Is there a product out there that i can just squirt in there and let it dry overnight and then just re-screw a new hole? Any BSH help out there for an idiot like me? Thanks guys.

:iono:

ssunnylee24

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 CW DSG GTI
If you want it done right, you need to find a new/used valve cover.
I stripped mine and tried JB weld, tooth pick method, and etc.
Nothing worked the way I wanted it, so I bought a used valve cover from Pitbull and a new valve cover gasket from a dealership and installed it with a friend of mine.
Works like new now.

I have this gap too. Does anyone's plate sit flush? I have depated using high temp some silicone on this plate to fill the gap. On mine I can actually see the orange rubber gasket a little bit through the gap. I have the screw as tight as it will go without stripping out too.

BTW, the strongest crap around to fill holes for this type of thing is epoxy. Same sh!t that holds the fibers together in carbon fiber. It's hard as a friggin rock. I actually think JB weld is a type of epoxy though.

BTW this gap is not caused by BSH's plate, it's a result of VW's lame flexy plastic valve cover.

ssunnylee24

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 CW DSG GTI
Yeah, one on the far left when facing the car.
It's because you tighten too much, you gotta remember you are tightening it on the plastic valve cover so can't over tighten it.
I learned my lesson, even though I still over tighten shit.

I donno how bad yours is but try JB weld.
stuff the JB weld in the hole let it sit of about an hr than tap a hole with a smaller screw than the actual screw that goes in to the hole then let it sit for about 12 hrs than tap a hole a little more, then wait 12 more hrs to screw the actual screw in.
That almost worked for me but I wanted to be perfect, so I got a new valve cover.
It's not hard to swap the valve cover so, it's totally up to you.
I have this gap too. Does anyone's plate sit flush? I can actually see the orange rubber gasket a little bit through the gap. I have the screw as tight as it will go without stripping out.

BTW, the strongest crap around to fill holes for this type of thing is epoxy. Same sh!t that holds the fibers together in carbon fiber. It's hard as a friggin rock. I actually think JB weld is a type of epoxy though.

Epoxy is good too, try that.
I can barely see the orange gasket but hey, that's what the gasket is for.
I don't want to strip that thing again....

Just had an idea (related to the gap)... when you install a gas appliances you normally mix up some soapy water and spray it onto an area to see if it leaks (bubbles up). Well I though I should try this on that area to see if it's getting a good seal.

Well I can basically tell you for certain that this plate seals like sh!t. I sprayed some water on there and the engine sucked it straight into the gap instantly.

I'd encourage everyone else with a gap to do the same. We need a viable solution for this. Our engines are probably all sucking air straight in through this little gap all day long.

Last edited:

ssunnylee24

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 CW DSG GTI
Just had an idea (related to the gap)... when you install a gas appliances you normally mix up some soapy water and spray it onto an area to see if it leaks (bubbles up). Well I though I should try this on that area to see if it's getting a good seal.

Well I can basically tell you for certain that this plate seals like sh!t. I sprayed some water on there and the engine sucked it straight into the gap instantly.

I'd encourage everyone else with a gap to do the same. We need a viable solution for this. Our engines are probably all sucking air straight in through this little gap all day long.

Perhaps this is causing the boost leak I'm having?
:paddle:

edit- Just checked mine and the orange gasket is not visible. I don't think I'm leaking anything there.

Last edited:

dustinwark

Miesian
Car(s)
'07 VW GTI
BTW it's PCV not PVC; Positive Crankcase Ventilation

shortwave360

dub junkie
Car(s)
'08 GTi 6MT
How is that cover? I wish bsh would make one. That way itd work with my catchtank. Id jump all over it if they did. Nice wrinkle red with some machined areas.

I haven't installed it yet... My motor is torn apart atm and I am still needing to polish the cover and can lid before I install. I cannot comment on anything else.

The VC is amazing however to see, and feels impressive in your hands with a very smooth surface. It is perfect, the filler cap being centered looks hawt and it threads together so smoothly! I was very impressed. I didn't have a OC can, so the package was quite a savings on the two parts together.

Sell your BSH and buy the package if you think you might be in the market for it. You might lose a bill +, but thats the car game!