GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stock Navi Unit in GTI?QUESTIONS!!

Dejan33

Passed Driver's Ed
I am looking at purchasing a 2006-2007 GTI but as you all know the Navi was not available in Canada on the GTI so I was considering getting one off of ebay or something along those lines and having it installed, what kind of work is involved with that? Any extra adaptors needed? More importantly how is the the Head Unit, when it comes to EQ settings, the GPS portion itself, etc.

I know that an after market Navi Unit may be better but I want the fit and finish of a stock unit...its the reason why I am interested in this specific unit.

Thanks for the input :)

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
retrofitting factory nav

I am looking at purchasing a 2006-2007 GTI but as you all know the Navi was not available in Canada on the GTI so I was considering getting one off of ebay or something along those lines and having it installed, what kind of work is involved with that? Any extra adaptors needed? More importantly how is the the Head Unit, when it comes to EQ settings, the GPS portion itself, etc.

I know that an after market Navi Unit may be better but I want the fit and finish of a stock unit...its the reason why I am interested in this specific unit.

Thanks for the input :)
You will need to add a GPS antenna, although most people retrofitting them put the antenna inside the dash near the HU. Mostly plug and play. If you have an aux, you will need to remove two pins and move them to different location on the existing connectors. The compass module should be disconnected, as the nav provides compass function and the two will conflict. Some simple VAG-COM tweaks and your good to go.

Audio quality is roughly equivalent to the standard HU. Will work with or without the optional amp under the drivers seat. GPS function is acceptable. The 2006/2007 US option nav was the MFD2 DVD. 2006 got black buttons like the one below, later years the buttons were changed to a silver finish.

In 2009 they switched to the RNS-510. The two vary as it relates to sat radio, but either can be made to fit.