GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Squeaking noise

.:R32D2

Big Brown Truck Driver
Car(s)
MKV R32
Edit: May 2 2013
I started this post or March 15, the problem has yet to be resolved but at least actions are being taken and hopefully it's figured out soon. Many of you on here have talked about a noise but it sounds different and its only on cold starts. Mine is opposite, only when driven for a while and everything gets hot. This can be used as a reference for R32 owners that experience the same issue.

March 15 2013:
I've noticed that when parked and idling my car makes this sound, it doesn't always happen but it's more often than not. This same sound happens on random occasions for that quick second when the engine starts up. Seems to be one of the belts but I can't know for sure unless I take it for diagnosis, thought I'd ask here first.

http://youtu.be/LWIbk9JVoPQ

Last edited:

Big Brown Truck Driver
Car(s)
MKV R32
Ah, it happened again.

TSiUG

sleeper...
Definitely something isnt right, lol. I say take it to the dealer, or a reputable VAG shop.

Big Brown Truck Driver
Car(s)
MKV R32
Definitely something isnt right, lol. I say take it to the dealer, or a reputable VAG shop.

When I took it in for regular maintenance I told them about it but the car wouldn't make the sound, lol. Hopefully now that I got it on camera they can figure it out.

tampa_mk5

zungguzungguguzungguzeng
Car(s)
I have been monitoring a squeak that I believe is the beginnings of my belt tensioner, check out the second and third videos in the OP's initial post:

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71397

Does it sound similar? I know- different engines, but knowing VAG probably a good chance it is the same part. G/L!

Big Brown Truck Driver
Car(s)
MKV R32
Oh man, yes! That's the exact same sound, thank you for that. I'm gonna go to the dealership with my video and that post, hah. Thank you.

Big Brown Truck Driver
Car(s)
MKV R32
Typical dealership conversation, I call to set up an appointment:

Me: There's a squeaking noise coming out of my engine bay, It's happening more than it used to but it still doesn't always happen, I caught some video of it to maybe help you figure out what it could be if it's not making it when I show up.

VW: Well unless we can hear the sound in person, a video won't help us diagnose the sound. Maybe you want to wait till it's ALWAYS making the sound.

Me: From asking around I may have narrowed it down to a belt tensionor, bearing, or timing belt cover. If it's something serious I don't want to wait around for something to really go wrong.

VW:Ok, bring it in.

Though I do understand them not being able to professionally diagnose a sound from a video, I hate that he's telling me to wait till it gets worse.

Big Brown Truck Driver
Car(s)
MKV R32
Well, I followed the last thread (linked by tampa_MK5) I have recently replaced my belt tensioner and it continues to make the noise so it's not that. It's hard to tell because everyone on that other thread having the same issues have different engines. Their sounds are similar but seem to happen on cold starts, mine is the opposite.

Any further suggestions?

BAMF

Ready to race!
Just a shot in the dark here, but besides the accessory belt tensioner there is also a timing belt tensioner and two idler rollers on the timing belt. I've also got an intermittent squeak developing on mine, I'm doing the timing belt soon and replacing the tensioner and rollers, hopefully that gets rid of it.

EDIT: Just realized that you have an R32. I don't know if the 3.2 has a timing belt or chain.

freshpots

r'zub n t'zug
Car(s)
'22 GTI, '19 GT350R
Hey R32D2, why is your signature picture Jeremy Clarkson driving a GTI? He tested the R32 too lol. Just sayin :thumbsup:

Big Brown Truck Driver
Car(s)
MKV R32
Just a shot in the dark here, but besides the accessory belt tensioner there is also a timing belt tensioner and two idler rollers on the timing belt. I've also got an intermittent squeak developing on mine, I'm doing the timing belt soon and replacing the tensioner and rollers, hopefully that gets rid of it.

EDIT: Just realized that you have an R32. I don't know if the 3.2 has a timing belt or chain.
It's a chain, IF I was gonna run into problems with this I'd figure it would me more of a rattle than a squeak. OP in other thread compared it to his noise sounding like crickets, mine sounds like mice, hah.

Hey R32D2, why is your signature picture Jeremy Clarkson driving a GTI? He tested the R32 too lol. Just sayin :thumbsup:
Haha, because I love his expression, at least we're in the ballpark with this one.

brandonpauley

Passed Driver's Ed
Mine does has the exact same noise, I narrowed it down to being the belt a long time ago. If you take a piece of chalk and, while the vehicle is running, rub the chalk on the inside and outside of the belt, the noise should go away. If it does go away, replace the belt and you'll be good to go. If not, well then it's something else :)

edit: sorry I was referring to the "crickets" noise from the engine. I just watched the vid you posted and it doesn't sound quite like the noise I have, but it's still worth a try chalking the belt.

Big Brown Truck Driver
Car(s)
MKV R32
Hah, yeah it's definitely different, the crickets one is also more of a consistent pattern. But it's worth a try.

Big Brown Truck Driver
Car(s)
MKV R32
Good neeews for me. VW thinks it's the pulley, being ordered and replaced under warranty.