GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Crickets in my engine? :iono:

Mataleao9380

Ready to race!
Crickets/squeek squeek squeek is what I would use to best describe the sound I hear coming from my GTI engine bay in the morning. I took this recording this morning of the noise. Please have a listen and let me know what you think it is.

http://www.toofiles.com/en/oip/audios/aiff/noise.html <~~File no longer works, scroll down for Chava's youtube video.

The noise only happens after the car has been sitting for long periods of time ie. overnight. It disappears after I drive after 20 or so yards and the engine temp is one notch towards the hot side. It doesn't happen again for the rest of the day until the next morning.

I've already brought my car to the dealer once for the same issue and they said not to worry its only moisture:mad0259: This was right before the holiday weekend and I had no time to argue so I left with the intention of bringing it back soon--which is today. Any input would be greatly appreciated:help:

*****UPDATED*****ISSUE DIAGNOSED CORRECTLY:thumbsup: :gasp: The plastic timing belt cover shown here:

I have an appointment to go back once they get the part, I'll post the result once it is done.

***UPDATE Dec 5*****
I started my car this morning and to my surprise, I didn't hear the squeaks like I usually do. Note that I have not gotten the new part yet. My only explanation is maybe when they reinstalled the timing belt cover, they installed it just a little higher than it sat before and thus allowing for enough clearance...

**UPDATE Dec 19****
So I had the old cover on for a week after I took it back and the squeaks were gone. I took it back to get the new cover on and squeaks were not there for 3 days then it came back. I brought it back in yesterday and they stated that they finally have it right--- I start it up this morning, not only does it squeal, it also makes a knocking sound now..damnit...

***Update Jan 15*****
Monday of this week, I dropped my car off back at the dealer. The squealing had gotten worse and now instead of only once in the morning, it does pretty much every time on cold start. I specifically asked them to keep the car for two days to look over their work cause I don't ever want to come back for the same issue ever again. They assured me, yes sir--we will look over it and make sure it is 100% this time..

I just picked up my car, it is now Thursday. They started it up--no squeal..yay. I drive back to work and about 3 minutes in, as soon as I idle, I get squeaks--they are back. So I turn my radio down, to verify the sound and I take off--I hear a metal pinging rattle. I said wtf. So i get back to the office pop the hood and surprise:

Here is the Invoice for those who are interested in part numbers:

**Update Jan 20***
They picked up the car last Thursday and picked it up the following Friday (the 16th). I got numerous apologies for the flashlight and they seem to have fixed the screeching issues. Its been 4 days and screech free. Its been extra cold here also and so far so good.

Check out "Olde Towne Wabbit 2.0" thread for another example of how my car used to sound: http://golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74937

Here is the link to his video (hope he does'nt mind): http://gallery.me.com/indepic.films#100227

****Update Jan 23***

Argh! It started squealing again... Talk about a PITA. Going back to the dealer next week.

Here is another case from Chava with the same issue:

***Update Feb 3****
Dropped off my car Tuesday, Jan 27th. They called me back Jan 28th and stated: "hey man thanks for bringing that service order in--we will replace the timing belt, tensioner, and the pulleys". I said "great, now we are getting somewhere". So I called yesterday to check on the status. They stated that they got the part in late yesterday so they weren't able to finish the job (afterall, a timing belt job is important and takes time). So I said no worries, I understand, take your time.

**UPdate Feb 5.
Picked up my car today. So far so good. Here is the work order for those who are insterested:

***UPDATE Feb 17
Still squeak free...

***Update (nearly one year later)
Still quiet.

***UPdate ( 2 years and a few months later)
Crickets are back.

***UPdate March 14, 2012
*Bump
I decided to give VWOA a call to see if they can help me out on this since its a recurring issue on a part (belt tensioner) that should last more than 10kmiles\2 years.

I'm about to make an appointment with the dealer to get it officially "diagnosed" again since it is required in order for them to look into the claim.

**My mileage is only 35k but I'm out of warranty since I've passed the 5 year powertrain warranty.
Here is the best example video of the squeak and the follow up showing the defective timing belt tensioner. Thanks to Mr.AS1llyPenguin:

***Update May 23, 2012
Due to personal family matters, I wasn't able to bring the car in until the day before yesterday. I left the car at the dealership for two days and apparently the issue can't be reproduced. What baffles my mind is that its been squeaking consistently for months now.

The first morning they started the car, the tech drove off immediately (which after a few hundred yards the squeaks go away) so understandably, they may not have heard the noise. I decided to let them have it for another day and unfortunately, I just received a call stating that the car is squeak free and with video evidence..lol.

I'll wait 'till the end of the day to pick it up to see if it'll squeak for me/them and I'll update this thread tomorrow.

Last edited:

Midwest Hick

verrUcktVW
Car(s)
Candy White GTI
sounds like the belt maybe....? i had to turn the clip off after like 20 seconds, i started tearing up

SoNgMaN

I Void Warranties
Car(s)
2010 4dr UG TDI HL
sounds like a bad tensioner or AC compressor. does your AC work?

Midwest Hick

verrUcktVW
Car(s)
Candy White GTI
its painful to hear aye

Mataleao9380

Ready to race!
Where in the engine bay is the noise coming from? Easiest thing to do first troubleshooting the problem is check your oil and coolant levels.

The noise is coming from the left side of the engine bay and it is the loudest near the serpentine belt. Oil and coolant levels are good. I definately think it's the belt. It's at the dealership now. Hopefully they'll actually give me an intelligable answer this time...

Mataleao9380

Ready to race!
sounds like a bad tensioner or AC compressor. does your AC work?

The ac works although it suck ass at cooling. I brought it in for that once..they stuck a thermomter in a vent and called ey ok. I had to argue to atleast run some test and they finally did and it all came to wihin working spec.

I agree with everyone the sound is atrocious and embarassing. They were able to recreate the noise the first time I brought in and gave a shoddy answer. Do they really expect me to believe that it was just moisture...

Midwest Hick

verrUcktVW
Car(s)
Candy White GTI
ya thats a bullshit answer, moisture....(makes jerk off gesture)

Mataleao9380

Ready to race!
mine makes the same noise after sitting overnight or for quite a few hours. goes away once warmed up.

Mine goes away too, but it pains me to hear it every morning on a "newish" car. I hear it especially loud cause my car is in the car port. I just don't think its something that I can brush aside and act like its "normal".

I know it doesn't really affect my car on my day to day driving--but I'd hate to get to 30k miles from now with some kind of belt failure--Id be kicking myself for not taking it in for atleast documentation of perhaps "early signs of failure" .

Who knows--I may just be a lil paranoid bout my car but they are warranted. So far I've had to replace a dv, a pcv, intake flapper motor, ac compressor and belts, fuel pressure sensor and not to mention the countless of rattles in the car. But despite all of this, I still love my car. No one else understands why but I'm sure many of you do.