GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Crickets in my engine? :iono:

.:R32D2

Big Brown Truck Driver
Car(s)
MKV R32
Mine only did it on cold starts. How far do you live from your dealer? If the car has warmed up already by the time you get it there, there's your answer.

Hmm, mine actually never does it on cold starts, even after 20 minutes of driving. If I'm to connect the dots...it seems to only start making it after driving it very spiritedly for a good hour or more, you can hear it on idle and for that quick second when you start the engine.

Dynjo

Ready to race!
Here's my story...

Crickets every morning when cold. Chirpchirpchipchirp.

Took the timing belt cover off and ran the engine. The noise was definitely coming from the viscinity of the idler but I determined it absolutely could not be the idler itself because the frequency of the chirps was way too slow. Here's my logic...

The engine idles at about 800 rpm, or more than 10 revs per second. The idler diameter is about a third of the crank pulley diameter. That means the idler is spinning three times faster than the crank, or about 30 revs per second or 30 Hertz. If the idler squeeked every time it rotatated, it would "chirp" 30 times per second. Think about what that would sound like. It would sound like a buzz or zipper or a machine gun. Much faster than a cricket. No way would a idler or tensioner sound like a cricket.

If not the idler, what? What moves that slow?

The timing belt itself forms a loop that is perhaps five times larger than the crank pulley. That means it rotates five times slower. Therefore, if it made a noise every time it completed a revolution, it would chirp twice per second. That's about the right frequency! ChirpChirpChirp. But why would a belt make a noise once per belt rev??

Recall that the idler runs on the back side of the belt. The side with no teeth. The side with the big, printed manufacturer logo and part number.

It took a little mental concentration, but I was able to watch the belt run across the idler and synchronize my eyes with my ears. Sure enough, whenever that white blur of a label ran across the idler, it made a chirp. To confirm my theory, I sprayed just a little WD-40 on the back side of the belt, and the noise immediately dissappeared, albeit temporarily.

It's the belt itself that makes the chirp. More specifically, it's the ink or paint of the label. Over time the label must get polished or sticky or something that causes it to squeek as it passes over the roller.

That's why VW is reluctant to change it and merely sprays some belt goop on it. There is nothing mechanically wrong with the belt. It will likely last tens of thousands more miles. It's only "fault" is that it makes an annoying noise.

Last edited:

Big Brown Truck Driver
Car(s)
MKV R32
Dynjo, I wish that wasn't only a temporary problem, as my car only produces the noise after a couple hours of driving, It's not always doing it so it makes it hard for VW to diagnose the problem, I have to maybe be driving in the area when it does and stop in unexpected or something, like this week...I only drive 20 miles a day for work so I probably won't hear it till Friday when I get out of work, run errands, etc.

But you're getting "crickets" on cold starts like pretty much everyone else here
.Maybe I have a different noise, what do you guys think?
here's my noise: http://youtu.be/LWIbk9JVoPQ

LateAPXR

Ready to race!
But you're getting "crickets" on cold starts like pretty much everyone else here. Mine is happening only after driving it for for a few hours.Maybe I have a different noise, what do you guys think?
here's my noise: http://youtu.be/LWIbk9JVoPQ

That sounds like a different noise. At the very least, it's more irregular than mine is.

Here is a video of my car: http://cl.ly/2e473P1o050E

Big Brown Truck Driver
Car(s)
MKV R32
Damn, well my Mac's speakers don't work and I can't play it through my Android so I'll just take your word for it. We do have different engines so that may be a factor as far as consistency, The moment I hear it I'll spray the belt like Dynjo said, if it stops then we know the problem, it it doesn't then it's probably the belt tensioner like everyone is saying.