GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Crickets in my engine? :iono:

stringshifter6

Nom Nom Nom
Car(s)
2007 GTI
I have the same noise, it started at 40k or so. Belt conditioner only works for a day or so. It's not the timing belt btw, it's the belt for the water pump and alternator.

Mataleao9380

Ready to race!
So its the timing belt? Is it slipping or is it actually rubbing inside the cover?

The tech inspected the belt and apparently it's ok. That plastic housing shrinks to it's defromed state and touches the timing belt until it warms up and expands. Apparently they took the cover off and the noise ceased immediately but I will believe 100% when I hear the result myself when the part comes in.

Mataleao9380

Ready to race!
..:thumbup: I was hoping someone with the same noise would try the "fix"..and report back to see if it fixes their issue..

Mataleao9380

Ready to race!
Hmm, time to try it. 4 bolts for the timing cover?

So I just got back from the dealership and the issue was definitely the timing belt cover. Reason I say that is that when they installed the new one--it starting squeaking again and it took them an hour to get it on correctly. Apparently there is not much room for error. The gap between the belt and the notch is less than a half an inch.

stringshifter6

Nom Nom Nom
Car(s)
2007 GTI
Well, I tried moving the cover around. It reduced the noise somewhat, but it's not completely gone. I'll mess around with it some more. By any chance did you see how badly it was rubbing or where?

Mataleao9380

Ready to race!
Well, I tried moving the cover around. It reduced the noise somewhat, but it's not completely gone. I'll mess around with it some more. By any chance did you see how badly it was rubbing or where?

I was watchin from a distance..so I couldn't really see all too well. At one point the tech actually had the car running and adjusted it till the noise dissappeared then bolted it down. It took two techs to do that. He explained that the cover has a notch where the belt fits through which was where it was rubbing. I'm sure if u take all the way out and inspect it would make more sense.

MYGTI=FAST

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08 GTI MKV
My car is at the dealership for the exact same problem according to the dealer is the timing belt, which in my opinion the sound appears to be coming from the a/c belt , but i am getting my timing belt changed for free and i have 27,000 miles on it, so sounds good to me, as long as they fix it, because i already made 2 trips with no luck.

etang789

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
MKV GTI
So I just got back from the dealership and the issue was definitely the timing belt cover. Reason I say that is that when they installed the new one--it starting squeaking again and it took them an hour to get it on correctly. Apparently there is not much room for error. The gap between the belt and the notch is less than a half an inch.

Yea is it possible that you can scan the paper work or like give me the part number for the new timing belt cover... since my warranty is over i think i have to order the part myself and install it at my tuner shop...

I had the timing belt replaced by dealer before but it did not fix the problem...

Mataleao9380

Ready to race!
Yea is it possible that you can scan the paper work or like give me the part number for the new timing belt cover... since my warranty is over i think i have to order the part myself and install it at my tuner shop...

I had the timing belt replaced by dealer before but it did not fix the problem...

Hey man, chances are the cover just needs to be repositioned.

Anyway, my car is going back to dealer since its doing it again:mad: . The guy that repositioned the old one (which worked a full week) wasn't there when I got my new one put in. The "new" tech that put the new one in was a noob and needed another tech to help him put it back in (it took nearly an hour and a half).

I will update you on the part number when I find my paperwork.

etang789

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Hey man, chances are the cover just needs to be repositioned.

Anyway, my car is going back to dealer since its doing it again:mad: . The guy that repositioned the old one (which worked a full week) wasn't there when I got my new one put in. The "new" tech that put the new one in was a noob and needed another tech to help him put it back in (it took nearly an hour and a half).

I will update you on the part number when I find my paperwork.

Thanks man!

tranceporter

F**K YOU CAM FOLLOWERS
Car(s)
'08 BMP GTI
my car makes the same noise. after i start driving in the morning it goes away and doesn't come back til the next morning. i don't feel any differences in the car or ac/heating