GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Spacer questions

ahuang1983

Kanoneweiß
Car(s)
VW GTI Mk5
Hi,

I have a 18inch huff, and I am thinking to get a 10mm - 12mm spacer in the rear. Do i need bolts for it?
On the H&R DR series, it says do not use on rear with hub contour higher than 14mm. Yet it said mostly use on oem wheels.
Lastly, it seems pretty easy to DIY but i never done it before.
Should i bring it to a shop to be safe? And do i need to take it off during winter?

Thanks!

bmpgti07

Go Kart Champion
You can easily do it yourself, its like changing a spare. You just take out ur wheel, put the spacer on, and put ur wheel back on..
Spacer is fine, you can even do 15 or 20.. Make sure they are hubcentric and you will definitely need longer bolts.
Our bore size is 57.1 so make sure u get spacers to fit that, not mercedes ones or something which. Have a larger bore size..
Lastly, you don't need to take it off in the winter, I only run spacers in the winter with my 17s and snow tires and its perfectly fine.

ahuang1983

Kanoneweiß
Car(s)
VW GTI Mk5
thanks for the reply! But how do i know if it is hubcentric? and my car is dropped so i only have a finger and half gap, will 15-20mm be ok?

phil

becausephilchow
Car(s)
2009 VW R32
Hi,

I have a 18inch huff, and I am thinking to get a 10mm - 12mm spacer in the rear. Do i need bolts for it?
On the H&R DR series, it says do not use on rear with hub contour higher than 14mm. Yet it said mostly use on oem wheels.
Lastly, it seems pretty easy to DIY but i never done it before.
Should i bring it to a shop to be safe? And do i need to take it off during winter?

Thanks!

If you want it to sit flush, you'll need at least a 20MM Spacer in the rear, IIRC.

Because the wheel is an 18 x 7.5 ET51, and I think you need around an offset of 30 for it to sit flush with the fenders in the rear.

If you want the fronts to sit flush, I think you can do it with a 12 or 15MM, no need for 20MM, because the rears sit further in than the fronts, IIRC.

It's a very DIY, pretty much taking off your wheels and re-installing it.

You can use them in the winter perfectly fine, I'm thinking of picking up spacers for my Huffs for the winter too.

thanks for the reply! But how do i know if it is hubcentric? and my car is dropped so i only have a finger and half gap, will 15-20mm be ok?

Whether to know it's hubcentric...I think it'll say when you buy it.

The spacer will have that it's in specs.

20MM is okay with a 1.5 Finger Gap, I think that you're dropped about within an Eibach Pro-Kit range, so you should be fine, shoudln't have any problems with it.

VMRWheels

Go Kart Champion
If you're ordering from H&R, as long as you are telling the exact car you are ordering for, they will make sure it is hub-centric.

Your OEM bolts are 14x1.5mm with a 28mm shank. Add whatever thickness of a spacer you are using to the length of the shank to determine how long of a bolt you'll need.

RobbDizzle

Ambalamps Dispatcher
Car(s)
07 VW GTI 5-door
Any issues with running spacers in the front?

brekdown29

J-O-O
Car(s)
GTI 7.5
I just ordered a set of ECS 15mm for the rear...they have a great selection of sizes, include the longer bolts, and they are all hub centric. They also sell H&R but the ECS ones seemed like more of a complete package. They should be on by Friday. I have the Hufs and Eibach Sportline Springs as well so I can share pics if you'd like once they're on.

ahuang1983

Kanoneweiß
Car(s)
VW GTI Mk5
thanks a lot guys! looking forward to see it brekdown29.

brekdown29

J-O-O
Car(s)
GTI 7.5
Any issues with running spacers in the front?

I don't see what issues there would be except for the fact that it may be easier to rub on a lowered setup...I'm going to see how I like the stance just leaving the front alone with the 15mm in the rear. I don't think I'd personnally do any more than 10.5 mm in the front.

brekdown29

J-O-O
Car(s)
GTI 7.5
As promised...15 mm ECS spacers with longer bolts in rear. Not great shots but it's too hot out to try any harder. Wheels sit nearly flush with the fender now and I'm digging the look.

Attachments

• IMG_5174.JPG
    IMG_5174.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 467
  • IMG_5175.JPG
    IMG_5175.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 475
  • IMG_5177.JPG
    IMG_5177.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 464

brekdown29

J-O-O
Car(s)
GTI 7.5
^why thank you good sir!

ahuang1983

Kanoneweiß
Car(s)
VW GTI Mk5
Thanks so much brekdown!! that looks awesome! and answers what i will order like right now! lol.
What made you choose the ECS over the H&R? i was gonna go for the H&R 15mm just because it is from germany. Where did ecs get their's made?

ahuang1983

Kanoneweiß
Car(s)
VW GTI Mk5
Oh and i forgot to ask, does it rub when u hit speed bumps?

brekdown29

J-O-O
Car(s)
GTI 7.5
I chose ECS because honestly it was simpler...their spacers come complete with the right sized longer bolts. Not sure where they're made but they appear to be of very high quality. I haven't gone over any speed bumps yet but I am 99% positive that it won't rub...I've still got some significant room...I don't think the sportline springs lower jetta's as much in the rear as gti's though.