GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

So, someone backed into my new GTI today.

chunkisagoonie

VW Lifer
Car(s)
'97 Golf Jazz
So, I was over at a Home Depot to buy wood screws. I left the store and started driving out of the parking lot towards Taco Bell (I was starving). All of a sudden, I hear a loud "THUNK". An older dude (mid 60s) backed straight into my ONE AND A HALF MONTH OLD GTI with his '06 Nissan Titan. And of course the typical "My gosh, I didn't see you!" Typical truck people, I swear...

As you can see in the pictures, the rear passenger side quarter panel is totally f**ked and the damage spread to part of the passenger door and also to the inner edge of the rear bumper. The guy was very apologetic and initially tried phoning the police but of course they can do nothing with private property collisions that don't have injuries involved. He then phoned his insurance company (Allstate) to file a claim and essentially admitted fault for the accident. They talked to me briefly to get my information and told me that one of their claim adjusters would contact me in the next two days. So, okay...fine. I got his insurance and license information and a contact phone number. Judging by his confusion of my actions, it became very apparent to that this guy probably hasn't filed an insurance claim in like 20 years.

I was close to my dealership and the car was still somewhat drivable, so I took it in for a recommendation on a good body shop. I called Roadside Assistance and after about an hour and a half, they towed my car to the recommended body shop. While I was waiting for this to happen, I phoned Allstate to inquire about getting into a rental because I was 20 miles away from home with no car to drive. I got the typical "sorry sir, we can't authorize payment for a rental until our adjuster looks at the damage." And then my insurance company tells me that getting a rental covered under my own policy would require similar action. It's funny how things change, because the last time I filed an insurance claim (at least 5 years ago), I got into a rental, fully paid for within TWO HOURS.

Luckily, I still have my old Golf to hold me over because God only knows how long this thing will be in the body shop. Insurance companies only cover so many rental days....

So, here's my dilemma:

• I have to call/visit the body shop tomorrow first thing and make good and sure that they intend on repairing the damage properly, as if it were a brand new vehicle (which it is). To me, this doesn't look like something that you can just pull dents out of and do a cheap Bondo job to. Factory paint would be a must because I'll be damned if the paint doesn't match the rest of the car.
  • Since this accident happened on private property with no witnesses to speak of, it's hard to say whether Allstate will try to screw with me or not. While this guy did openly admit fault over the phone, it's not to say that things can't all of a sudden change (I've seen it happen before to a lot of people). My best friend thinks I should call my attorney ASAP just to keep Allstate in check. But this has always been a moral dilemma for me - I'm not the type of guy that likes to sue people just because. I guess I'll just have to see how things play out.

I worked my ass off for this car. I seriously want to cry. :cry:

will

Thats pretty gay imo. Thats a lot of damage. I wish I could say something to make you feel better about the situation but really what can you say?
Allstate should take care of you I have dealt with them before when some idiot t-boned our mini van. He also admitted fault to them. What really sucks is the car will never be the same. make sure you stress that to the insurance company.

BlueWabbit

back being low.
Car(s)
2008 VW Rabbit
wow that was some hit than how could that guy not say it wasnt his fault that dent is huge. im sorry to hear about your loss try not to go to body shops that the insurance recommends it takes forever and sometimes they forget parts and make a huge fuss over it. try to find someplace local but some place where you can trust. OEM paint is i dont know hard to come by out of vw i am assuming im not 100% sure on that. but theres probably no need to get a lawyer in this mess that just means more money maybe just wait it out and see how it goes with allstate but that really sucks i was heart broken when i scrolled down and saw the damage... ouch...

e-dub

It sucks, but it'll be alright.

Remember YOU can choose where it goes. Do your homework and you'll find someone that specializes in VW and will use all factory parts/paint.

Uthor

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'07 GTI - Pk1 - Silv
What's that on your rear tire under the fender? Looks like a big rock.

Is your rear wheel fine or crooked? Looks like you got hit up high enough to miss damage there.

Frankly, I'd just hope they total it and you get a new car, but I doubt you have quite that much damage.

wabbit

What's up Doc..???
Car(s)
Golf GTI MkV DSG
one and a half months old??? i'd cry!

sorry about your car but luckily your 18" rims are safe coz i know those rims cost alot!

hope everything goes fine..

I<3VDUB

BLK 2 DR Rabbit
You should have definitely called the police with that much damage. This way you get a full police report, that states it was his fault. I would never take the word of somebody you don't know.

Looks like you will be ok in this case, because the guy called his insurance company on the spot, but in the future, I would make sure to get the report.

Without it what proof would you even have that somebody hit your car other than the damage? Somebody could say later say you are lying, and without the proof, you could get screwed.

That really sucks though dude. Forget just pulling those dents out too. I would demand all new parts. New Door, new bumper, new fender, new everything.

Quigaboo

Ready to race!
Dude.... Call the cops anyway and get an accident report anyway... In NY the police have to file an accident report if requested by the parties involved. The side of your car is wrecked and that sucks. Make sure your protected so the guy can't contest to accident details later on.

Good luck and sorry about the bad news!

tech_rabbit

VW Newb
Car(s)
2007 Rabbit
It was on private property with no injuries, the police will not come and investigate or file a report. I know this from personal experience.

You should have definitely called the police with that much damage. This way you get a full police report, that states it was his fault. I would never take the word of somebody you don't know.

Looks like you will be ok in this case, because the guy called his insurance company on the spot, but in the future, I would make sure to get the report.

Without it what proof would you even have that somebody hit your car other than the damage? Somebody could say later say you are lying, and without the proof, you could get screwed.

That really sucks though dude. Forget just pulling those dents out too. I would demand all new parts. New Door, new bumper, new fender, new everything.

dpham00

Modérateur Emeritus
It was on private property with no injuries, the police will not come and investigate or file a report. I know this from personal experience.

here in LA, a lot of times, even on public roads, they won't come if there's no injury. you should file an accident report regardless through the dmv though, if your insurance company doesn't do it for ya.

TheFactor

Go Kart Champion
Oh man that sucks:frown:

path

Ready to race!
Wow, that's some big damage.

You should definitely go down to the police station and file a report. Even if nothing ever happens with it, you will at least have it documented. Every state is different, but in MA an insurance company will not pay a claim unless you have a police report because the state requires it, I don't know about AZ.

You should also have the dealership inspect the vehicle for mechanical damage too, especially if the shop you took it to is "only a body shop".

I would not run off and get an attorney, but if you know one it might not be a bad idea to speak with them. Having an attorney on your side doesn't mean that you are going to sue someone, it just means that someone is watching the insurance company for you...underwriters make money by collecting premiums NOT paying claims.