GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

So i need to replace my brakes rotors and pads...

BarneyBoy

...and it's only a 1.4?
Car(s)
Mk5 Golf GT
R32 rotors and calipers WILL fit inside the 17" Classix (see attached pic from dangsr's GTI.

And stock R32 brakes on a GT that weighs around 300kg less than an R32 would provide outstanding stopping power.

The biggest problem seems to be sourcing the R32 calipers (equivalent rotors are easy to find) at a non-stratospheric price. From the last time I looked, R32 front & rear brake kits were about US$2800. That was a while back admittedly, but didn't include s/s brake lines or the larger dust shields (or fitting). ECS seems to be a reasonable source for most of the bits.

Attachments

• Dan GSR.jpg
    Dan GSR.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 10,605

M4RK0

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI - MK6
I just came back from my 45000k service and the guy told me my tyres and pads are due for a change probably by the next service. However he said according to VW that whenever the pads are changed the rotors need to be changed to to be kept covered under warranty.

He said that the stock pads and rotors are softer than other standard cars for comfort, noise, and extra braking power. And because the rotors are softer they don't last as long...

Anyone else gotta do this? I'm thinking of either going aftermarket (any suggestions?) or not changing the rotors (are the rotors that soft they last only 45000k?)

I wonder why so early?, are the rotors different from other models?,

I have 60,000K and my pads still have about a quater of life maybe 10000K more and VW never reported this change before,

I'll take my car for service of the 60K, lets see what they say....

Good luck!

cheers!

brad1.8T

Ready to race!
I wonder why so early?, are the rotors different from other models?,

I have 60,000K and my pads still have about a quater of life maybe 10000K more and VW never reported this change before,

disc pads & rotors wear at different rates depending on how often & hard the brakes are used.

I spend most of my time on the motorway & rarely use my brakes. I have 60,000km & they are worn 20% - so maybe they'll go to 250,000km.