GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

So i need to replace my brakes rotors and pads...

GTtsi

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf GT Sport TSI
I just came back from my 45000k service and the guy told me my tyres and pads are due for a change probably by the next service. However he said according to VW that whenever the pads are changed the rotors need to be changed to to be kept covered under warranty.

He said that the stock pads and rotors are softer than other standard cars for comfort, noise, and extra braking power. And because the rotors are softer they don't last as long...

Anyone else gotta do this? I'm thinking of either going aftermarket (any suggestions?) or not changing the rotors (are the rotors that soft they last only 45000k?)

RobbyJai

Passed Driver's Ed
after market is the cheapest and quite frankly the better option. go through VW and they'll tear you a new butt hole.

45000km-60000km is typically the life of pads... depending on driving style...so your about right.. usually rotors ... you need to have a look at it... if its got a big fat lip on the outer edge... and that lip is quite deep.. means you've chewed up quite a fair bit of surface off the rotors which suggest a replacement is quite likely needed.

if there is only a slight edge/lip.. then machining the rotors will do the job nicely and save you some dosh!

GTom

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf GT
Fronts you can get Hawk HPS pads that suit the GTI. The rears are a bit more trickier as they are not the same i.e smaller than the GTI.

Best person to contact is Paul_OH he seems to know a bit and has sourced a few things from OS for the rear.

You can always do what I did and get R32 brakes :D

Bizi

Jetta with Rice
Car(s)
Jetta MY07
I bought a set of GTI size Schwaben rotors (ECS tuning's house brand I think).
I've not fitted them yet. Might be worthwhile for you too.

I imagine they will last longer than the soft OEM ones. Worth you checking them out!

Otherwise kaan here in Sydney is selling a front Brembo BBK (will require either 19s or his OZ Racing 18s), so that is a substantial outlay. Otherwise follow GTom's idea of a S3/R32 front brake upgrade - or even better, a Porsche 986/986 Brembo caliper upgrade. Fuzion aka Pierre is a good source of info on this kind of upgrade.

Has anyone else here done a Porsche caliper BBK upgrade? It's $500-600 for the hangers/braided lines, plus pads, plus calipers, so just over 1k and you can use Merc OEM rotors. ukmkivs forum has a lot of info on this kind of ghetto Brembo OEM mix and match. :)

merk

Ready to race!
I've machined my fronts (R32, though), worked fine?

I cant remember, but I think they're still original at 160,000kms (without any really hard driving or track work)

GP_GTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI
Your brakes and tyres are the only thing between yourself and disaster.

GTI rotors are soft and thin (like almost all euro OEM brakes) and when they're worn to the limit they MUST be replaced.

The rotors can be skimmed if they are still within the wear limits, but I wouldn't do it if the rotors won't last another set of pads.

Aftermarket pads and rotors are reasonably priced, and can not affect your warranty if used.

gh172

Ready to race!
Is it true that the rotors must be replaced with the pads to maintain the warranty?

camerooney

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Dub!
The previous owner of my GTI had the rotors and pads replaced by VW at the 60k service.
Wasnt cheap, set him back $1600 for the whole service and everything.

Im interested to know the warranty implications too.

GP_GTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI
Is it true that the rotors must be replaced with the pads to maintain the warranty?

The previous owner of my GTI had the rotors and pads replaced by VW at the 60k service.
Wasnt cheap, set him back $1600 for the whole service and everything.

Im interested to know the warranty implications too.

No warranty implications.

VW warrants OEM bits. If you replace pads alone, the warranty on the rotors is NOT affected (not sure what the warranty is on a consumable part, premature failure that is not normal wear & tear probably)

Aftermarket suppliers warrant the parts they supply, putting aftermarket brakes on a VW CAN NOT void any VW warranty on the car, UNLESS the aftermarket parts directly cause the problem.

EG, if an aftermarket rotor were to disintegrate and the flying bits cause a wheel to break, VW will deny warranty on the wheel and any other part that is damaged by the event, whereas if the same thing happened to on OEM rotor, everything gets replaced (except perhaps the tyre if it's damaged)

The dealership is using good old fashioned FUD to try and prevent you from using aftermarket parts or just replacing what's worn out.

Having said that, on brakes that have closely matched pad/rotor life, I would always replace all as a set. But I wouldn't pay $1600 when there's perfectly good aftermarket rotors and pads available for a fraction of that.

Not to mention that pad/rotor replacement is VERY easy for most handypersons.

camerooney

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Dub!
Thanks for the clarification GP_GTI
I won't be replacing my rotors/pads with genuine OEM. I'll be going aftermarket for sure.

GTtsi

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf GT Sport TSI
R32 brakes seem like a good way to go. I don't need brembos as i drive hard but not THAT hard. They should fit in the standard classicx 17s right? i havent done my research yet, i will soon. Are the r32 rotors as soft as the gt ones? as in would they need to be changed after 60000kms?

GTtsi

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf GT Sport TSI
slightly OT i'm planning on importing tires to for another car is shipping charges included in the declared value?

gh172

Ready to race!
slightly OT i'm planning on importing tires to for another car is shipping charges included in the declared value?

I was in the same boat as you. I believe that the shipping charges are not included in the declared value.

GTtsi

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf GT Sport TSI
oh well either way right now i think it should be just a smidge under $1k. Just worried if the stock 17" classix can clear a r32 brake kit... i'm quite happy with the current rims... although i might have to get lightweight ones if i feel the weight difference of the r32 kit upgrade

brad1.8T

Ready to race!
However he said according to VW that whenever the pads are changed the rotors need to be changed to to be kept covered under warranty.
Well he's kind-of right. VW won't warrant non-OEM parts but how often do disc rotors/brake pads poop themselves. If you fit quality aftermarket gear, warranty for those items is then transferred to the manufacturer of those items. Disc pads & rotors aren't warranted for wear, so all you are concerned about is manufacturer defects.

The only reason the rotors need changing is if machining them brings them below the minimum thickness. IIRC new is 25mm & minimum is 22mm, so there isn't much to play with there.

I'd go aftermarket every time.

He said that the stock pads and rotors are softer than other standard cars for comfort, noise, and extra braking power. And because the rotors are softer they don't last as long...
That's more or less right

Anyone else gotta do this? I'm thinking of either going aftermarket (any suggestions?) or not changing the rotors (are the rotors that soft they last only 45000k?)
If you put new pads onto old rotors they will:
a) Take forever to bed in & get full pad to disc contact
b) Will probably shudder, vibrate & feel like crap.
c) The reduced metal mass of the old rotors (they act as a heatsink) will mean that your brakes will tend to overheat quicker & nor be as effective if you tend to use the brakes heavily.
d) Wear the pads out quicker
So not a good idea.

I'm not quite sure why you want to go to the R32 upgrade path. Why not look at some quality rotors - at a minimum something like DBA 4000 slotted or even 2 piece rotors (usually lighter) with a Ferodo 2000 or 2500 compound pad.

try compfriction.com.au or racebrakes.com.au

there also a brake guy over at VWwatercooled that does some reasonable stuff (Remsa, QFM, EBC, DBA, etc).

Keep in mind that some of the pads don't have the wear sensor built in.

/searches.... bugger, can't find the link but I was looking at a UK(?) site the other day & they must have had 10 different brands of rotors for Golfs.:cry:
Found it: DC Performance

Also, i have bought from JKM Performance

Last edited: