GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Snow tires

dubbin

All in, All out..
Car(s)
09 GTI
So here is my dilemma. Moving to Salt Lake City here in about two weeks ( not by choice) and i know or should i say i have a good feeling im going to encounter snow. Now i ordered some snow tires for the stock wheels and my question is if i drive from San Diego to SLC on the snow tires, other then the loud road noises what are the drawbacks? will this ruin the tires?

I have no snow tire experience and these things are really soft compared to regualr wheels (obviously). I just want to know if this is a big deal or not.

TIA

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
How far is it?

I wouldn't drive on them in warm weather at all though, especially if they're brand new. Most winter/snow tires have a special compound for the beginning tread....you don't want to lose/wear that out right away

Wait until you get to Salt Lake City to get them mounted up

four7

Yup
Car(s)
13 WRX
It depends on what tires you bought. Some are designed to withstand more dry road/freeway use than others that are designed for deep heavy snow. I would say probably 50% of my snow tires life has been on clear freeways and they have had no signs of abuse.

phil

becausephilchow
Car(s)
2009 VW R32
Snow Tires are generally recommended to put on when it's under 10 Degrees Celcius, or 50 Degrees Fahrenheit.

Seems to be like 10+ Hour Drive, including all the stops. I wouldn't drive on them in that warm of weather, you'll wear them out a hell of a lot quicker.

nhbubba

CEL free until 48,398 mi
If you can't avoid it, it is not the end of the world.
I commute on my snows 4-ish months/yr, 80-90% of which is on clear (if salty) pavement, occasionally with temps over 50-F. And I have lived to tell about it.

You will find the snows squishier and a bit more slick in the warm weather. Remember that when you reach for the crawl up the ass of a semi on the Interstate.

GodSquadMandrake

Radioactive Rotary Rocket
Just be gentle on them. Keep the speeds within the range for the tire and don`t take corners too fast. That will really wear them out quick.

dubbin

All in, All out..
Car(s)
09 GTI
Yea i strted doin some research and its not too big of a deal as long as im not beating on them and stay within the speed range as mentioned already. I mean the temps are warm but hell the first couple hundred of miles is the only concern.. Shit vegas just got snow recently lol thats only 290mi away from my house. Im sure once u get into utah that 50F temps will be easy to come by lol