GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

SIMPLE DIY cam follower check. DUMMY PROOF

Spectre

Ready to race!
This is the easiest thing to do. None of it is hard. Just let the engine cool so it won't catch on fire. And have a fire extinguisher! I just checked mine today. I check mine every other week or so. Still looking good after 40K miles. Going to go another 10K and change it even if it still looks good.

Audiopulse

Gotta Jibboo
Car(s)
GTI
Mine plastic holder cup cracked during shipment and there was no oil in the package. IT was a VW part too. CF was unharmed but dry.

Can I use motor oil to lube?

Or must I find grease that will not dirty my oil/ clog my oil filter??

Yes, you can use regular motor oil. Oil is going to get to it regardless, not even sure it really mattrers if you lube if before you put it in..

goneD4rk

Banned
PLEASE someone with banjo bolt on HPFP. PLEASE add to DIY on how best to get into tight spot.

remove all tubes, hoses in the way?>????

I have the tool bit to fit the bolt but can't get a good angle . Don't want to damage banjo head!!!\\\

:cry::cry::cry::cry::mad::mad::mad:

Attachments

• hpfp-banjo_fitting-tool.jpg
    hpfp-banjo_fitting-tool.jpg
    415.1 KB · Views: 786
  • 7Bestleverage.jpg
    7Bestleverage.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 1,148
  • 5M8tool.jpg
    5M8tool.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 777

goneD4rk

Banned
:laughabove:

I found those pics above. Maybe it could help somebody else. I need to give it another try later. :iono:

Jive

Car(s)
Golf GTI 2009
Just want to thank the creator of this thread. I used around one hour to check the cam follower on my 09 GTI yesterday. Due to the fact that I live in Europe, my GTI has the TFSI engine and not the TSI like you US guys have. However, the engine code of my car is BWA.

Anyway, happy with the result. Cam-follower was barely worn at all. The GTI has 112 000 km on the clock which (according to my MacBook's calculator) is around 70 000 miles.

Since Yahoo has ruined flickr, I had use twitter in order to upload a picture of the new and old cam follower. Follow this link: pic.twitter.com/PcW94ywOc4

Greetings JVV.

Car(s)
Subaru
Just want to thank the creator of this thread. I used around one hour to check the cam follower on my 09 GTI yesterday. Due to the fact that I live in Europe, my GTI has the TFSI engine and not the TSI like you US guys have. However, the engine code of my car is BWA.

Anyway, happy with the result. Cam-follower was barely worn at all. The GTI has 112 000 km on the clock which (according to my MacBook's calculator) is around 70 000 miles.

Since Yahoo has ruined flickr, I had use twitter in order to upload a picture of the new and old cam follower. Follow this link: pic.twitter.com/PcW94ywOc4

Greetings JVV.

i would have still used it :rolleyes: lol

glad you caught it. i hate hearing about people that kept putting it off and in turn makes them spend money to repair it all

Jive

Car(s)
Golf GTI 2009
Most of us on this forum have the FSI as well. The TSI came out 2008.5+ I believe

Yes that is correct, but is still rather odd that they chose to have different engines for the two markets (regarding 2008.5).

i would have still used it :rolleyes: lol

glad you caught it. i hate hearing about people that kept putting it off and in turn makes them spend money to repair it all

Yeah my thoughts exactly, but I ended up replacing it even though the old one was barely worn.

/JVV

bfly

So I was having issues and decided to check my cam follower(Thanks for the great DIY writeup!) and it has a huge hole in it. Not only that, it is STUCK in the camshaft. I can not get it out. Looked up and down this forum and have not seen any posts on a stuck cam follower. Anyone ever experience this? If so, how do I get it out?\

Oh I should mention that I am wayyy past 120k and know that I will be in for a sticker shock once I take it to the dealership to get resolved.

pfar54

I was using this article to guide me to replace my cam follower. Very nice article by the way!

Anyways I followed it completely and when I put the hpfp back on I noticed I do not have the rubber hose as shown in this write up. It specifies to take the fuel line off and not worry about the other rubber hose line, so I didn't even think about it. Initially, once I noticed it wasn't there, I thought it may have just came loose and fallen, but I cannot locate it.

I have been noticing that I have been "burning" more oil than normal the last couple thousand of miles. I also noticed a decent amount of oil build up. Could this be why? Where does this hose go to?? Will oil pour out without this hose off?

I need help please.

nickygym

Ready to race!
Do you replace the gasket and tor screws every time? I head that you were supposed to? Also, do you fully disconnect the fuel pump? Thanks.

Epic_Sandwich

I Drive a Sedan
Do you replace the gasket and tor screws every time? I head that you were supposed to? Also, do you fully disconnect the fuel pump? Thanks.

It's best to replace the bolts every time, yes. The gasket as well. These are inexpensive parts. You don't want the bolts failing. I would recommend an HPFP stud kit, however, so you don't need to worry about replacing bolts or stripping your aluminum housing. Eurocars sells a great kit.

nickygym

Ready to race!
It's best to replace the bolts every time, yes. The gasket as well. These are inexpensive parts. You don't want the bolts failing. I would recommend an HPFP stud kit, however, so you don't need to worry about replacing bolts or stripping your aluminum housing. Eurocars sells a great kit.

I was thinking of getting this:
http://www.ecstuning.com/ES2609354/
Also, do you disconnect the battery when doing this? Thanks for the info.