GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

SIMPLE DIY cam follower check. DUMMY PROOF

Jonnyflash

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2007 GTI
Thanks to this great DIY I finally worked up the courage to check my follower. Luckily mine did not have the banjo bolt so I was able to do it easily in about 30 minutes. Here is what I found on my original follower which has 105000 km (65243 miles) on it.

The follower and the cam are both as smooth as glass but the follower's black coating has worn off. I've ordered a new follower from the stealership which are milking me dry by charging $90+tax for a new one. I think that's ridiculous but I don't have much of a choice considering it cost me about the same to buy one online and ship it to New Brunswick, Canada. Has anyone else had their dealership charge this much for a cam follower?

they should sell those for 5$ considering the fact that is their fault...can u imagine how much money vw is making just by selling cam followers? lol

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk

adamgti

Trust me, I'm an engineer
Car(s)
07 CW GTI 4 dr
Well how much money do you think they're losing on replacing pumps/cams for free under the extended warranty?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
Thanks to this great DIY I finally worked up the courage to check my follower. Luckily mine did not have the banjo bolt so I was able to do it easily in about 30 minutes. Here is what I found on my original follower which has 105000 km (65243 miles) on it.

The follower and the cam are both as smooth as glass but the follower's black coating has worn off. I've ordered a new follower from the stealership which are milking me dry by charging $90+tax for a new one. I think that's ridiculous but I don't have much of a choice considering it cost me about the same to buy one online and ship it to New Brunswick, Canada. Has anyone else had their dealership charge this much for a cam follower?

That doesn't look too bad considering it has 65k on it. Is your car chipped?

Did you try dbcperformance.com

I'm not sure if they ship to Canada, but I think they charge $45 or $50 USD.

Jonnyflash

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2007 GTI
That doesn't look too bad considering it has 65k on it. Is your car chipped?

Did you try dbcperformance.com

I'm not sure if they ship to Canada, but I think they charge $45 or $50 USD.

The car is bone stock as far as I know. I just bought it, certified pre-owned, from the local dealership in January.

Thanks for the link! They only charge $27 to ship here so it would only cost me $67 shipped. Not sure about tax/duty charges though. Even so, it's still a much better deal that from the stealership.

Hmmm... maybe I should order a replacement PCV and diverter valve from them too since I plan on going Stage 2 soon. I'll check what revision I currently have first. If I'm lucky, they have already been replaced.

The car is bone stock as far as I know. I just bought it, certified pre-owned, from the local dealership in January.

Thanks for the link! They only charge $27 to ship here so it would only cost me $67 shipped. Not sure about tax/duty charges though. Even so, it's still a much better deal that from the stealership.

Hmmm... maybe I should order a replacement PCV and diverter valve from them too since I plan on going Stage 2 soon. I'll check what revision I currently have first. If I'm lucky, they have already been replaced.

Get this and never look back http://www.redline-motorworks.com/BSH_2_0T_FSI_PCV_Fix_VW_Mk5_GTI_06_08_5_p/10552104.htm

16whitemk7

Another Addict
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE 6mt
Awesome DIY. It helped tons! :thumbsup:

This is what my cam follower looked like at just over 10k. Car has 85k. (Maybe I should have dried the cam follower...but oh well)

Cam follower.jpg
Inside CF.jpg
Cams.jpg

16whitemk7

Another Addict
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE 6mt
For those who have the F'ing Banjo bolt like I do.....I'll tell you what I did to overcome that damned bolt. It is time consuming and it makes it possible, not easy, just possible for you to get to your cam follower without removing that banjo bolt. Some pics are during the removal of the pump and some are after...I was too busy fighting the pump to grab my phone and take more pics.

And ummm.....I am not responsible if anything bad happens to your engine or if you get hurt or lose your T30 bit or your screws or your mind....

I followed what myflygti said on page 4 comment #82. I'll just go more into detail.

There are 3 screws you have to remove. 2 on the top and 1 on the bottom.
3 screws to remove for CF access.jpg

There are 2 metal lines that run across the front of your engine. There are 2 torx screws holding them in place as shown in the picture below. The one on the left is easy to take off, the one on the right is a bitch. The PCV is all over it laughing in your face....so I placed only the T30 bit on the screw and with the 1/4 box wrench I started loosening it....it takes time and patiance but it comes off.
Tools for CF.jpg
Tools for CF used.jpg

Then I went to the one below and that one was a pain. You have to use an extension on your racket wrench and the same T30 bit and get it in there and loosen it. I took the screw out completely (I don't think you need to, loosening it is enough i believe, but I did it anyway). Just know it's a PITA to put back in without dropping it.

After all this you will realize that not much has changed...you barely get any room to play but you get just enough to where you can pull the pump out with most of the spring exposed but the pesky cam follower wants to come out as well and wont let go of the spring so I used needle nose pliers to push the cam follower inside the pump since it was the only thing stopping me from getting that spring out. Once the spring is free of the cam follower you can get the pump out of the way and finally have access to your cam follower.

If you decide to do all this please make sure the spring is aligned with the cam follower as you push the cam follower back inside the hole. Push the cam follower as gentle as possible. It does require some strength (at least for me it did) but you shouldn't be turning red or cramping your arms either lol....don't try hammering or jamming it in there. Idk if you could actually damage either one so play it safe.

Now you deserve a nice cold beer. (or a couple) :drinking:

When putting everything together, first put the cam follower inside the hole then fight the pump again and get the spring inside of the cam follower after that just do as the OP directed with the exception that you have to tighten those 3 screws that you removed...

I hope this helps those with banjo bolts and those metal lines.

Tr!tan!um

Schnellen geher!
Car(s)
2008 GTI, white
If you are reading this, go check your follower :biggrin:. I'm about to do mine in a minute, had to come print out the DIY first. Time to see what it looks like since I replaced it 6000 miles ago.

Euro4Life

Car(s)
08 GTI 2 door
Sweet Write Up!

I have a few dumb questions...

Where is the Best place To Buy a Cam Follower?!

And how do you know that your cam follower is bad and needs to be replaced?!:attention_whore:

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
Dealer or ecs.. Need to pull it out and check it. By the time you get the CEL it may be too late

http://www.ecstuning.com/

This. My car ran great up until it didn't. By the time I knew something was up I had a holed follower and my APR hpfp and cam had both been devoured... and then the CEL decided to come on. :bonk:

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I replaced my follower a couple weeks ago for the first time after 89,000 miles. I can't find anything in the service records that says it has ever been replaced. Most of the coating is gone and the cam lobe looks like it has had better days.