GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Shine Racing Real Street Springs

aw614

Ready to race!
I didn't know shine made stuff for the mk5 and up cars? I dont think it would have that tubular sway bar as that seems to fit the mk4 and below type cars

-SnowMan-

Ready to race!
Do they raise the suspension? lol.

Sorry, guy in our club had a hard on for Shine racing... showed up with the springs one day and legit looked like he had raised the car.

Herstalp

KermaTDI's description is obviously wrong. Most likely it is copied from the mkiv Shine suspension kit.

The email response stated the springs keep oem ride height. I hope it is late mkv or mkvi height. Early mkv like my 07 are way too high from the factory. I have updated to DriverGear springs but my tires still require more spring rate for hpde.

eurocars

5/17/15 - Never forget
Car(s)
2006 GTI
KermaTDI's description is obviously wrong. Most likely it is copied from the mkiv Shine suspension kit.

The email response stated the springs keep oem ride height. I hope it is late mkv or mkvi height. Early mkv like my 07 are way too high from the factory. I have updated to DriverGear springs but my tires still require more spring rate for hpde.

eibach will make custom springs if you give them the specs

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3

Sorry, guy in our club had a hard on for Shine racing... showed up with the springs one day and legit looked like he had raised the car.

Dick knows his shit. Lowering is stupid without correcting geometry - since most folks don't have the means to correct, Shine leaves stock height but cranks up the rate.

aw614

Ready to race!

His stuff is legit though and he backs it up.

I think this huge thread on vortex which was quite informative minus broken links of pictures helps explain improper lowering on the mk4s, which I remember shine selling stuff for.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?1363022

-SnowMan-

Ready to race!
Dick knows his shit. Lowering is stupid without correcting geometry - since most folks don't have the means to correct, Shine leaves stock height but cranks up the rate.

His stuff is legit though and he backs it up.

I think this huge thread on vortex which was quite informative minus broken links of pictures helps explain improper lowering on the mk4s, which I remember shine selling stuff for.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?1363022

Yea, he does know his stuff. But, when a guy rolls in with his mk2 jetta, that he threw a tdi transmission into w/ a petrol 2.slow (read has to push it to 3.5k rpm to get moving...), and starts talking about how the springs make it better than any other vw... It rubs you the wrong way.

Last I heard Shine went out of business?

aw614

Ready to race!
Yea, he does know his stuff. But, when a guy rolls in with his mk2 jetta, that he threw a tdi transmission into w/ a petrol 2.slow (read has to push it to 3.5k rpm to get moving...), and starts talking about how the springs make it better than any other vw... It rubs you the wrong way.

Same thing as being rubbed the wrong way when many of the stance bros say things about tracking fwd and keeping it at optimal ride height being stupid and pointless.

From this thread, it looks like he still answers emails, etc and just closed up shop
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...-closing-the-workshop-a-sad-day&highlight=srs

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008
Volkswagens have between 65-70% of their weight over their front wheels

Definitely wrong. On a stock MkV/VI GTI it's 60/61 %. :wink:

Increasing spring rates without lowering is a proper idea though.
On the other hand you just need to fit a set of A3 3.2 S-Line
springs which a found cheaply used. Mate them with Bilsteins,
Konis or Öhlins and you're fine.

JRutter

old man
Increasing spring rates without lowering is a proper idea though.
On the other hand you just need to fit a set of A3 3.2 S-Line
springs which a found cheaply used. Mate them with Bilsteins,
Konis or Öhlins and you're fine.

Indeed. I still have mine if anyone wants to try them pm an offer...

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3

If he did go out, it was likely because he retired, or lost his lease or building for some reason. I used to live a couple miles from his shop in Walpole, his place was usually busy.

Not sure why that should rub you the wrong way, unless, you got beat by said car?

Last edited:

-SnowMan-

Ready to race!
If he did go out, it was likely because he retired, or lost his lease or building for some reason. I used to live a couple miles from his shop in Walpole, his place was usually busy.

Not sure why that should rub you the wrong way, unless, you got beat by said car?

The guy had a TDI tranny and swapped in a 2.Slow motor. The way the TDI tranny is geared he could not get into first gear without stalling unless he slipped the clutch from like 3500 rpm...

Someone throwing out racing threats like that should at least have a proper working drive train.

That being said, Shine is known for good track components.